Eric the Minion

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I really want to go watch Mario, but I can't see it until the 14th because of international release shuffles. We're getting Dungeons and Dragons tomorrow instead.

Opens here on the 19th  🙃

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

at the Euro numbers, was thought it was a Sega/Sony continent?  

The UK generally leaned Sega/Sony--especially in comparison to the US and Japan--but Nintendo has grown there a lot with the Switch and earlier with the Wii. And Nintendo has always been big in most of the rest of Europe.

15 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

What´s the record for biggest worldwide opening for animated movie and could Mario maybe take that?

Frozen 2 with $358.5 million.

Edited by KP1025
Corrected figure
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont think 1bil is locked for Mario. Its WW OW is going to be around what?, 300mil?, and thats for 5 days.

Reviews will hurt it long term, regardless of the scores Nintendo fanboys are giving it right now.

In fact it would of been interesting to see what its opening would of been if critic reviews had come 2 oe 3 weeks ago, not 2 or 3 days before opening.

• Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I dont think 1bil is locked for Mario. Its WW OW is going to be around what?, 300mil?, and thats for 5 days.

Reviews will hurt it long term, regardless of the scores Nintendo fanboys are giving it right now.

In fact it would of been interesting to see what its opening would of been if critic reviews had come 2 oe 3 weeks ago, not 2 or 3 days before opening.

It got an A Cinemascore, which is a way better indicator of legs compared to critic reviews.

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

It doesn't need to make 1B to be a hit. Whether it finishes with 800M or 1B, it's already a franchise for Universal.

10 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

The UK generally leaned Sega/Sony--especially in comparison to the US and Japan--but Nintendo has grown there a lot with the Switch and earlier with the Wii. And Nintendo has always been big in most of the rest of Europe.

It's more simple than that, Nintendo exists beyond the console wars because they appeal to more than just hardcore gamers. 

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Reviews will have literally no impact. 

8 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Feels more like 350-360M+ ww OW with a few markets to spare (only SK and Japan are big ones among them though). If it keeps exploding through the weekend, could see this go even higher.

Edited by JustLurking

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

It doesn't need to make 1B to be a hit. Whether it finishes with 800M or 1B, it's already a franchise for Universal.

There are posts in this threads tlaking about 1bil, someone even said its a lock. Talking about it being no.1 for the year, zero chance, ZERO.

Poeple also acting like it just had a 100mil Wednesday or something, and not a solid 32mil. This may be an animated movie but its about Mario, something a lot of adults like too.

I wont be at all surprised if this finishes in the 800mil WW range.

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

Audience scores are glowing over several markets and not everyone is a die hard Nintendo fanboy either. The amount of people watching this extends to Nintendo nerds  and WOM is great. 1B is a lock with a 300M+ opening. Not to mention this is the only family option until like June.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Poeple also acting like it just had a 100mil Wednesday or something, and not a solid 32mil. This may be an animated movie but its about Mario, something a lot of adults like too.

The word "solid" in combination with a 32M (Wednesday) for an animated movie in April classifies as an oxymoron.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

There are posts in this threads tlaking about 1bil, someone even said its a lock. Talking about it being no.1 for the year, zero chance, ZERO.

I wont be at all surprised if this finishes in the 800mil WW range.

It is going to open bigger than most CBMs of the past 2 years. It's breaking records of animated movies overseas. You might have another movie in mind for the worldwide crown and that is perfectly fine, but to not entertain the idea that this could be the biggest of the year given the numbers AND reactions is just acting blind.

What's your number one movie for the year?

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The word "solid" in combination with a 32M (Wednesday) for an animated movie in April classifies as an oxymoron.

For an animated movie. There will be just as many, if not way more adults seeing this than kids and teenagers.

Its split wont be the same as for something like Frozen imo.

Lets see how it does next weekend.

• Knock It Off 1