Just now, YM! said:

Fuck Ted Sarandos

Fuck Bog Iger

Fuck David Zaslav

Fuck Donna Langsley

Fuck Tom Rothman

Fuck Brian Robbins

Fuck the CEOs of Apple too

The Flash already used dead corpse CGI versions of Reeve Superman and West Batman. No way WB paid any estate for them.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone who thinks theaters will die in a year is obviously very dramatic. That said, I do wonder what the extent of consumer entertainment habits changing might be if there’s not much tv or film next year. I think it could be a real thing that happens. And then maybe it’s the catalyst for the death of theaters several years the line. 

TBH people won't stop watching films or TV shows and as I keep pointing out, the rest of the world is still making films and TV. 

It's like suggesting concert films and recording of theatre will kill live entertainment. 

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I'm sorry I missed the part of the SAG statement where they said the AMPTP is walking away and refusing to talk anymore nor has the AMPTP come out and said we are done you know where to find us. Yet. Maybe the usual Eyores and pessimists should wait until any of that happens to do all the sky is falling stuff. Just saying.

Yes, it sounds like they aren't giving up on talks again yet. Only then should the panic button be pressed. But it's always disappointing when another day goes by and the resolution still isn't official.

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

Fuck Ted Sarandos

Fuck Bog Iger

Fuck David Zaslav

Fuck Donna Langsley

Fuck Tom Rothman

Fuck Brian Robbins

Fuck the CEOs of Apple

They really thought this would fly with SAG.  Hey can some of the Pro AMPTP people who lurk around here defend this shit? 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

The strike lasting until January would mostly affect mid-sized adult movies (aka my favorites) and TV moreso than blockbusters (plenty of them already shot) or indie/foreign productions.

Foreign films and I include British and Australian films in that aren't affected by SAG being on strike.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yes, it sounds like they aren't giving up on talks again yet. Only then should the panic button be pressed. But it's always disappointing when another day goes by and the resolution still isn't official.

Right there with you. I fear after seeing this digital likeness proposal by the studios if they cling to this and don't back off this is not ending anytime soon. 

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBH people won't stop watching films or TV shows and as I keep pointing out, the rest of the world is still making films and TV. 

It's like suggesting concert films and recording of theatre will kill live entertainment. 

Eh, Gen z and alpha have already rejected tv and movies way more than any other gen before them (since they became a thing). We don’t need even more reason for kids/teens to stop caring about tv and films if there legitimately aren’t many. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The Flash already used dead corpse CGI versions of Reeve Superman and West Batman. No way WB paid any estate for them.

That's not how it works. They pretty much have to pay the estates and get their permissions before using CG recreations. We can thank Back to the Future 2 and Crispin Glover for that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

They really thought this would fly with SAG.  Hey can some of the Pro AMPTP people who lurk around here defend this shit? 

AMPTP wants to pay actors the least amount possible and AI will let them do that. It's all about maximizing profits.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh, Gen z and alpha have already rejected tv and movies way more than any other gen before them (since they became a thing). We don’t need even more reason for kids/teens to stop caring about tv and films when there legitimately aren’t many. 

Isn’t Gen Z the main audience driving movie sales right now. I mean, did we forget the successes of Mario, Oppenheimer and Barbie?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh, Gen z and alpha have already rejected tv and movies way more than any other gen before them (since they became a thing). We don’t need even more reason for kids/teens to stop caring about tv and films if there legitimately aren’t many. 

What? Gen Z is the only thing keeping theaters alive at this point. It is Gen X and Boomers who don't care about movie theaters.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That's not how it works. They pretty much have to pay the estates and get their permissions before using CG recreations. We can thank Back to the Future 2 and Crispin Glover for that.

Good to hear. So what the hell is this AI thing about? Just using AI to cheap out and not pay living actors?

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Isn’t Gen Z the main audience driving movie sales right now. I mean, did we forget the successes of Mario, Oppenheimer and Barbie?

Don’t think so for Mario and Opp? Barbie was like 25-35 range I think, so older gen z and millennials. Older gen z skew more towards millennial habits. But also, yes the huge breakouts we’ve had all were able to pull in some Z audience, which is the reason we have so few breakouts now. That’s not common. 

Q1 of 2024 is already looking barren with some additional titles like Madame Web and Kung Fu Panda 4 appearing pretty much certain to be delayed (Night Swim might be on the move too since its marketing only lists it as "Coming Soon" so far). Good for the holiday movies that they'll be able to hold onto screens for a while, I guess.