Eric the Minion

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Dude i get this discussions can get a bit excessive etc but come on now you´re not under attack and nobody is pursuing you 

This is a box office forum, people are allowed to dislike your predictions and disagreed with them whatever they want, you´re not God

Referring to past incidents over the months more so than now. Is what it is. I’ve been very right with my predictions, so clearly it wasn’t coming from some immense place of me trying to be biased after all. 

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anywayssss, in fairness to people who aren’t gamers here… like I did mention  before, the hype among gamers for this was absolute nuts ever since the first trailer dropped. I have quite literally never seen anything like it in that demo, and I wasn’t joking. 

Seriously, though, take the bow.

I did on Ant Man 3's previews and Top Gun 2 DOM winning the year (which I called OW last year)...since I have Mario winning this year, I'll take the bow in 2024 if it holds up with you.

And as for Barbie, it will do well...but it's not winning summer:).  It's just not, and I think it will have the Gentleminions trend...but I don't think that will be nearly enough with the packed schedule and the certain lack of PLF for it...I mean, right now, Mario has ALL the PLF for the next 8 days minimum, and has PLF already scheduled next weekend at my locals...that still matters for movies to go really, really big...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Barbie trailer  has 15M views on youtube in three days. :mouthdropped:

However the number of likes is low. How can we explain this? There's obvious interest from the public, but the nerds that have youtube accounts aren't convinced

Edited by Maggie

10 hours ago, spizzer said:

LOL what a fun summer that was.

Up

Hangover

ROTF

Bruno

Potter 6

The Proposal

District 9

Inglorious Basterds

Don't forget Ice Age 3, that was a monster overseas. Young me was super excited to follow the Transformers 2 and IA3 results. Solidified my interest in the box office, 2012 also did later that year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't see BARBIE winning summer especially with how they're trying to hide what the movie really is about.

The movie is coming in more than 3 months, Warner will release a Full trailer in that time

22 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't see BARBIE winning summer especially with how they're trying to hide what the movie really is about.

Didn't it leak which movies Gerwig had Robbie watch/revisit to prep? I think we have an idea. I won't name two of them in case it's considered a spoiler though. Trailer me think of Cat In The Hat, Down With Love and Stepford Wives (Frank Oz one)... None of those are the two movies that kinda hint in a big way where it's gonna go that were on that list though... Also made me think of a more bubble gum spunky Don't Worry Darling in some ways. 

I imagine the influences will be super popular movies from the 80s/90s because that's what Gerwig grew up with... So it should be doubling down on the nostalgia which is good for box office.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Purely anecdotally.. I work in pop culture related social media with mostly millennials and Gen z aged coworkers and I can tell you the hype for Barbie among them is massive. 

Yup. This. It's gonna bonkers unless it's crap (which is honestly still very possible maybe even likely) with the 16 to 46 crowd. People that don't see many movies are texting me about... I get the feeling it's gonna be pretty big. Not sure it wins the summer though. I do expect an impressive OW DOM for sure though.

• Like 1

Hopefully this makes Universal reconsider putting FNAF day-and-date streaming. It’s not getting anywhere near Mario numbers even with an exclusive theatrical run, but it could easily do Megan numbers.

Also as a Gen-Z myself, and probably the forum’s resident tiktoker, Barbie is going to be massive. It’s this year’s Rise of Gru. Wont be AS big as that film, but a 75/230 run wouldn’t surprise me.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The thing with Barbie is isnt it something more for girls and women?. I mean i dont have kids and dont know how kids think these days, but in my day a male kid wouldnt be seen dead going to see Barbie lol.

Yeah, I definitely think this will heavily skew female and will have a more limited demographic compared to something like Mario.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. This. It's gonna bonkers unless it's crap (which is honestly still very possible maybe even likely) with the 16 to 46 crowd. People that don't see many movies are texting me about... I get the feeling it's gonna be pretty big. Not sure it wins the summer though. I do expect an impressive OW DOM for sure though.

The reception most certainly needs to be there for winning the summer. Given the involvement of people like Gerwig and Gosling, I’m highly inclined to believe it’s gonna be a good film for what it’s going for.  Just seems like a strange group of people to hop on this bandwagon otherwise. 

Edited by MovieMan89

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hopefully this makes Universal reconsider putting FNAF day-and-date streaming. It’s not getting anywhere near Mario numbers even with an exclusive theatrical run, but it could easily do Megan numbers.

Also as a Gen-Z myself, and probably the forum’s resident tiktoker, Barbie is going to be massive. It’s this year’s Rise of Gru. Wont be AS big as that film, but a 75/230 run wouldn’t surprise me.

I could really see a run like this, something like 400-500M worldwide with good WOM which is a REALLY good run. I just think that those predictions that I am seing of winning summer or making 1B are a big reach. I could be wrong though....