Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/10-12 | Weekend Estimates: Scream VI 44.5 (franchise best!), Creed III 27.2, LXV 12.3 #AintManIII 7, Cocaine Bear I 6.2

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Not surprised 65 went up, it’s Saturday numbers around me were ridiculous. I saw one sell-out, thought “okay… must be a group rental.” Then the next show sold out too… then the next one.

Again, what is in Canada's drinking water?

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like these past few months have been a real slap in the face to those who claimed "movie theaters are dead for everything but spectacles." Obviously some genres still need to show stronger signs of life, but it's wild to think that of the four sequels opening over as many weeks this month, it's looking like the comic book one that'll post the smallest opening (by quite a bit?) of them all.

I mean those sequels are still reliant on PLFs and are basically nothing more than nostalgic toy commercials designed to make people buy Funko Pops and Fortnite skins. There's no difference between Creed/Scream/John Wick compared to Top Gun/Marvel/Jurassic World in terms of thier intentions and box office potential. When we see midbudget originals and specialty releases make the numbers they likely would have made pre-pandemic (and barring a couple exceptions, we are still not there), then we'll talk.

• Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Eric the Velocipastor said:

I mean those sequels are still reliant on PLFs and are basically nothing more than nostalgic toy commercials designed to make people buy Funko Pops and Fortnite skins. There's no difference between Creed/Scream/John Wick compared to Top Gun/Marvel/Jurassic World in terms of thier intentions and box office potential. When we see midbudget originals and specialty releases make the numbers they likely would have made pre-pandemic (and barring a couple exceptions, we are still not there), then we'll talk.

Well, the success of M3GAN and Cocaine Bear (two movies that were largely sold on their silly concepts) is certainly a start. The fact there's been no true flops so far this year (though maybe Shazam about to change that with its current outlook?) and that everything has either matched or exceeded expectations (other than I guess Ant-Man but even that's going to still finish with about $220M or thereabouts so it still sold a bunch of tickets) makes me feel good about the rest of 2023.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, John Marston said:

Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is a flop and it will likely remain a flop as there is no more home media market to save it. Even Bob Iger seems to realize that killing the home media market might have been a mistake

I am to this day a home media guy. I like streaming, but I really love the old fashioned way of owning something and being able to touch with my hands.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I've said this before but Paramount is missing a trick not reviving Scary Movie. You could have the whole requel thing with Anna Faris and Regina Hall plus there's a ton of movies that can be parodied. 

Do they have the rights or are they still caught up in whatever remains of Weinstein's assets? I do think a Scary Movie revival with Faris and Hall back would have big potential now since there's been a lot of horror movies over the past couple of years that are easily recognizable and lend themselves to parody (the previous one without them flopped but it also came out at a time when the horror genre was stuck in a rut mostly producing quickly forgotten schlock). They can get a whole bunch of cameos too as a selling point, including some surprise ones not featured in the marketing from people you would never expect to see in a Scary Movie sequel like Meryl lol.

Edited by filmlover

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Do they have the rights or are they still caught up in whatever remains of Weinstein's assets? I do think a Scary Movie revival with Faris and Hall back would have big potential now since there's been a lot of horror movies over the past couple of years that are easily recognizable and lend themselves to parody (the previous one without them flopped but it also came out at a time when the horror genre was stuck in a rut mostly producing quickly forgotten schlock). They can get a whole bunch of cameos too as a selling point, including some surprise ones not featured in the marketing from people you would never expect to see in a Scary Movie sequel like Meryl lol.

Scary Movie came out in 2000 so I assume the rights are with Paramount or Spyglass. I agree that the time is right for a new film, it's been a decade since Scary Movie 5 and the 25th anniversary is in two years time. 

It's not just the films of the last few years that can be parodied, some of the iconic scenes from the first Scary Movie could easily be referenced in a new film. 

Scary Movie could also be done fairly cheaply, maybe same sort of budget as Scream V, maybe a bit lower.

You’re probably right that a Scary Movie could be done, but god I hate those movies. Every single one of them. Remember going to see the first one actually mortified about what I was watching. 

I love a good spoof. But when you’re spoofing what’s already a kind of spoof it’s just painful. 

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

You’re probably right that a Scary Movie could be done, but god I hate those movies. Every single one of them. Remember going to see the first one actually mortified about what I was watching. 

I love a good spoof. But when you’re spoofing what’s already a kind of spoof it’s just painful. 

Still makes me laugh that the first Scary Movie is bigger than the movie it was parodying 

• Haha 2