Eric the Fall Guy

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Also you guys aren't giving The Flash any love, WB seems to think they've got a TGM level comic book movie on hands and Keaton nostalgia will draw out the middle aged crowd

Guardians, Flash, and Spider-Verse all oddly feel like wildcards now. Superhero fatigue has finally set in amongst even the diehard fanboys, so it does feel like all of these films could end up being disappointments. And Guardians 3 is looking like it'll barely get past Ant-Man 3's opening judging by the Tracking Thread.

But, and this is weird to say, Flash and Spider-Verse do seem like they have more going for them and can offset fatigue. Spider-Verse I feel like it at least should match its predecessor, though it could just be another HTTYD 2 where everybody expects an obvious increase and then it just drops to like 150M for no discernible reason. And Flash does have Keaton nostalgia and it screening at Cinemacon early does indicate a lot of confidence. Plus DC fans should at least be invested enough to see how this movie sets up the new Gunnverse. So I can honestly see it at least going over Guardians, which is just insane to even say now.

• Like 1

I would not bet on SH movies at this point to have a mega breakout. Next breakout has to do something very new to the genre and I dont see what they can do from that perspective. 

BTW Deadline is saying 26m for Mario and 3.5m for Air. I hope that is true but Mario will be going higher for sure and not sure if Air goes that high. 

• Thanks 1

After No Way Home made ungodly money I'm wondering is Spider-verse 2 can expand it's market by alot.

It might pull a John Wick 4 and have an impressive OW but end up frontloaded.

The trailers do pretty well for what it's worth. 

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

After No Way Home made ungodly money I'm wondering is Spider-verse 2 can expand it's market by alot.

It might pull a John Wick 4 and have an impressive OW but end up frontloaded.

The trailers do pretty well for what it's worth. 

Sony should convince Tom Holland/Andrew G/Tobey M to voice Animated versions of Peter Parker/Spideys in the Spider-verse movie. Then the movie can blow up big time for sure :-)

Screw it. I'm throwing all my summer opinions today, let's go with my big, ultra-controversial hot take. Might even make a club if I have time.

I think Haunted Mansion's going over Oppenheimer and Barbie (not combined of course). Universal's been pushing Oppy hard for months. I've gotten the trailer a bunch of times, TV spots have aired during NBA games and the Oscars, there's been a bunch of eye-catching posters. But no matter what, it's been stuck at 17% in Awareness over on The Quorum for months and months and months. That's a problem. Plus these adult counterprogrammers don't really have the same appeal as they used to and while I like Cillian Murphy, I feel like recasting him with a DiCaprio or a Cooper or a Bale would have gotten people more excited and make the ensemble cast stand out even more. Post-COVID, it's clear for non-franchise films that starpower is a much bigger deal than it was before. Hell, starpower helped out the new Scream and Creed movies. And while it's getting tons of memes online, The Quroum is also indicating that while people know a Barbie movie is coming out that people aren't excited in checking it out. And I still think that in the end this is a film that seems lost in terms of who it wants to aim itself towards, which isn't a good thing.

Haunted Mansion meanwhile has a really fun trailer and a good cast and creative team behind it, plus the ride itself has a very devoted fanbase that seems on board with the movie's vibes. It's very dependent on good reviews, but I can see Mansion doing like 135M, while Oppy and Barbie do about 105M a piece.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

the only thing i worry about Mario if it has normal animated movie legs or frontloaded superhero legs

its improbable for Mario to have animated movie legs with a SH kind of opening. That said it will do much better than a MCU or DCU movies.

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Sony should convince Tom Holland/Andrew G/Tobey M to voice Animated versions of Peter Parker/Spideys in the Spider-verse movie. Then the movie can blow up big time for sure 🙂

i mean if rumors are true about across and beyond, maybe

1 minute ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Screw it. I'm throwing all my summer opinions today, let's go with my big, ultra-controversial hot take. Might even make a club if I have time.

I think Haunted Mansion's going over Oppenheimer and Barbie (not combined of course). Universal's been pushing Oppy hard for months. I've gotten the trailer a bunch of times, TV spots have aired during NBA games and the Oscars, there's been a bunch of eye-catching posters. But no matter what, it's been stuck at 17% in Awareness over on The Quorum for months and months and months. That's a problem. Plus these adult counterprogrammers don't really have the same appeal as they used to and while I like Cillian Murphy, I feel like recasting him with a DiCaprio or a Cooper or a Bale would have gotten people more excited and make the ensemble cast stand out even more. Post-COVID, it's clear for non-franchise films that starpower is a much bigger deal than it was before. Hell, starpower helped out the new Scream and Creed movies. And while it's getting tons of memes online, The Quroum is also indicating that while people know a Barbie movie is coming out that people aren't excited in checking it out. And I still think that in the end this is a film that seems lost in terms of who it wants to aim itself towards, which isn't a good thing.

Haunted Mansion meanwhile has a really fun trailer and a good cast and creative team behind it, plus the ride itself has a very devoted fanbase that seems on board with the movie's vibes. It's very dependent on good reviews, but I can see Mansion doing like 135M, while Oppy and Barbie do about 105M a piece.

There is a still a HUGE question mark when it comes to Quorum. I am not buying the data at this point. There is no way only 1 in 6 among movie goers know about Oppenheimer as the movie had trailer with Avatar Ways of Water plus its all over social media even when the discussion is about Barbie. Let us wait for Industry tracking close to release before we confirm actual buzz about these movies. 

2 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

This is a hot take indeed. I would hate to become reality tho. I want both Barbie and Oppenheimer to make mucho dinero. Like i'm expecting Barbie to easily go over 200M

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And they messed up the dating, since this is a weird Thursday - Easter is Mar 31 next year...if they want the Mario slot, they'd go for Mar 29 or Mar 27 - which I think they should, b/c this movie could also be big for kid spring break...

Edit to add: Wait, is ANOTHER Spider-verse coming next year on Mar 29, too?  That seems soon...and then Minecraft really shouldn't go head to head til they know how Spidey does this year...

It's not coming out for another two years. Release dates can change on a dime.

This summer we'll have at least two potential good movies that will make bank. The Flash and Indy screening so much in advance shows confidence. Indy, especially has the sky as the limit. Could break out big