Eric Burnett

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I gotta say. Releasing this over Easter Weekend/Spring Break was a stroke of genius.

Parents have zero reasons not to take their screaming kids. 😆

I always said the Wed before Easter is a GENIUS release date for big animated.  It's like a mini-Xmas release...and if you're good enough, you'll hang around til a June animated release and probably get some late leg help with early school releases starting after the 3rd week of May...

Just now, grey ghost said:

Air and Tetris feels like they're opposites.

One is a feel good story about capitalism and the other pure nightmare fuel about a communist police state. 

Did you like Tetris?  It's currently sitting on my Apple TV watch list, but I lose Apple next month, so I gotta prioritize seeing this (over other Apple things) if I want to see it (b/c I'm not renewing my free year and I doubt my phone is giving me another one)...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Did you like Tetris?  It's currently sitting on my Apple TV watch list, but I lose Apple next month, so I gotta prioritize seeing this (over other Apple things) if I want to see it (b/c I'm not renewing my free year and I doubt my phone is giving me another one)...

Nah, but I watched a few reviews on both films. They're both on my watch list though.

I love Tetris and Jordan is the GOAT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

The numbers say otherwise.  The audience scores say otherwise. Sometimes critics miss and that's okay.  Again, they are human beings with opinions and for whatever reason they didn't get this movie.  Every other metric out there says that they are the outliers. 

People thinking and writing about cinema for a living have different perspectives and priorities from 8-year-olds and their tired parents who go see six movies a year. That's a normal thing. 

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So which one will be bigger. Domestic or OS OW. I think both of them could hit something crazy like 225m. So we will only know for sure on Monday. 

225M?how?

Friday-60M(+126%)

Saturday-54M(-10%)

Sunday-38M(-30%)

$152M OW+$58M=$210M

4 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

225M?how?

Friday-60M(+126%)

Saturday-54M(-10%)

Sunday-38M(-30%)

$152M OW+$58M=$210M

It won't drop on Saturday.  Early signs and trend suggest its not performing like a fan-driven film (otherwise Wednesday should have been way more rabid and in $50-60M).  It's just behaving like a regular family/animated film but with much larger volume.  Saturday should see a small jump from 55-60M Friday.  Maybe not even small, but Good Friday probably adds a little bit of Sat deflation compared to a regular Friday.

Edited by spizzer

9 minutes ago, spizzer said:

It won't drop on Saturday.  Early signs and trend suggest its not performing like a fan-driven film (otherwise Wednesday should have been way more rabid and in $50-60M).  It's just behaving like a regular family/animated film but with much larger volume.  Saturday should see a small jump from 55-60M Friday.  Maybe not even small, but Good Friday probably adds a little bit of Sat deflation compared to a regular Friday.

Family/animated films usually do decrease on the Saturday after Good Friday. This might have a bit broder audience than your typical animated film, but there's definitely reason to believe it might drop.

With these numbers, how can one not consider it a possibilty for the top crown this year? I still have to see this, but regardless of the quality or what the critics are saying, this kind of performace is just insane.

37 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I gotta say. Releasing this over Easter Weekend/Spring Break was a stroke of genius.

Parents have zero reasons not to take their screaming kids. 😆

Seeing movies like Mario in the theater is always a nice reaffirmation that I never, ever, ever want to have kids in my life.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Mulder said:

Dude you're being super obnoxious. You've had a hate-on for this movie since before it came out and now it's just getting kind of pathetic and sad to see you ignoring all evidence that it'll do well and succeed. I get that you're young but my man just step away from the computer for a bit.

well, there are certain  circumstances that make dunking on the Mario movie particularly fun

I am a big Nintendo fan (ask my wii u), but I've found the trailers to be dreadful (looked like the most 50 on Metacritic movie of all time), but apparently, I belong to a very small minority. Because trailer making is an art most studios are very competent in, it's very rare for me to end up with a dramatically different opinion than mainstream audiences in regards to a trailer's quality. 

Its the "me against the world" protecting the sanctity of cinema (ok the sanctity of cinema part is a bit of a joke), that makes my "hate-on" an entertaining experience

The movie has already succeeded and I have lost the fight (I still have the MC score for cope though), but I can still get some fun out of it by teasing those that think that this getting 3x legs off the 5-day is the base scenario and not an insane accomplishment  

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

4 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Seeing movies like Mario in the theater is always a nice reaffirmation that I never, ever, ever want to have kids in my life.

But you're a mod. :hahaha:

You can handle a couple toddlers. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

But you're a mod. :hahaha:

You can handle a couple toddlers. 

It's not even toddlers. They were fine. My screening had a bunch of 9-year-olds who were acting like animals during the entire screening. Even left a giant popcorn mess that was probably a pain for the ushers. Plus they were the kind of annoying kids who love to be the loudest person in the room and disrupt everybody else who want to watch a movie. I can't imagine being those boys' mothers.

• Haha 2