Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol how, streaming is the only way people are gonna be able to watch anything once the current crop of completed movies burns out. Even if the strike ends after the fall there's almost nothing between then and next summer.

But how many old shows do you need?  I don't need 5 streams of them...most folks will likely decrease streaming b/c nothing is worth $10/month with only old product.  I mean, there's some free streams for that...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But how many old shows do you need?  I don't need 5 streams of them...most folks will likely decrease streaming b/c nothing is worth $10/month with only old product.  I mean, there's some free streams for that...

The best performing shows on every streaming platform are shows that aren't originals to those platforms. It's stuff like Friends, The Office, and The Simpsons

• Thanks 1

Just now, SpiderByte said:

The best performing shows on every streaming platform are shows that aren't originals to those platforms. It's stuff like Friends, The Office, and The Simpsons

B/c those are filler around the new shows and movies...if there are no new shows or movies, in the current tight financial environment, people will see an easy cut...

I mean, Cap already has, and I am...how many folks who run households do you think will re-up at $10/month if they are promised a year of Friends and Matlock vs The Boys and Stranger Things?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I agree with this.  There will be some people canceling services but I don't think there will be a noticeable dip in subscribers.  I do think getting new subscribers will be harder but for the people who are signed up for Peacock or Paramount, I can't imagine they were signed up because new content was coming out.

Also, while not originals, movies will help add in new content to the services.  Mario, ATSV, GOTG3, TLM, Flash, etc.  It's not like new stuff won't come to these services.  

I use all my streaming services, the only one I'd be willing to part with is Max.

Disney + and Paramount Plus are godsends for the kids. They can watch Spongebob or Disney movies to their hearts content and don't bother me and keep quiet.

Peacock I use for WWE

Crunchyroll I use for anime

Hulu I keep around for my parents to use with my password

Netflix is just Netflix, I have it because of all the new shows. My family is a sucker for their korean dramas and STUPID romantic comedies.

Amazon Prime I use because of Prime shipping. 

21 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

B/c those are filler around the new shows and movies...if there are no new shows or movies, in the current tight financial environment, people will see an easy cut...

I mean, Cap already has, and I am...how many folks who run households do you think will re-up at $10/month if they are promised a year of Friends and Matlock vs The Boys and Stranger Things?

I mean, I only keep my Spectrum Streaming to watch TCM and Law & Order reruns 😂

• Community Manager

I for one will keep all my streaming services cause I mostly use them to watch already finished shows from the real golden era of TV.  Not the current "okay it's really a movie but it's actually 8 episodes long" era.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Those are the kinds of shows that made streamers big enough to start making originals. There's a reason the Friends license was 100 million dollars for one year 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

However, it isn't a "vs" thing.

People mantain their streaming services to continue watching the series these have.

The new originals could attract people, but it isn't what mantain more people in the streaming.

I truly hope that AI isn't the major sticking point that writers are choosing not to budge on. Because I agree with the writers on every single one of their demands regarding compensation, but I personally think the views about AI are shortsighted. It's a tool, and the WGA is too deadset on trying to stop a technology that's already here and being used.

Actors, on the other hand, should worry more about AI because of Deepfakes and that tech.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-guild-demands-no-ai-stories-g-o-media-sites-1235435700/

This isn't in the WGA's purview. They need to focus on their own members. I also don't like this new development, but also, I haven't read any articles written by AI because I don't read listicles, and never did before when humans were writing them.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I truly hope that AI isn't the major sticking point that writers are choosing not to budge on. Because I agree with the writers on every single one of their demands regarding compensation, but I personally think the views about AI are shortsighted. It's a tool, and the WGA is too deadset on trying to stop a technology that's already here and being used.

Actors, on the other hand, should worry more about AI because of Deepfakes and that tech.

AI HAS to be the sticking point. Is it a tool? Yes. and a writer can choose to employ that tool (although why, I don't know? I guess if a writer isn't confident in their own ability). But what studios will want to do is have the AI write the script, bring in a writer to edit it, and then pay the writer way less because they are editing, not writing. That's the end of any real viable writing career and nobody becomes a writer to edit an AI script.

Also it's not possible to say the writers are choosing not to budge when the AMPTP has refused to engage with the WGA period. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The AI is an important issue. Because writers get a much lower rate for rewrites and don't get residuals from rewrites as well 

So if AI writes an initial draft and then it's handed to a writer, that's money they are never seeing.

• Like 7

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-guild-demands-no-ai-stories-g-o-media-sites-1235435700/

This isn't in the WGA's purview. They need to focus on their own members. I also don't like this new development, but also, I haven't read any articles written by AI because I don't read listicles, and never did before when humans were writing them.

"They need to focus on their own members" "this isn't in the WGA purview" okay make up your mind cause a significant portion of writers on those websites ARE WGA members.

• Like 3