Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

5 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

I'm going to be processing Beau is afraid for a while.

It was like being inside the mind of someone who took LSD to work out their crippling anxiety and mental issues for 3 hours.

I cannot imagine this is going to play well with audiences. An F cinemascore wouldn't surprise me.

Based on reactions/WOM, I'm very much getting Tree of Life vibes from Beau

16 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Crawdads Sings, Elvis, Everywhere Everything All At Once, Sonic 2, Puss In Boots, Cocaine Bear 

It feels like lots of places really undersold/forgot/ignored how well Crawdads did. Perhaps just because it's not a genre this forum and online types in general care for that much.

Dungeons and Dragons finally with a decent drop. I don't care if it's too late. Just hoping at this point for signs it will become appropriately beloved in the next few years and have a quick turnaround into positive reception. And keep trucking through some digits that push it away from absolutely colossal bomb territory and merely into mundane flop that was quickly reclaimed.

I should have said earlier on that I didn't buy teens for Evil Dead Rises and that it would perform waaaay better than that. It's an adult crowdpleaser for the audience it caters to. I didn't love it like I love ED2 and the 2013 masterpiece, but it's a really good, fun time at the movies if you like that sort of thing. 

I finally watched Renfield this week. I thought it was okay, quite enjoyed it indeed, but I absolutely get why it has fallen between every demographic crack going and hit with a thud. Just misses every target group other than "person who in general quite likes spooky movies and Nicholas Cage and is okay with extreme violence but only very occasionally but also okay with slow bits, lingering focus on existentialism and personal worth and teased but ultimately unsatisfying romances" which does include me, but I'm not sure was the wisest market.

And once again I was going to see Air because it looks quite good, then decided against it because it's just what it is. Which frankly sounds like the story of its run.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

16 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

My expectation heading into weekend was ~4.3x Fri (+90%/-30%) and off that Fri number it’s got a fairly decent chance of clearing $60M