Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

19 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i bet all the ceos are creating a new blacklist for all the strikers that bad mouthed them , some folks will never work again

I really don't think that's the case. Short term pettiness maybe, but the strike is too popular and too extensive for something like that to be viable long term.

The last time there was a joint strike, the head of the SAG strike eventually became President of the United States 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SLAM! said:

Does anyone have opinions about interim agreements? Do they defeat the purpose of the strikes? Do they impede the unions’ ability to get fair deals? If so (or if not), how?

If SAG is okay with it then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Usually, when government wants to the stop a strike, they will suppress the worker.

But since the Democrats are a beneficiary of both sides (Producer/Executives vs Actors/Writers) , What will happen if they step in to force a deal? 

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

Usually, when government wants to the stop a strike, they will suppress the worker.

But since the Democrats are a beneficiary of both sides (Producer/Executives vs Actors/Writers) , What will happen if they step in to force a deal? 

No way the government is letting this go into 2024. I'm expecting the governor to put someone into the negotiations, who will only be there to side eye the AMPTP into making a deal.

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

No way the government is letting this go into 2024. I'm expecting the governor to put someone into the negotiations, who will only be there to side eye the AMPTP into making a deal.

Governor, most likely, has fund-raised with both sides. 

46 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Does anyone have opinions about interim agreements? Do they defeat the purpose of the strikes? Do they impede the unions’ ability to get fair deals? If so (or if not), how?

If anything they make the AMPTP look worse. If these small studios and productions can afford to abide by SAG guidelines then why can't the multi billion dollar conglomerates? 

• Like 4

Interesting wrinkle in the Taylor Swift concert movie news:

All Swifties aside, this represents exhibitors sending a clear message to studios in the middle of the SAG and WGA strikes: Theaters can find programming without their help.

Maybe that's part of why the studios are freaking out so much about this development. If movie theaters have content then it's harder to leverage them against the talent.

Also, I can't see how Taylor promoting a music documentary would be a SAG-AFTRA strike violation. I mean, stuff like soap operas and the news have stayed in production even though they employ SAG-AFTRA members because they fall under different agreements.

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Train said:

Regarding the concert, pretty smart move from AMC ngl. I'm surprised they are allowed to both distribute and exhibit a movie, I was under the impression that wasn't legal in America but maybe there's some loophole.

The Paramount Decree was repealed a couple years or so ago. 

• Like 3