Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

25 minutes ago, 21C said:

The biggest hang-up was always the residual thing. Everything else seemed fairly easy to resolve tbh

He was right the last time too, for what it's worth.

Please, come on be serious, he was definitely NOT right last time. He reported a deal was done when it was definitely not done, and days before it was actually done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Derpity said:

Please, come on be serious, he was definitely NOT right last time. He reported a deal was done when it was definitely not done, and days before it was actually done.

If it only took them 2 days more to actually sign the contract, then I'm sorry but I do believe that  they already had a deal in principle by then even if it was not legally written and  signed lol

Edited by 21C

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

So, did Disney not know a deal was imminent (doubtful), or do they have a slew of movies with problems and realized that their window to announce delays and blame them 100 percent on "the strike" was running out?

I mean even if a deal is reached in the next few days, a lot of 2024/2025 movies will probably not make their date. So they are probably spreading out the stuff they have to avoid a year without a Pixar movie or a Live action remake (theatrical)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

So, did Disney not know a deal was imminent (doubtful), or do they have a slew of movies with problems and realized that their window to announce delays and blame them 100 percent on "the strike" was running out?

Two things can both be true: The movie has problems (every movie does), and they don't think they have enough time to fix them now before their intended release dates, because of how long the strikes have gone. Even once a deal is done, I imagine we'll have a few more movies announce delays.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Derpity said:

In fact, if folks recall there was a mini-blowup that looked like it would derail talks before things were steered back on track.

I'm willing to stipulate he heard through the (AMPTP-)grapevine that lots of progress was being made.  That seems fairly reasonable.

But "done deal"?  He might have heard that, but his sources were wrong.  There was at least one major negotiating point that needed to be cleared between then and and when an agreement in principle was actually reached.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Once again we should wait until SAG puts out a statement that this a done deal.

It seems like they are close to a deal but anything can happen between now and a deal officially being signed that could be a set back.

• Like 1

Yeah for all the reports, is mostly done 

They just need to get the details done now 

With the WGA it ended up being fully finished in the weekend, let’s see now, but if not today all the signs is that we’re probably getting it by Monday 

Fingers crossed is a fair deal

This is not remotely "nearly done." There's a distinct lack of credibility from the sources being cited. Please read the Deadline article below. Makes it clear that it isn't all over at all and that the talks are done for today. Deadline isn't reliable in and of itself but certainly more reliable than what is being tweeted. Could it end this weekend? Sure. But what is described below is the furthest thing from "imminent."

https://deadline.com/2023/10/actors-strike-weekend-talks-deal-hope-1235585553/

EDIT: Variety goes even further, mentions frustration and says that they will likely just be virtual sessions. Stop spreading false info.

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/sag-aftra-negotiation-update-1235771151/

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is not remotely "nearly done." There's a distinct lack of credibility from the sources being cited. Please read the Deadline article below. Makes it clear that it isn't all over at all and that the talks are done for today. Deadline isn't reliable in and of itself but certainly more reliable than what is being tweeted. Could it end this weekend? Sure. But what is described below is the furthest thing from "imminent."

https://deadline.com/2023/10/actors-strike-weekend-talks-deal-hope-1235585553/

Okay fine dude, if you are right we'll see in about 3 days then!

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

If there is a "major blowup" or similarly reported "problem" between now and agreement in principle, will Cmasterclay have been right, even it is then wrapped up in three or four days?

6 minutes ago, 21C said:

Even if the strike ends by Monday, which I admitted in my post is possible, I'm still right. There is still stuff left to work out and a deal is not in place. Doesn't mean one won't get done, as I clearly have said. In fact, it almost seems likely. But Sneider and your boy/possible main account Empire do not have information that the deal is done. No they do not, sorry. That is what I am saying and that is a fact. I did not say a deal won't get done. I said that as of today, Friday October 27th, it is not "done."

Edited by Cmasterclay