Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

It's the working actors they truly could not care any less about. 

Bullshit. You’ve created a straw man and using it to project onto all sorts of people. 

edit: if such a thing were true, it would be trivially easy for the AMPTP to break the strike by getting all these rich actors to cross the line and work on their projects regardless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

No one is saying get rid of the tentpoles. Just don't make nothing but Tentpole or tentpole wannabes.

You really don't get that some of us don't want every trip to the theater to be a trip to the circus.

I get it. But it’s not about what I want, it’s about what is keeping movie theaters open. And it isn’t films that aren’t "a trip to the circus".

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

All those CEO corporate striver types don't get there on talent or creativity, they get there on ruthlessness and a sociopathic ability to see human beings and turn them into numbers and widgets. The C-Suite of MBAs at every business in America is almost universally talentless, psychotic, greedy freaks. 

I cannot imagine why any person would defend a CEO, but then I remember what country I live in.

I cannot imagine why any person would defend an actor making $25 million for a single film, but then I remember what forum I'm in.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, dudalb said:

You just lost me.

You seem not to like anbody who makes some money for themselves.

Most people on here have lost me by calling CEOs talentless hacks and this isn't me defending them, it's just incorrect that's all.

I dont think Leo, Cruise, JLAW or RDJ are worth 25 million for any non-franchise film

JLaw making 25 million for Katniss makes sense but not a random comedy.

Same for RDJ...25 million or 100 million makes sense as Iron Man but not a random comedy. 

Edited by Torontofan

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

hahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahahahaha

Get the fuck outta here, bootlicker.

I'm a bootlicker because I think Iger and J Law are both equally overpaid. Got it. 

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm a bootlicker because I think Iger and J Law are both equally overpaid. Got it. 

You're a bootlicker for showing you ass and defending every one of the right wing AMPTP corporate positions, yes. But that's your right. Just like it's my right to call it what it is. 

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Depends on the project. If she came back as Katniss and there was still huge interest in the series it would be more than worth it - and probably more at the back end.  For an R rated comedy where her salary is more than half the $45m budget - and those moves don't make what they did 10-15 years ago - not so much. 

Interesting, to those complaining about $20m paydays - Jim Carrey was the first to get that up front for the Cable Guy - 27 years ago.   It's the back ends that then got out of control (see MIB2) which studios then cut by offering a bit more on the front end.

I also think that the recent J Law film was planned and written with J Law in mind.

Point is the film cost next to nothing in Hollywood terms..20 to 25  Million (amount spent after J Law's salary) to make. It was a reasonable gamble. Even if it flopped, the studio did not lose very much.

As it stands, the film did 70 Million dollars, which meant it will take a minor loss on the theatrical run, and will probably break even through  streaming and other media.

Not sure it is fair to J Law to see her as Katniss only....she has won a best actress Oscar, and built herself a reputation as a very good serious actress. She is also worth 150 Million, and never has to work antoher day in her life. I don't think anybody has played the 'One for me, One for them" game better the she has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah maybe Iger or a CEO isn't totally talentless. I'm exaggerating for effect. But the gulf in talent between Iger and J-Law is the equivalent of the gulf in talent between Stan Kroneke and Nikola Jokic.

No star is worth 25 million for a random comedy in 2023 though lol

No one is that much of a draw outside of their franchise career defining roles. 

Edited by Torontofan

Just now, Torontofan said:

No star is worth 25 million for a random comedy in 2023 though lol

Point is the film was created as a J Law vehicle and it cost almost next to nothing to make outside her salary.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Point is the film was created as a J Law vehicle and it cost almost next to nothing to make outside her salary.

Considering how many Hollywood films are losing money due to large budgets think star wages are likely gonna get cut.

If films are not cruising to 100 million anymore, then budgets have to be cut. 

Edited by Torontofan

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

All those CEO corporate striver types don't get there on talent or creativity, they get there on ruthlessness and a sociopathic ability to see human beings and turn them into numbers and widgets. The C-Suite of MBAs at every business in America is almost universally talentless, psychotic, greedy freaks. 

I cannot imagine why any person would defend a CEO, but then I remember what country I live in.

The amount of people I’ve seen defend David Zaslav and insisting we give him a chance is especially baffling. Defending Bob Iger is stupid too, but Zaslav doesn’t even have anything to show for himself yet. Sure, the Barbie movie is pretty much guaranteed to be a hit, but it’s not even like he green-lit that. It was already filming when the merger took place.

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Did Jennifer Lawrence or any other overpaid star say they’re willing to wait out people until they lose their homes?

Exactly. Iger and his ilk are the ones who are hurting work actors by refusing to meet reasonable terms. J-Law is standing in fucking solidarity with them!! This is the exact same union busting language virtually every union busting narrative has ever taken in the history of unions!!!! It's literally textbook!! People are either being intentionally obtuse or genuinely ignorant if they don't know that history.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 5