Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I may of even been a little high with some of my weekday totals as i feel this will become more of a weekend film as the weeks go on.

So yeah i see around 580mil toital, which is great to be honest.

You might be right. I thought whatever it did this weekend it would do around ten times as its total gross, and while on Monday I thought it might be heading for 60M+ third weekend and 600M+ total it will be difficult to do it when weekdays are going to be very soft until Memorial Day. I'm sure if you said this movie is going to do 580M total a few weeks ago people would have called you delusional. And had this been released in June/July or November/December it may have very well ended up with 600M+. Maybe the sequel can do it. 

• Like 1

$434m (est.) by its 3rd weekend!  Prior to its release, most people and the media didn't think it would reach that by the end of its run.  This is phenomenal, and whether or not it reaches $600m domestic it's still going to be a crazy breakout hit, well over $1B WW, and wonderful for movie theaters and theatrical animation.  

It's also insane how (albeit with a few mishaps), Mario has remained so popular/culturally relevant for decades.

Edited by DTP

14 minutes ago, DTP said:

$434m (est.) by its 3rd weekend!  Prior to its release, most people and the media didn't think it would reach that by the end of its run.  This is phenomenal, and whether or not it reaches $600m domestic it's still going to be a crazy breakout hit, well over $1B WW, and wonderful for movie theaters and theatrical animation.  

It's also insane how (albeit with a few mishaps), Mario has remained so popular/culturally relevant for decades.

What? A lot of people thought Mario could be huge.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chaz said:

Who reports Chinese box office totals? The CCP?

Wow, you must be living on Mars. Whatever associating Politics is bullishit. Please change your mind or better don't write anything about Chinese Box Office if you are too much into who is leading Chinese Politics.

FYI, CFA (China Film Administration) reports CBO. But, there is Maoyan / Taopiaopiao / EnDATA reporting real-time data. Literally, everything from IMAX numbers to individual theatre earnings+scores across the boards (Inclusive of Provincial &City Earnings). Like Avengers: Endgame is still the Highest Grossing Film in Shanghai.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

13 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

China is not the only country in Asia. Shinkai is very shrewd when it comes to promoting his movies outside of Japan unlike other anime directors and keeps visiting not just the usual markets like SK but also often neglected regions like India as part of his promotional tours.

Other Directors do visit but their visit aren't officially listed and kept unknown. SLAM DUNK Director secretly visited Korea twice. But, it was unknown unless he appears on random theatre picture posted by his fans. 

It's not unusual but never noticed. They don't go for promotion but check if audience are in touch with their work. Nevertheless, many have anonymous identity and you may never if they have visited or not.

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Wow, you must be living on Mars. Whatever associating Politics is bullishit. Please change your mind or better don't write anything about Chinese Box Office if you are too much into who is leading Chinese Politics.

FYI, CFA (China Film Administration) reports CBO. But, there is Maoyan / Taopiaopiao / EnDATA reporting real-time data. Literally, everything from IMAX numbers to individual theatre earnings+scores across the boards (Inclusive of Provincial &City Earnings). Like Avengers: Endgame is still the Highest Grossing Film in Shanghai.

Girl, it was a legitimate question. I don’t know how anything in China works.