Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

5 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

If they really wanted to go all out after the AMPTP they should have actors asking people to boycott movie going and drop their streaming subscriptions.

They'll never do that because no one has anything to gain from sabotaging the movies themselves. Nor does the average person actually pay attention to the specifics of what goes on in the entertainment industry.

Instead, AMPTP seems determined to find out the hard way that they actually do need the actors and the writers to keep the money coming in for their bank accounts. They brought this industry shutdown (more or less) on themselves.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

If they really wanted to go all out after the AMPTP they should have actors asking people to boycott movie going and drop their streaming subscriptions.

Yeah, no one would actually do that.

Edited by poweranimals

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They'll never do that because no one has anything to gain from sabotaging the movies themselves. Nor does the average person actually pay attention to the specifics of what goes on in the entertainment industry.

Exactly, SAG and WGA want to hurt the studios at the top and not people at the bottom. 

I'm sure if you spoke to Fran Drescher and asked whether people should boycott movies and TV, she would say no.

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I get this Tweet is funny for the "Marvel sucks" crowd, but how does it help the writers and actors?

We have no idea how many people are watching the show, Wampler. That. Is. One. Of. The. Main. Issues!

We need more transparency.

I’d argue that regardless how flashy and worrisome A.I. is, it is the main issue. For both WGA and SAG-AFTRA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’d argue that regardless how flashy and worrisome A.I. is, it is the main issue. For both WGA and SAG-AFTRA

Exactly, so why are these folks dunking on budgets and "no one is watching" when we're getting budget information secondhand, just as we're getting viewership information secondhand, if we even get it at all.

Yeah sorry, but the GA are neither educated or interested enough in this whole situation to ask them to boycott movies. That would be a disaster for the strike’s cause and perception. Right wing especially would hop on a crazy train of “another way they’re trying to take your freedoms and things you enjoy from you” blah blah blah 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Exactly, so why are these folks dunking on budgets and "no one is watching" when we're getting budget information secondhand, just as we're getting viewership information secondhand, if we even get it at all.

Because most of us are tools and talking heads for studios unwillingly. It’s not that different than people complaining about MI7 and Indiana Jones budgets one day and wanting less Volume and green screen in the other. Globetrotting films that are filmed during a pandemic on several different locations have ballooned budgets that clearly aren’t what they were originally green lighted. Who knew? 

Trades aren’t the ones that are releasing the budget costs, but we are daily trained to see things from the perspective of CEOs and profit, not really from the actors, directors and writers working on these projects, we are trained to play eFootball Manager / Fantasy League but instead of running football teams, we act like Hollywood moguls that would know better. Nonetheless but not less important, very few people read the article beyond the salacious headline and read the fine print where it says that since it was filmed in London, it will get 20% out of this in tax incentives but… yeah. Meanwhile, Disney+ is estimated to have 209m subscribers that pay $11 each for them, monthly. Poor dumb Disney, am I right? What these workers are striking for, I bet that no one watches these shows, at least I read in the internet infographic about Samba numbers. What is Samba, do you ask? I don’t know but if it’s on the internet it’s likely true.

the-news-never.gif

It’s kinda tragic how dumbed down our generation is. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Not streaming companies cutting off their residuals tenfold?

How would they know how much the films and shows they have worked on are worth if we don’t really know how many people has viewed them to gauge their residuals? We are doing the jobs of the studios when we believe disinformation bullshit like Samba. We are doing the studios business when we keep complaining about films and series budgets without the understanding of why they cost what they do. It’s fairly easier to know when a film that gets a theatrical release bombed or not; it’s quite harder when they are films and series that go direct to streaming, since the streaming platforms don’t disclose their viewership with their workers.

Tough luck Sean, I guess no one watches Gilmore Girls too, it isn’t featured on Samba. 

Also, have you even considered how much Ted Sarandos paid for Gilmore Girls, Sean? Why do you want to come after the guy that gave us Rory back? Why are you so greedy, Sean? Isn’t Disney and WB enough for you?

14 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

For argument’s sake, let’s say it was released and got a Catwoman-esque reception and run. With its budget, it probably loses 20m or so theatrically and ends up grinding into profitability after awhile with ancillary revenue. Not ideal, of course, but hardly some giant disaster. Even stuff that’s widely regarded as campy trash often finds an audience on video. And let’s face it, WB has had no problem giving huge releases to lousy DC movies before. 

I can see canning the threatical release of Batgirl if it turned out poorly..it was intially intended as a HB)/MAX release, anyway. with the threater release being a afterthought....but I  Don't get locking it  away and not showing it on cable.

One thing we don;t know  is how far along in post it was when it was cancelled. I guess if was really bad you might justify a canning by not wanting to spend a lot on post release on a sure fire loser; but given it modest budget I can't think post would have been all that expensive.

I find his cancelling of some shows to be more understandable. I loved Doom Patrol, but if it was not bringing in the ratings it had to go, given the Bad situation at WB.

Zaslev was brought in to clean up the Debt Mess Warners got into with past adminstrations. Instead, Zaslev has created a bigger mess.

Edited by dudalb

9 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Social media is here for like 20 years and has almost broken democracy in US and Brazil. With all due respect to the United States congress, but I’m not that optimistic about they doing shit. 

And then you have the problem of how do you regulate social media without throwing Free Speech out the window?

2 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Literally seeing the same people who endlessly complain about stuff being too woke now, defending the executives that have greenlit all the stuff that they claim to despise.

You couldn't make it up.

The great con the GOP pulled off was convinceing so many blue collar workers it was on their side.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah sorry, but the GA are neither educated or interested enough in this whole situation to ask them to boycott movies. That would be a disaster for the strike’s cause and perception. Right wing especially would hop on a crazy train of “another way they’re trying to take your freedoms and things you enjoy from you” blah blah blah 

BTW neither the Writers Guild or SAG have advocated boycotting movies.