Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Will it? Neither YN or WWY did much DOM despite the hype. I doubt it beats WWY here. 

I’m infinitely more curious to see what How Will You Live will do DOM, since I think Miyazaki has amassed a legitimately massive following in the west since he “retired” a decade ago. Lots of Miyazaki movies have started to become animation staples in America over the last decade. 

Mainland China

2nd Most Anticipation Imported Release in Douban. Bigger than Cruise, M.I.8

This one probably has cleansing power to remove DS ($518.5M). But, without a trailer we know nothing.

Costliest Project with 7 years worth of Production. (3 years is already highest and major Japanese Film complete with 9-12 months of Productions)

35 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I believe it won’t be doing big like Manga series in US. But let’s see.

56 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The q was predictions for it, and I’m saying the marketing and title are too vague for it to be any kind of anime breakout. It will do your standard 3-6m DOM for these anime movies. 

57 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Nobody mainstream is going to see it and no one in Japan is going to care about if Americans go to see it. Just a weird thing to throw at it.

56 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

the anime base has grown since when wwy came out and most everywhere suzume is considered better film, making more than 10m shouldn't be difficult

2 hours ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

I mean I'm not expecting anything huge from Suzume in terms of breaking out towards the normies. Just was interested to know if the anime fans who went out for those Demon Slayers and Jujutsu Kaisens were excited or not.

Overseas Markets are pretty much fanbase. So, I doubt if it gonna do $10M in either NA, SA or Europe.

For years, it has already been a norm that US-China are polar opposites markets for Japanese Film. You can see this through the difference in Your Name, Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball.

America is typical a Fanbase Market, it won't do much even if critics recommend. Social Media strength is too weak in Western Hemisphere for Shinkai but I am still keeping my hopes for $300M+ WW

Sony is currently handing it's Overseas Rights. Some Countries like Netherlands has Universal &Here in Asia, Philippines &Thailand managed by Warner Bros.. many more.

Things could have been better if Audiences in English Countries show some willingness to watch these movies then $500M WW for a Japanese Film won't have been difficult at all. 

Everywhere I've looked, D&D had between a 25% and 18% drop from Saturday to Sunday in ATTENDANCE (wasn't able to calculate % PLF etc. this is purely based on attendance). Pretty good hold all things considered, but yea I don't see this increasing from estimates. The decrease could be very, very small however, which is a great sign.

I'm surprised D&D opened that high.  But it seems WOM is strong.

I'm surprised John Wick dropped that much.  Hope it will stabilize.

I'm surprised His Only Son opened at #3, a movie nobody here talked about.  

I'm surprised Scream 6, a horror film, had the best hold in the top 10.  As a huge horror fan, I love that it's about to cross $100m!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DTP said:

I'm surprised D&D opened that high.  But it seems WOM is strong.

I'm surprised John Wick dropped that much.  Hope it will stabilize.

I'm surprised His Only Son opened at #3, a movie nobody here talked about.  

I'm surprised Scream 6, a horror film, had the best hold in the top 10.  As a huge horror fan, I love that it's about to cross $100m!

I'm surprised His Only Son did that well, too.  Usually faith-based movies end up at my Cinemark if they are gonna be decently big (so I normally know they are releasing), and both of mine passed on it.

That said, a weekend before Easter is a weekend that would have a faith-based movie do well...

• Like 1

English markets really are a very spoiled market for films lol.

I consider myself to be a big movie person and even I will only watch maybe one or two foreign language films a year if it happens to break out big. The general audience just NEVER watches anything not in english.

Also maybe it's just my family but most older people here still think watching an animated movie becomes a crime or something once you pass the age of like 12

• Like 1