Eric S'ennui

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

37 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

LOL, ViewerAnon has to be responding to melodramatics like this:

Critics and culture writers, being totally normal about the Super Mario movie...

how did you get your hands on my diary?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

mario might be an animated movie, but does it have animated movie demos? that's where the legs come from

I’m just saying every time we have a movie that break out massively and goes this high for opening + has fantastic audience scores, the legs are always there. With maybe the exception of IW/EG since there was a decade of build up front-loading happening there. Even then, legs were solid. 

5 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I don’t get how anything Lowery or Kohn are saying is over-dramatic or even wrong.

The tweet headline is misleading, as Lowery didn't actually say anything about Mario in his interview.

Also, how kids process entertainment may not match what adults think. I remember when I was a teenager and music videos were big on TV, my parents lamented how my generation wouldn't be able to attach memories to songs like they had. They felt the existence of music videos meant that's all we would ever remember of a song once we heard it. Obviously, that wasn't true for Gen X/millennials: even when MTV played videos all day, you still heard music on the radio, at the store, parties, concerts, etc., and formed personal memories of those times attached to the songs playing. The music video was just a bonus memory. However, my parents made some boomer assumptions that the youths were experiencing art in a lesser way, because our experience with it was a bit different than theirs.

It seems to me that 8 year olds being delighted by a movie could lead to a habit of moviegoing by them. Will their tastes evolve as they get older? Probably. Would it be nice if a children's movie with a 95 on Metacritic could make $600M? The critics seem to think they would love that (but then how would they get rage clicks?). The shows/movies I watched and enjoyed as a kid weren't always great, whether they were based on IP or not. Every era has its schlock and gems that slip through the cracks.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

mario might be an animated movie, but does it have animated movie demos? that's where the legs come from

Does anyone have Simpsons movie demos? That the only big animated films that didn't have significantly better than normal legs (for a generic movie). 

1 hour ago, thedude11 said:

korea, japan and malaysia haven’t even opened yet

South Korea Pre-sales 870 tix sold (T-15)

Japan has 50% chance for over Minions 2, we have extremely strong release over next two weeks

Not sure about Malaysia &Philippines but so far Asia has been disappointing (under Minions 2)