filmlover

The 95th Academy Awards official live feed thread | EEAAO and All Quiet win most of the awards. A24 reigns supreme and Asian Excellence is high

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

Jamie Lee Curtis winning Best Supporting Actress is the biggest crock of utter bullshit I've seen in years. So many other better performances in her category that were not even nominated, and she was also outclassed by her fellow EEAAO nominee Stephanie Hsu. 

The Oscars has never been fair or just.  This is just a long line in a litany of awards that were not deserved.  It'll never change.

• Like 1

i am interested to see what the daniels do next. they've got that Universal deal curious to see if they go big budget when i think the low fi is a big part of their appeal. I'd be surprised if they ever make a movie that gets Oscar attention but who knows.

Looking back on this awards season, this year kind of crushed the "every Best Picture nominee must win at least one award" notion dead in the end. Going in it looked like Elvis would at least win one tech even if Butler lost or that Condon would be the prize for Banshees but nope. Just goes to show that at the end of the day, stats don't really matter and voters are just going to vote for whoever they like best.

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I didn't watch live, just seeing that In Memoriam did the "scan the QR code" thing for all the people they left out of the show?! And seeing some of names they left out, yikes...

https://ew.com/awards/oscars/2023-oscars-in-memoriam-anne-heche-leslie-jordan-tom-sizemore-left-out/

Leaving out one of the stars of one of the Best Picture nominees that passed away over the past year (Charlbi Dean of Triangle of Sadness) had to be the biggest "oof" of all.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is a nice gesture 

tm1eDiF.jpg

I’ve never seen the big deal about gendered bathrooms anyways. At home, we use the same bathroom that the other gender uses, bathrooms have stalls where no one can see you, and last I checked, public restrooms are mostly fucking disgusting(especially women’s, I had to clean them) so who is wanting to get sexy time with a woman?

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looking back on this awards season, this year kind of crushed the "every Best Picture nominee must win at least one award" notion dead in the end. Going in it looked like Elvis would at least win one tech even if Butler lost or that Condon would be the prize for Banshees but nope. Just goes to show that at the end of the day, stats don't really matter and voters are just going to vote for whoever they like best.

More like those dislike EEAAO just go abstained. 

At one point I feel like they can just put Quan in lead actor category and he still win over Fraser or Austin. And that will allow James Hong go supporting actor race instead.  

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Leaving out one of the stars of one of the Best Picture nominees that passed away over the past year (Charlbi Dean of Triangle of Sadness) had to be the biggest "oof" of all.

They left out Luke Perry when Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was up for Best Picture, but people said he was a minor player in it and more of a TV star (so he'd make In Memoriam at the Emmys). I thought for sure they would include Charlbi because her death was so shocking and she's a lead of a Best Picture nominee this year. But they also omitted some seriously established American stars, not even people who were ~problematic or anything (though that's never stopped anyone from being included in the tribute before). People complained that year the pictures flashed by really quickly, but you can get in more stars that way.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Avatar 2 get more Oscar than a lot of supposed actual best Picture contender like Banshees and Tar.

Avatar 2 has also become the sixth JC's film that win at the Best VFX Oscar, joining Aliens, The Abyss, T2, Titanic, Avatar and now Avatar 2. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

It's a bit crazy how Fabelmans fell off. I remember when it premiered the reactions were like "The Oscar race is over". There was no actual backlash against it, it just faded away slowly instead. Michelle Williams probably didn't help by going for Best Actress instead of what would have probably been a sweep in what ended up being an unsettled Supporting Actress race.

Feels like an old fashioned "this movie flopped" effect. 

16 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So happy to see an increase and for a telecast that didn't go crazy trying to be "trendy". Maybe they'll leave things alone next year and they've staved off the threat of more popular/hashtag Oscars for good.

...or maybe everyone just watched hoping for The Slap Part 2....

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl