The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Is it still possible to do a Marvels red carpet premiere with actors on Wednesday night at the El Capitan Theater with all actors attending and giving interviews?

Logistically?  No.  Even if it could, wouldn't help at this stage.  Die is more or less cast.  Now we just have to break it to see what it contains.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Logistically?  No.  Even if it could, wouldn't help at this stage.  Die is more or less cast.  Now we just have to break it to see what it contains.

It was a pipedream thinking Disney had a secret plan ready to execute at the last hour for Marvels. Such a shame the movie will have a huge asterisk next to it boxoffice wise because of the strikes. 

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

For those of us without Twitter, could someone please translate this/explain just what Frances Fisher left a like on?

And other picket tweets/angry at AMPTP. Certainly a hostile tone, which is what I was noting yesterday in my post, but nothing new information wise. Really comes down to whether a rejection (seems very likely unless this is all just rhetoric on Twitter) leads to an end of talks or they can get over impasse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

And other picket tweets/angry at AMPTP. Certainly a hostile tone, which is what I was noting yesterday in my post, but nothing new information wise. Really comes down to whether a rejection (seems very likely unless this is all just rhetoric on Twitter) leads to an end of talks or they can get over impasse.

Ehhhhh, leaving a like on a picket march seems really anodyne to me. 

I've seen much more determinative tea leaves in my day is perhaps a better way to put it.

Just now, Porthos said:

I've seen much more determinative tea leaves in my day is perhaps a better way to put it.

Oh I don't think it means too much. I am having difficulty reading the tea leaves - it seems that if the deal was acceptable, we would have heard today. If the deal was flat out NOT acceptable, I also think we would have heard today. So my tea leave reading is that it's probably really close but with a couple of really stick issues, and it remains to be seen if that blows things up.

I don't think the strike end date matters much for anything prior to Napoleon and Wish's promotional campaigns at this point, so today vs Wednesday isn't particularly tangible unless there is limited shooting that can be done which I admit I'm far from an expert on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Can JLaw say something like "the new THG looks great" or "I'm going to see the new THG" or would that be breaking SAG rules? Is it ONLY Songbirds cast that can promote their movie or is it EVERYONE can promote the movie?

"Don't worry, Rachel. You'll do great! I have No Hard Feelings toward you."

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

For those of us without Twitter, could someone please translate this/explain just what Frances Fisher left a like on?

Better question: after her controversial shenanigans behind the Andrea Riseborough Oscar nomination last year, who (and what movies) is Frances Fisher stanning for this awards season? Asking for a friend.

Movies film GIF - Find on GIFER

44 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I mean, none of those really say much to me except that Solidarity is still strong.  Maaaaybe the poop one, but honestly nothing there really moves my meter.  Would have seen similar likes on the eve of the end of the WGA talks and the "best and final offer" tweets/jokes making the rounds that night.

Not saying it's nothing, just not reading anything into it, really. 

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yeah my thoughts exactly, obsessing over liked tweets just seems silly to me. 

Edited by Cappoedameron

So this is from Matthew Beloni's newsletter tonight. He's not perfect but has been as accurate as anyone. Seems like it's going to be tough, but not totally impossible. You know I land on side of cynic, but some more optimistic may feel hope from this, idk. I do tend to mostly believe it to be the situation.

No description available.

No description available.

• Like 3

As I've said time and time again, nothing short of a kick in the balls will cause Hollywood to make peace with the actors' guild. And the forthcoming dry holiday season could be the needed kick. Otherwise I just don't see a deal happening this year. Again, Disney and Lionsgate's recent decisions wouldn't have been needed had talks been going well.

Bit late to the party but I do think SAG is right in holding the line over the AI issue. You can always fight again on wages or compensation later on, but once you turn on the AI wave, there’s no going back. WGA held strong on it and it led to a great deal, SAG has to do the same. 

For the record, I just wish this strike would end, as it’s hurting many movies I care about. But that’s on the studios, NOT on the Union 

• Like 1

Whether a deal gets done this week or not I hope that breakdown I posted above can cool the jets on the "Fran just wants attention!" and "Duncan Crabtree-Ireland slept in!" takes. Those are without a doubt real, substanative issues rooted in contract law. This is how negotiations go. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Whether a deal gets done this week or not I hope that breakdown I posted above can cool the jets on the "Fran just wants attention!" and "Duncan Crabtree-Ireland slept in!" takes. Those are without a doubt real, substanative issues rooted in contract law. This is how negotiations go. 

You know, if I were a lesser man, I would point out that "bringing in the lawyers" was in fact, not a sign that this was a "done deal" or even "all but done deal".

But since I am a bigger man than that, I won't point out that these all of the folks claiming this was A(n All But) Done Deal last week pulled a Fox Calls Arizona Early* on us.

* At least I hope it's a "Arizona Called Early" and not  a "Florida Called Wrongly" situation!!!

*checks that he actually did in fact post that instead of just thinking it*

hugh-laurie-oops.gif

• Like 2