BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder if the samurai movie could be a success without cramming a white actor in there.

Could something like The Last Samurai work without Tom Cruise?

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of samurai movies made without white actors.

What's the point of Hollywood doing something Japan has already done countless times?

Just now, CaptNathanBrittles said:

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of samurai movies made without white actors.

What's the point of Hollywood doing something Japan has already done countless times?

Would they even be "samurai" if they were all played by white people outside Japan? I know Samurai Cop is the most glorious achievement in film history but this idea doesn't sound great...

• Founder / Operator
14 hours ago, DisposedData said:

Well assuming Sat is 38m and it drops 35% tomorrow then we have an 85m weekend on our hands. Shawn's projection for this weekend is looking mighty accurate!

I genuinely appreciate that, especially because here I am giving into the over-analytical perfectionist part of my brain like always and just being self-critical about misreading some other holdover. 😆🥴

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The highest selling IP in the Nintendo brand just Nintendo is Mario followed by Zelda. If it's Nintendo + partner it's Pokemon.

Mario has sold more than Pokemon. Merchandise is where Pokemon comes out ahead but I don't expect that to remain with the theme parks.

3 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Mario has sold more than Pokemon. Merchandise is where Pokemon comes out ahead but I don't expect that to remain with the theme parks.

Pokemon is technically more valuable to Nintendo because of all the merchandise rights though.

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes, I said I messed up a number. It doesn’t matter much though since the correct calc still puts 600 in very good standing with that comp. 

Yeah, but my point was that JB is among the best legs for an opener over $100M, with the muscle of Disney to hold shows as the weeks go on, while for all of Illumination’s success they get there mostly with big openings and average to golf legs … and that comp doesn’t even get all the way to $600M 

Again, if next weekend’s total starts with 6, IMO we can entertain $600M talk, but it’s mostly a plausible but strongly optimistic outcome from this point 

5 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Because it's kind of condescending to center a Japanese period piece around white people every time. As if their history is irrelevant unless it involves whites.

I guess it comes down to whether audiences would show up for a 100% Japanese cast. Has that ever happened for a movie released in America?

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yeah, but my point was that JB is among the best legs for an opener over $100M, with the muscle of Disney to hold shows as the weeks go on, while for all of Illumination’s success they get there mostly with big openings and average to golf legs … and that comp doesn’t even get all the way to $600M 

Again, if next weekend’s total starts with 6, IMO we can entertain $600M talk, but it’s mostly a plausible but strongly optimistic outcome from this point 

And I feel we can entertain 700 if next weekend starts with a 6, bc we’re getting into TGM holds at that point. Guess we will have to agree to disagree for now. 

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

I still think Pokemon is the more valuable IP overall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

No one will ever know as the full merchandising revenue isn't disclosed for Mario like it is for Pokemon. Both don't have their gaming revenue listed on this article either. Nintendo definitely paints Mario as their flagship IP over Pokemon though.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Because it's kind of condescending to center a Japanese period piece around white people every time. As if their history is irrelevant unless it involves whites.

I guess it comes down to whether audiences would show up for a 100% Japanese cast. Has that ever happened for a movie released in America?

There's nothing condescending about making a western movie for westerners with a western point of view. 

It is however, kind of condescending for Hollywood to to say "Nice 100+ years of cinema you've got there Japan, but we can do it better."

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Could be done. First Spider-Verse was a self contained story though. 

I’m all for Illumination doing Zelda if they can treat it seriously, with a totally different approach. I see them doing it as much more likely than another studio, even if they wouldn’t be my number one choice based on what they’ve done so far. 

If Miyamoto watches over them just like he did this film I can imagine he will,seems a safe bet any film Universal makes for Nintendo will have it be with Nintendo fully watching over the project and making sure everything is as it needs to be.

Zelda has a story and it's quite complex unlike Mario, so they will have to do justice to the story in Zelda.

• Like 2

To me it's obvious the next games on the agenda for Illumination aside from the Super Mario Bros sequel is Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country. The way they showed you DK's world in the movie makes me think that's definitely on the agenda. 

Also all the protagonists of the games were in the arena. DK, Diddy, Dixie, and I believe that was Kiddy. Those are the protagonists of 1 through 3.

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

To me it's obvious the next games on the agenda for Illumination aside from the Super Mario Bros sequel is Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country. The way they showed you DK's world in the movie makes me think that's definitely on the agenda. 

Also all the protagonists of the games were in the arena. DK, Diddy, Dixie, and I believe that was Kiddy. Those are the protagonists of 1 through 3.

Donkey Kong Country is one of my favorite franchises ever. I know the original Super Nintendo trilogy by heart, practically.

Dozens of people like me will be there the night it opens. Dozens, I assure you!

• Like 1