Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Just now, Jonwo said:

I do agree but WB is looking for something to fill a gap in 2024, Aquaman fits the bill better than the other two. 

I suspect if Aquaman moves then Disney will likely move The Marvels to December.

WB actually has quite a few movies that are currently in post-production for early next year that they can easily move around. Godzilla x Kong, Mickey 17 (both of these are set to come out in March), Furiosa, that animated Lord of the Rings movie. It's only another few weeks until the release date musical chairs begins as studios will start to space stuff out for 2024 as strike insurance (without abandoning the 2023 box office).

People are so lazy. Read an article on Kotaku about Netflix gaining subscribers for their Password Sharing ban. I replied to someone complaining by suggesting they cancel Netflix, and people jumped on me for telling them to stop complaining.

I know that seems irrelevant to the Strikes, but more people need to start putting their money where their mouth is, and realize simply complaining won't stop jack shit. Studios won't make changes until their bottom line is affected. If it isn't affected, why would they make a change? Look at Tom Cruise, him being on the picket line would 100% help the cause, but he ain't gonna, because it'll affect his bottom line (his relationship with the studios to make the movies he wants).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

People are so lazy. Read an article on Kotaku about Netflix gaining subscribers for their Password Sharing ban. I replied to someone complaining by suggesting they cancel Netflix, and people jumped on me for telling them to stop complaining.

I know that seems irrelevant to the Strikes, but more people need to start putting their money where their mouth is, and realize simply complaining won't stop jack shit. Studios won't make changes until their bottom line is affected. If it isn't affected, why would they make a change? Look at Tom Cruise, him being on the picket line would 100% help the cause, but he ain't gonna, because it'll affect his bottom line (his relationship with the studios to make the movies he wants).

I’m pretty sure Tom Cruise has more than enough clout that he’d be able to participate in the strikes without having to worry about it hurting his career. 

• Like 1

I’m 110 percent in favor of the strike but I think no matter what not everyone can get what they want. I feel like the studios know they messed up going to streaming and there isn’t as much money in it as they thought. If we found out how many people are really watching these shows stock prices are gonna tank. Universal will be fine thanks to their parent company but studios like Paramount and WB might have to be bought out. We’re gonna have to get used to less blockbusters a year and be open to animation. Hollywood is gonna be hurting for money soon. 

58 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m pretty sure Tom Cruise has more than enough clout that he’d be able to participate in the strikes without having to worry about it hurting his career. 

Tom Cruise is also so rich he does not have to work another day in his life.

30 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

I’m 110 percent in favor of the strike but I think no matter what not everyone can get what they want. I feel like the studios know they messed up going to streaming and there isn’t as much money in it as they thought. If we found out how many people are really watching these shows stock prices are gonna tank. Universal will be fine thanks to their parent company but studios like Paramount and WB might have to be bought out. We’re gonna have to get used to less blockbusters a year and be open to animation. Hollywood is gonna be hurting for money soon. 

Surely it'll mean less original content on the streamers rather than Hollywood showing less films? 

People worry about the studios but they're not going to go extinct anytime soon.

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Surely it'll mean less original content on the streamers rather than Hollywood showing less films? 

People worry about the studios but they're not going to go extinct anytime soon.

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think it is more the studios might cut back on the big budget action/sfx movies and try something different.

You have one guy here who is trying to convince everybody how great a world where nothing but big budget franchise film are shwoen in theaters would be.....

3 hours ago, Vector Sigma said:

Where is your proof, besides what people on Twitter are saying or your own personal feelings about streaming?

6 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

I'd be very weary of using any immediate short-term stock market info as fodder against the studios since that can usually backfire really fast. It won't be until next quarter that the effects of the strike are somewhat felt.

if this doesn't end in a month , I'm thinking its settled in November or January 

i don't see why the studios don't meet somewhere in the middle with residuals , they must be scared shitless with reporting real streaming numbers, all this AI demands from the studios should be dropped  for the next 3 years

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It would be very healthy for this entire conversation if we all stopped looking towards the figurehead of a disgusting cult (that has spent millions of dollars schmoozing Hollywood studios for decades) as a person who should be anywhere near these negotiations, in any way whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

if this doesn't end in a month , I'm thinking its settled in November or January 

i don't see why the studios don't meet somewhere in the middle with residuals , they must be scared shitless with reporting real streaming numbers, all this AI demands from the studios should be dropped  for the next 3 years

I've always said with the actors inclusion this will end in September/October. Still sticking to it. 

Also I think the movement of Dune is likely because if the chance that they don't Chalamet doing lots of promotion for two movies in back to back months once it ends. Have at all be focused on Wonka till its release and so after Wonka they can put all the energy into Dune p 2.

23 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

It would be very healthy for this entire conversation if we all stopped looking towards the figurehead of a disgusting cult (that has spent millions of dollars schmoozing Hollywood studios for decades) as a person who should be anywhere near these negotiations, in any way whatsoever.

eric-andre-controversial-yet-so-brave.gi

• Haha 1

@dobrevv just shared the Nielsen streaming numbers that got quietly released yesterday. What I find interesting there is that something that  me and @MysteryMovieMogul have talked about here before, which is we don’t really know how much of an audience these streaming services get from these shows and films that they have available on them, and using fucking Samba as a thermometer is bullshit. Nielsen is a better tool to gauge interest, but it doesn’t replace actually knowing how many subscribers watched the shows and films there.

I mean take a look at this:

image-3.png?resize=910,511

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/suits-nielsen-top-10-netflix-the-bear-1235675548/

Secret Invasion, the new MCU show that Samba reported as the "second least watched MCU show"  actually looks good at first, here right? I mean, it’s the single show with only one episode, and it ranks at the 5th place there between 06/19 and 06/25 461 million minutes viewed, compare it with what all the whole doom and gloom that came out of the Samba debacle it looks pretty good, isn’t it? I mean even we compare with Black Mirror, which seems to gauge all the episodes watched from that series on that time period and not really just the first episode, it seems quite strong.

Do you know what this means that we know now more about the audience of Secret Invasion? Actually, not that much more. Like @Porthos explained on the Disney Thread, while Nielsen is obviously more reliable than fucking Samba, it’s still not a completely reliable metric. Hence why believing on shit like Samba is bullshit, doesn’t matter what film or series they are talking about, and why we should truly stop doing the studios jobs of convincing the public that streaming doesn’t make money to them. It’s up to them to be transparent with the people they work with, not on us to keep a narrative that shows clearly radically different numbers like it just happened with this particular stance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coneilg93 said:

I almost complimented a CEO based on a headline.

Pro tip: always read the full article before complimenting a CEO. Yeah Tony I’m also an optimist but the reason a lot of people are out of jobs is because you and your other CEO friends don’t pay your writers and actors what they’re worth. Want to settle? Sure, lead the pack of CEOs, cut the cheap sentimentalism crap and get them to agree to WGA’s and SAG-AFTRA’s terms.

• Like 1