BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

No weekend estimate for Suzume? Are they gonna give a number tomorrow?

It's estimated at $5m. The-Numbers has it, BOM is being their usual selves and not including it for some reason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Animal Crossing as a quality animated tv show would be massive imo. Especially since that franchise is so rich in characters. 

Kirby can be a big animated film, but maybe like 200/600, def not Mario numbers. DK will work great as animation, slightly more gross potential. Lots of room for successful Luigi’s Mansion animated spin offs as well. Already discussed my thoughts on Zelda.

Everything else Nintendo is a much riskier adaptation.  

Kirby isn't that popular though and I think his powers are harder to pull off for a plot driven movie than a game. Donkey Kong can be its own thing just like the games. 

Animal Crossing's big issue is that it's not plot driven, that makes it hard to adapt for a film or TV series. Pikmin is another one where it's a good concept for a game but a film would be limited. 

19 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I'm kinda torn. On the one hand, I'd love to see an eventual Nintendo Cinematic Universe come together. A Super Smash Bros type movie could be huge. On the other hand, I think live action would suit Zelda better. A Lord of the Rings style Zelda epic could be incredible. Live action would also suit Metroid better as well imo.

I don't know why Smash Bros as movie is even being mooted because frankly it's very difficult to do, the games aren't even plot driven. 

People have mentioned Star Fox but again it has the issue that it's not that popular and it's tonally very different to Mario and I'm not sure they would be much interest in adapting it. 

Edited by Jonwo

28 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Why be so forcefully wrong about this. Don’t you prefer being right.

let me google a nice-sounding quote about standing up for what you believe in

edit: found one

"Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right."

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

30 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Why be so forcefully wrong about this. Don’t you prefer being right.

there's also some resentment from my part due to the first Nintendo-curated movie being nowhere near as good as it should have been

One of these movies is not like the others

Personally, I would have gone with Aquaman. That was genuinely great in ScreenX which is the format I watched it in. The trench scene is really great with the creatures all over the walls. And the extended windows are used to good effect for the water effects as well making the water stretch across the theater. 

45 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Idk man, nobody's saying you have to like the Mario movie, but box office doesn't care about if you like a movie or not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One of these movies is not like the others

Personally, I would have gone with Aquaman. That was genuinely great in ScreenX which is the format I watched it in. The trench scene is really great with the creatures all over the walls. And the extended windows are used to good effect for the water effects as well making the water stretch across the theater. 

Kinda wish they had a screenx screen near me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

March ended up not being that impressive. Creed 3 and Scream 6 did decent but John Wick 4 collapsed after opening and Shazam and D&D ended up being mega bombs

I wouldn't call 2x legs, 'collapsing'. It just shows that John Wick's become frontloaded which makes sense when you're up to the 4th entry in a franchise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

March ended up not being that impressive. Creed 3 and Scream 6 did decent but John Wick 4 collapsed after opening and Shazam and D&D ended up being mega bombs

Scream 6 and creed 3 did better then decent and both were missing the main character 

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The real key to pulling it off is making Link work. It’s fine to have a generic “journeyman” trope as a film protagonist, but you can’t have a film protagonist that’s a literal blank slate like Link in the games. So if they can crack making Link a movie character without also making it feel weird to fans, then they have a huge hit on their hands. 

Might be interesting if they can somehow pull off a mute Link. I've really enjoyed having other characters' responses to him explain his thoughts. It could be fun & fresh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Idk man, nobody's saying you have to like the Mario movie, but box office doesn't care about if you like a movie or not.

theres a reason I picked that specific quote and spoke about "belief"

I believe that movies I dont like should have grosses that reflect that, and from that, the ideologically consistent course of action is to downplay all of those movie's box office achievements and be pessimistic about the remainder of their run; reality can wait till after the pvod release

however its really difficult to maintain that attitude after a 90 million 2nd weekend

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Might be interesting if they can somehow pull off a mute Link. I've really enjoyed having other characters' responses to him explain his thoughts. It could be fun & fresh.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. In that case, I think animation would be better. 

• Like 1

Just now, cooldude97 said:

For me it's less of an "if" but a when Nintendo announces a Zelda, donkey kong, Luigi's mansion, Metroid movie 

The only thing that’s locked right now is a sequel, I think. Maybe they’ll do one spin-off or Zelda on top of it and see if they want to branch things out from there or not.