Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Paramount release date changes as the Friday news dump:

The Tiger's Apprentice: skipping theaters for Paramount+

Mean Girls: upgraded from streaming to theatrical, bowing 1/12/24

Bob Marley: bumped a month to 2/14/24

Smile 2: 10/18/24

The Tiger's Apprentice must be pretty bad not to get a theatrical release.

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Paramount release date changes as the Friday news dump:

The Tiger's Apprentice: skipping theaters for Paramount+

Mean Girls: upgraded from streaming to theatrical, bowing 1/12/24

Bob Marley: bumped a month to 2/14/24

Smile 2: 10/18/24

Kinda short notice for Mean Girls

13 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Even if the strikes conclude soon we're in for delays of movies next year. Kung Fu Panda 4 and Deadpool 3 strike me as likely candidates.

KFP4 is likely done and dusted in terms of the animation or at least close, voice work for these types of roles takes very little time. 

In regards to the WGA picketing, why they continue to picket The View is beyond me, they're not going to succeed shutting it down. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The Tiger's Apprentice must be pretty bad not to get a theatrical release.

Not really. Robbins states that after Elemental and Lightyear’s performance, only IP gets theatrical from their animation arms.

37 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Even if the strikes conclude soon we're in for delays of movies next year. Kung Fu Panda 4 and Deadpool 3 strike me as likely candidates.

Feel DM4 is more likely to be pushed back over KFP4.

I don’t understand how the issue over residuals is in anyway complicated. Residuals should just be directly proportional to how successful a show is on whatever service it’s on. You’re really telling me all these massive corporation can’t afford that without raising their prices by 500%? 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

No matter what the final deal is, the Studios will pass any additional costs on to the ticket buying/streaming fee paying public. Of that you can be damn sure.

This is commonly said any time labor makes any gains and...

You know, I don't think it's true. I'm tempted to say "it isn't true at all", but I'll preface instead by saying: Maaaaybe at the edges at most.

Ultimately prices are dictated by what people are willing to pay.  Tempted again to say something like "no more, no less", but it is slightly more complicated than that, but only just.

When it comes right down to it a small increase in labor costs isn't passed onto the consumer if the consumer is already paying at the price point they feel like buying at.  

What I do agree with is that less things might be made or structured in such a way that they're cheaper overall.  But it seems to me that this fight isn't so much over making more pies, but how the pies are split (and how the pies are made, as well).

So while I get what you're saying I tend to think you're not right at all.  Price increases come because (enough) people are willing to pay them.  One look at the ticket prices for high profile collegiate sports, which even with tons of money going to various boondoggles, is nowhere near the amount of money being spent on pro sports.

If prices were going to go up, they would have gone up anyway.  As such I'd rather the folks making the product get those benefits than them disappearing somewhere into higher ends of the corporate structure.

• Like 4