Eric Burnett

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Netflix was doing it too but they were largely nixing things people didn't care about. Batgirl was just a really bad look given it was a highly anticipated film well into production, and you couldn't deny the misogynistic subtext to it especially compared to the Flash having a convicted criminal as the lead. In retrospect it just looks like an even worse business decision.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I think it’s mostly because Zazlav did it first. None of these streaming services were really removing their own movies and shows or canceling stuff en masse until Zazlov/WBD got the ball rolling back in 2022.

The thing is, if he hadn't done that, someone else would have done it sooner or later. 

there wasnt enough time between the wag and sag strikes for any movie to be "ruined" right?

shame, I wanted a "transformers 2" 2 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

They can always move Planet of the Apes up (or WB can move Furiosa up since they're both currently set for Memorial Day weekend and are well into post), though I'm guessing Hollywood wants to kick off the summer movie season with more of a bang and those movies aren't big enough. Godzilla x Kong is set for mid-April at the moment so that can always shift three weeks.

I think moving Furioisa off Memorial Day and putting Dune 2 in its place would be a good idea. 

2 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I still think DP3 will swap dates with Captain America but I could also see it staying in May depending on if it’ll need similar post production time to the first two films (both of which began filming less than a year out from release if I recall correctly).

Would it even be possible to finish on time at this point? They've already lost a lot of time.

Edited by poweranimals

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Zaslav wouldn't lose his job over one movie anyway, he's in charge of WBD, not just Warner Bros so if they have growth in other areas then he's not going anytime soon.

Turning Discovery into a giant behemoth that was able to buy WB is also something that his board and shareholders are not gonna forget any time soon. 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Netflix was doing it too but they were largely nixing things people didn't care about. Batgirl was just a really bad look given it was a highly anticipated film well into production, and you couldn't deny the misogynistic subtext to it especially compared to the Flash having a convicted criminal as the lead. In retrospect it just looks like an even worse business decision.

In fact, Netflix doesn't tend to remove its own content. The series removed from Netflix tend to belong to other companies.

Netflix is accused of cancelling too much and too fast, but its shows are still in the streaming service.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Would it even be possible to finish on time at this point? They've already lost a lot of time.

Like I said I expect it to move but there is history with this series having a quick turnaround from filming to release. Hell the May date was a move up from November, a whole half a year. 

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

So it's sounding like the plan is to bring it up for a vote tomorrow, and then the strike ends.

Though idk if they won't start talking to SAG until it's ratified

Not quite.

The strike ends only when the full membership of the WGA votes on lifting the strike.

Reposting the order of events.

Finalized contract written.

WGA Negotiating Committee releases the deal to membership and then votes on whether or not to recommend accepting the agreement.

Both the WGA-E and WGA-W boards vote on accepting the Negotiating Committee's recommendation.

Emergency vote by the membership of the WGA to lift the strike authorization during the ratification process.

The first is being done as I type.  The NegCom hopes to vote on Tuesday, but only if the contract is actually done by then.  They'd presumably want at least a couple of hours to pour over it to make sure no loopholes snuck in and/or it's actually what they want.

That's the only vote we have even a tentative time for.  Presumably both the WGA-E and WGA-W boards will vote on the NegCom recommendation in somewhat short order but that might either be a matter of hours or a day later depending on when they get the recommendation and how much time, if any, they want to look over the deal themselves. 

personally wouldn't expect a full membership vote to be done until at least 48 hours after the board votes, going by prior '07/'08 strike precedent.  Add all of this up and we're probably looking closer to Thursday or Friday for the strike to be "over" as in the strike authorization being lifted.

====

The main thing to wrap one's head about this entire process is that union votes are much closer to direct/participatory democracy than they are representative democracy.  Yes, they have folks representing them in talks.  But ain't nothing (major) done in a union's name until membership actually says so.

As it should be, when it comes to unions. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I see people are still being unnecessarily defensive of Zaslav. Some things never change. 

Just tag me. Nobody is being defensive of him. It's just weird that if you're going to go after a CEO, go after all of them. They're all the same. By singling out one, you're letting the others off the hook.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Just tag me. Nobody is being defensive of him. It's just weird that if you're going to go after a CEO, go after all of them. They're all the same. By singling out one, you're letting the others off the hook.

No one is under any obligation to hate every CEO equally, some do things that more viscerally piss people off than others. In Zaslav's case I think I've made it clear why he's been a particular source of fury for me.

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

No one is under any obligation to hate every CEO equally, some do things that more viscerally piss people off than others. In Zaslav's case I think I've made it clear why he's been a particular source of fury for me.

Yes, I know how much you love Iger's humility like when he was sitting at the private island giving an interview about how ridiculous the Unions were being.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

Yes, I know how much you love Iger's humility like when he was sitting at the private island giving an interview about how ridiculous the Unions were being.

Mentioning a minor positive quality in the context of his ability to perform his job is not the same thing as thinking he's a swell guy and your sanctimonious posturing is not appreciated.

• Like 1