kayumanggi

ABIGAIL | 04.19.2024 | Universal | current gross: $25,340,065

10 hours ago, JustWatching said:

His face doesn’t give much away lol. Did he like it or what? 

I’m sure I read that he filmed his own horror film, guessing it’s failed to find any distribution? 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Horror movies in 2024.

Especially the R rated ones.

🥲

I am not a horror movie person. But just from a BO perspective what the hell has happened? The last few years have been great for horror. Just fickle audiences I guess.

4 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I am not a horror movie person. But just from a BO perspective what the hell has happened? The last few years have been great for horror. Just fickle audiences I guess.

Yeh it’s been a crap year box office wise. Also notably there have been no sequels outside of The First Omen. Which is good for horror fans, but not so much if people aren’t showing up.

It’s such an interesting year too. But I wonder if Smile 2 and a Quiet Place Day One will be the only big grossers. 

Immaculate and Late Night with the Devil did break records for their distributors though. So not all is lost. 

45 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh it’s been a crap year box office wise. Also notably there have been no sequels outside of The First Omen. Which is good for horror fans, but not so much if people aren’t showing up.

It’s such an interesting year too. But I wonder if Smile 2 and a Quiet Place Day One will be the only big grossers. 

Immaculate and Late Night with the Devil did break records for their distributors though. So not all is lost. 

Quiet Place Day One will do well because it crosses over as Monster action. That is why I am interested and will go to that. 

This is probably the kind of horror that needed at least a fairly famous name to anchor it in order to really drum up stronger interest. Think Ethan Hawke in The Black Phone or Octavia Spencer in Ma. Folks like Melissa Barrera and Dan Stevens and Kathryn Newton enjoy recognition from other high-profile projects but don't have much stock on their own.

As it stands it's being left to live or die on how much interest there is in the whole "child ballerina vampire" concept and that might only go so far without that something extra to add legitimacy to it on the surface.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh it’s been a crap year box office wise.

Has it been? Feels like the only real disappointment has been THE FIRST OMEN, and that's a movie based on a dead franchise where the last movie was pretty badly-received (plus Disney waited till very late in the day to start marketing and even later in the day to tell the world 'Surprise, it's actually good!').

But looking at the rest of the calendar, the wide stuff has done about as well as could be expected (NIGHT SWIM and IMAGINARY performed like typical Blumhouse slow season dumps, LISA FRANKENSTEIN played like JENNIFER'S BODY without stars, etc) and IMMACULATE and LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL both over-performed, at least compared to my expectations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Has it been? Feels like the only real disappointment has been THE FIRST OMEN, and that's a movie based on a dead franchise where the last movie was pretty badly-received (plus Disney waited till very late in the day to start marketing and even later in the day to tell the world 'Surprise, it's actually good!').

But looking at the rest of the calendar, the wide stuff has done about as well as could be expected (NIGHT SWIM and IMAGINARY performed like typical Blumhouse slow season dumps, LISA FRANKENSTEIN played like JENNIFER'S BODY without stars, etc) and IMMACULATE and LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL both over-performed, at least compared to my expectations.

Having only one horror film reach $30m by mid April is a pretty crap year compared to what horror can usually do. Even Blumhouse usually do better with their films released in the first quarter of the year. 

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What ever happened to slasher movies? It feels like horror nowadays is mostly supernatural. 

Slashers have had a bit of a comeback in the 2020’s decade:

M3GAN (technically she’s a slasher like Chucky), Scream 5, Scream 6, Thanksgiving, X, Halloween Kills, Ends, Freaky, Terrifier 2. Then streaming films like Totally Killer, Fear Street 1-3 and Sick. 

This year we have In A Violent Nature, The Strangers Chapter 1 and Terrifier 3. 

(Totally Killer & Sick are excellent if you haven’t seen them). 

• Like 2

Ah this was a bit of a let down for me. 

It’s only 1hr49m but something about the pacing feels slow. Not many of the characters worked for me and Melissa phoned it in as a less entertaining version of Sam. But it still provides some great gore gags and the actress playing Abigail is terrific. 

3/5