kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Universal's winning streak since December (Violent Night, Puss in Boots, M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear all doing either great or acceptable levels of business) got me looking up their slate for the rest of the year.

4/7: The Super Mario Bros. Movie

4/14: Renfield

5/19: Fast X

6/9: Strays

7/21: Oppenheimer

8/11: The Last Voyage of the Demeter

8/18: Untitled Please Don't Destroy Comedy

10/13: The Exorcist

11/17: Trolls 3

12/22: Illumination's Ducks

They have a pretty strong line-up through July at least (though Strays looks like it could end up either another Sausage Party/Good Boys or The Happytime Murders), though their fourth quarter looks pretty flat since it's unlikely they'll release two animated movies so close to each other (Trolls 3 is the one likely to move since Disney's Wish is already on Thanksgiving the following week). On their specialty side, Focus is looking to have a potentially good year too with a bunch of mainstream-friendly projects on deck (Book Club 2 in May, Wes Anderson's mega-star-studded Asteroid City in June, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 in September, new Alexander Payne movie in November...they also have the Amy Winehouse biopic which is likely to be a fourth quarter release as well as the Kathryn Newton-starring/Diablo Cody-written Frankenstein-with-a-twist comedy Lisa Frankenstein which doesn't have a date yet).

Apparently Dreamworks is working on a movie that's basically Luca but with teens, so I can see that coming in September.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Universal and Paramount have such good overall diverse slates and still disney will win every year cause they own the biggest IPs

Sony's looking to have a pretty diverse slate too, though their fourth quarter is currently lacking a bit as well since there doesn't seem to be an indication that the Ghostbusters sequel will make it to its current December 20 date (no casting news, etc.). They too have a couple of made movies that need to be dated (mostly dramas) so the idea that studios have abandoned the non-tentpole is looking largely unfounded.

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

Lionsgate’s Jesus Revolution, which has a 99% Rotten Tomatoes audience score, despite reviews at 56% rotten. Reviews don’t matter: the film plays to its core faith-based crowd. Does the distributor have another I Can Only Imagine on its hands? It appear so. Jon Erwin co-directed both movies. That 2018 movie opened to $17.1M and legged out to a 4.8 multiple with $83.4M stateside. Jesus Revolution’s two-day gross saw AMC leading in ticket sales (26%), with Regal not far behind at 23% and Cinemark third at 18%.

I love this breakdown of sales by theater chain, Deadline should report that sort of info more often.

• Like 1

So, this does beat the Brady demo...and the heartland is coming to this movie...https://deadline.com/2023/02/box-office-cocaine-bear-jesus-revolution-ant-man-and-the-wasp-1235269877/

"Jesus Revolution pulled in 59% women, 80% over 35, 68% over 45, and 53% over 55  years old. Diversity demos were 64% Caucasian, 21% Latino and Hipanic, 5% Black and 10% Asian/other. Yes, Jesus was popular in the Midwest and South, the Bible belt, where five of the top theaters were. However, there were followers on the West coast, where another top five top theaters hailed form, including No. 1 at the Spectrum in Irvine. Jesus didn’t chart high in NYC, with the city’s top grossing theater being the Union Square, no. 55 in the pic’s run."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got out of Cocaine Bear and one of the most awkward theater experiences I've ever had. A room full of people clearly excited and ready to go, and just pure silence outside of one or two sequences. Secondhand embarrassment type shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 6

43 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

Just got out of Cocaine Bear and one of the most awkward theater experiences I've ever had. A room full of people clearly excited and ready to go, and just pure silence outside of one or two sequences. Secondhand embarrassment type shit.

People were forcing laughs hard early on until it suddenly deflated

• Like 2

Though to Cocaine Bear's credit, at least it looks 10 times better than Strays. I saw the trailer for the first time before that film and it was some of the most painful 2 minutes of my life. If that isn't the worst movie of the year, then we are in deep, deep, deep trouble.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

Though to Cocaine Bear's credit, at least it looks 10 times better than Strays. I saw the trailer for the first time before that film and it was some of the most painful 2 minutes of my life. If that isn't the worst movie of the year, then we are in deep, deep, deep trouble.

My audience was laughing there ass off during the trailer. Should be a hit.

1 hour ago, Eric Bear said:

That's because the film was not that funny or good. With a better screenplay and director this could have been something special.

20 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

Strays got the biggest reaction out of anything during my screening, including Cocaine Bear itself. 😬 I suppose it seemed like they included every joke they have in the trailer, but yeesh.

7 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Strays got the biggest reaction out of anything during my screening, including Cocaine Bear itself. 😬 I suppose it seemed like they included every joke they have in the trailer, but yeesh.

Strays being a hit won't be surprising at all. Everybody loves Dogs. Also liked how it was the only red band trailer out of 4 that's actually took advantage of being red band. The Machine and Evil Dead Rise might as well have been green band.

Edited by Nikostar

37 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

strays looks funny AF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bear said:

My audience was the opposite: pretty quiet to start, then gradually got to the point where they repeated every single joke line like it was the funniest thing they'd ever heard.

And yeah, Strays looks baaaad. Like, Happytime Murders level of "foulmouthed things that are not typically foulmouthed" bad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Just gonna earmark this for May when Guardians comes out, or two weeks till the Oscars.

I dont get why you keep bringing up oscars into this? Sure Bassett will get it.se gave a good performance. Joker performances have gotten like what 2 oscars. Joker 2019 got multiple oscars. 

Like MCU will be fine obviously. Movies still do well and audiences turn up for most of them.

Want to be excited for it due to the talent both in front and behind the camera + I've been enjoying Universal's recent string of !wacky concept! movies (seeing Cocaine Bear tomorrow afternoon) but Strays just looks tired IMO. This comedy subgenre of "R-rated versions of kids movies" that was probably born out of Ted becoming a far bigger hit than anyone expected 11 years ago could really use a sabbatical. Maybe a permanent one.

• Like 2