Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

What would SAT & SUN & MON look like? I don't really know how easter weekend works. Will we see an increase on SAT?

Monday would depend on how many are on spring break still... Quite a few but nothing insane though. Easter isn't a huge holiday in the US. Hasn't been for year. Lotta people take off on Good Friday but few actually celebrate it as they once did... It's more a reason to take a day in early spring. Last super big days will be today and tomorrow. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Seeing some confusion here about the $59M figure. That number was directly reported by Universal, which is effectively the same as comScore, not any outside sources or made up by Deadline. 

It may end up off, but let's keep facts in line before blaming outlets for any misreporting. The studio may have just jumped the gun and overcorrected after being so low before.

It was Universal all along? Lmao. They got too cocky. 

• Astonished 1

57 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Seeing some confusion here about the $59M figure. That number was directly reported by Universal, which is effectively the same as comScore, not any outside sources or made up by Deadline. 

It may end up off, but let's keep facts in line before blaming outlets for any misreporting. The studio may have just jumped the gun and overcorrected after being so low before.

That explains Deadline posting it, they will usually go low.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It was Universal all along? Lmao. They got too cocky. 

This was hours after they also predicted they'd only do 141 million over the 5 day even though their figures they gave came out to 150. I want whatever their smoking.

Edited by screambaby

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Well, after 2 months of boring BO results, this movie has certainly brought me back! What did I miss?

I don't know... I thought the Creed III, Wick Chapter 4 and, even, Dungeons & Dragons (given expectations before the review were glowing) all opened very well or, at least, well. Of course, not Mario numbers... But, the latest Creed and Wick will be the top grossers in each franchise and all the ones that came prior opened prior to the pandemic when box office was in a healthier state.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't know... I thought the Creed III, Wick Chapter 4 and, even, Dungeons & Dragons (given expectations before the review were glowing) all opened very well or, at least, well. Of course, not Mario numbers... But, the latest Creed and Wick will be the top grossers in each franchise and all the ones that came prior opened prior to the pandemic when box office was in a healthier state.

I mean I don't disagree with your statement, but I wouldn't consider them runs I'd want to track on a micro level, just keeping up with surface level reports is usually good enough for me, which is why I only frequent here for big runs lol

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Best Opening True Fridays (i.e. Opening Friday sans Thursday Previews)

1. Avengers: Endgame (2019) — 97.5 million
  2. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) — 72.0 million
  3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) — 67.3 million
  4. Jurassic World (2015) — 63.5 million
  5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 62.1 million

It's crazy to think but it's very likely that had Mario opened with a typical domestic release (Friday OD), it would be in the list above. 

• Like 3

Poor Disney Animation and Pixar. How the mighty have fallen. Behind Dreamsworks and Illumination. I guess that's what happens when you care about inserting messages in your movies than entertaining an audience. Maybe Elemental can be break out hit but I think it might get lost in the shuffle of a very crowded June. Trailers so far haven't been all that appealing for it.

Edited by Godzilla
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Poor Disney Animation and Pixar. How the mighty have fallen. Behind Dreamsworks and Illumination. I guess that's what happens when you care about inserting messages in your movies than entertaining an audience. Maybe Elemental can be break out hit but I think it might get lost in the shuffle of a very crowded June. Trailers so far haven't been all that appealing for it.

I mean, there are messages in their huge hits too but they're just better movies. No one wanted Lightyear and Strange World... Even if they were good or really good they wouldn't have made much more... That's what hurt those most of all. This comes across as a baiting post. Their biggest issue is likely releasing too many in a row straight to streaming. People really liked Luca and Turning Red. Frozen, Frozen II, Zootopia, Coco, Toy Story 4, etc. are littered with messages and all did extremely well. Apologies if you were just being sarcastic...

• Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So 53 to 55... Still great but that 59 had me hoping for 60. Wonder if it sees a bump today or a slight decrease?

really wish that 59 number didn’t come out because now everyone’s heart is set on it even though it was ridiculous. it’s made 55 seem less exciting which is so not true

13 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

pretty much every movie disney has made the past few years, from star war to pixar to marvel, has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. they are so lost and it is showing