filmlover

Best Actor Predictions: 2023

Obviously nothing is a lock a year in advance, but unless the movie is a disaster, this has to be Bradley Cooper's to lose, right? The first images of him in Maestro are serving the same vibes as the first pictures of DDL in Lincoln, and the movie is already an early frontrunner for Makeup (a surprisingly helpful win for the acting categories at the most recent ceremonies).

Searchlight picking up Magazine Dreams is great news for Jonathan Majors. Clearly having a star moment right now.

Oppenheimer is looking to be Nolan's first actual acting showcase in a while, so Cillian Murphy seems like a good bet for a nomination provided the movie lives up to the hype.

Edited by filmlover

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Obviously nothing is a lock a year in advance, but unless the movie is a disaster, this has to be Bradley Cooper's to lose, right?

Considering it's Bradley casting himself as a legendary gay Jewish composer/conducter when he is neither Jewish nor gay, there are going to be a lot of people taking issue with that around release time. The discontent some had about Berg's casting for his parents is gonna be small potatoes in comparison

Edited by 4815162342

13 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Considering it's Bradley casting himself as a legendary gay Jewish composer/conducter when he is neither Jewish nor gay, there are going to be a lot of people taking issue with that around release time. The discontent some had about Berg's casting for his parents is gonna be small potatoes in comparison

There was already controversy of sorts when the first photos were released (re: the fake nose) so I feel like they're already planning to tackle that when the time comes. As long as the movie (and his performance) delivers, I doubt voters are gonna care. We've already know they have no problem shrugging off controversy/mudslinging.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, filmlover said:

Obviously nothing is a lock a year in advance, but unless the movie is a disaster, this has to be Bradley Cooper's to lose, right? The first images of him in Maestro are serving the same vibes as the first pictures of DDL in Lincoln, and the movie is already an early frontrunner for Makeup (a surprisingly helpful win for the acting categories at the most recent ceremonies).

Searchlight picking up Magazine Dreams is great news for Jonathan Majors. Clearly having a star moment right now.

Oppenheimer is looking to be Nolan's first actual acting showcase in a while, so Cillian Murphy seems like a good bet for a nomination provided the movie lives up to the hype.

Call me crazy but hear me out... I have a feeling that Majors will have a nomination for best actor and best supporting actor. The supporting nom will be for creed 3. 

• Astonished 1

If Oppenheimer ends up a Top 5 contender I think one of its actors is bound to get in and Murphy looks to have the biggest role out of everyone (SAG will likely go nuts for it as a historical drama with that bonkers ensemble). But it all depends on the movie and the competition for however remaining spots there are. Leo and BCoop are the only contenders in this category at the moment whose films would have to completely flop in order to miss.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If Oppenheimer ends up a Top 5 contender I think one of its actors is bound to get in and Murphy looks to have the biggest role out of everyone (SAG will likely go nuts for it as a historical drama with that bonkers ensemble). But it all depends on the movie and the competition for however remaining spots there are. Leo and BCoop are the only contenders in this category at the moment whose films would have to completely flop in order to miss.

Nolan can't write characters and the cast is lily white and male. I think actors will pass on this and it's more likely to be embraced for its technicals instead

• ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Nolan can't write characters and the cast is lily white and male. I think actors will pass on this and it's more likely to be embraced for its technicals instead

To me the cast in Oppenheimer in baity enough for SAG's attention. Remember they nominate House of Gucci and BR for best ensemble cast? And Trial of Chicago 7 did won with almost all white-male cast. 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

To me the cast in Oppenheimer in baity enough for SAG's attention. Remember they nominate House of Gucci and BR for best ensemble cast? And Trial of Chicago 7 did won with almost all white-male cast. 

Gucci had a bunch of A-listers do funny accents and wear transformative makeup

Trial of Chicago 7 was a Sorkin film and his roles are catnip for actors

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I still think Murphy has a good chance despite Nolan films not getting any actors nominated before. Cilian Murphy is a clear lead in a film that all of the voters are going to see, and he has a narrative of having never been nominated before. This is Universal’s first time distributing a Nolan film and they know better than to just not campaign Murphy. He’s at least a top ten candidate.

17 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I still think Murphy has a good chance despite Nolan films not getting any actors nominated before. Cilian Murphy is a clear lead in a film that all of the voters are going to see, and he has a narrative of having never been nominated before. This is Universal’s first time distributing a Nolan film and they know better than to just not campaign Murphy. He’s at least a top ten candidate.

Ledger won for The Dark Knight. That's Nolan's only acting nomination/win, though.

• Astonished 1

After Seeing GOTG VOL3. it is really making me think they academy needs to get with the times and add a voice/motion capture performance category. Bradley Cooper did just an incredible Job as Rocket. really deserves some recognition for that imo.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1