Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Even if you don't believe the AMPTP's self-reported stance of Yom Kippur being a deadline for (this round of) negotiations and that if they don't get a deal by then they'll walk away from the table, negotiations would still very likely be suspended during Yom Kippur due to so many of the folks involved observing Yom Kippur.

I did not realize the Jewish studio executives were religious. Always assumed they were the secular/agnostic types. 

Edited by The GOAT

I tend to think the end of Q3 (Sep 30) is a bigger deal when all said and done.  I've seen commentary, or bluster/propaganda if one prefers, that companies would look to "punt" the upcoming quarter if it looked liked the strikes would drag into it.

Obviously still gonna hit the first week of October as even if an agreement (in principle) is agreed to with the WGA, no way SAG-AFTRA would be that quick.  So that theory is already on the ropes a tad.

But I do think the Yom Kippur soft deadline is/was more of a symbolic one in that it coincides well with the end of Q3 and if these strikes both stretch long into Q4, then we enter a new phase of all of this where it might be a while before negotiations start back up.

OBLIGATORY:  No one knows anything, so the above (esp no negotiations for a while if it stretches into Oct) is quite likely to be wrong.

Edited by Porthos

From the trades so taking it with a grain of salt, but if they're really discussing what work can be done until ratification then the major points would be pretty much resolved. It would be unconventional for a strike to end pre-ratification, though.