Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I see @TwoMisfits is making wild predictions again with Spider-Verse winning the summer, I think that honour will belong to Indiana Jones. 

Where is the fun of the board without wild predictions:).  If you don't swing, you can't hit the ball:).

I mean, a much more wild prediction would be no May movie in the summer Top 3...and an even wilder one would be no May movie in the summer Top 5 (this one might be too wild even for me:).

Spidey winning the summer is tame in comparison.

It's like predicting Mario would win the year DOM and WW before it opened...oh wait, I did:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Indy 5 will be a big disappointment box office wise.

Flash and Across The Spider-Verse will do very well.

Oppenheimer will defeat Barbie.

MI:7 will do 300M+ domestic.

Little Mermaid will do well.

I have been on the Transformers hype for a long time but I might have to regret that.

Elemental will surprise most expectations.

Fast X will be bad domestic but a monster OS

41 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

To add fuel to the summer box office discussion fire

Barbie ahead of oppenheimer. 🌚

edited to add, but where is guardians of the galaxy?

Edited by eddyxx

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I imagine Transformers will absolutely take them all. DnD isn't a Disney live action remake of a classic. Of course, not sure Little Mermaid will breakout but I still think it'll keep some of the premium screens with Spidey not getting them all. But, yeah, probably just has them OW. That's going to be a problem for a lot of releases this summer though. Most will only have premiums for a week. That's it.

I kind of get that renovations are expensive, especially since most theaters probably only barely break even, and this kind of stuff would destroy small movies even more than they are now, but...man, theaters really need to add more PLFs. Like 2 IMAX auditoriums, 2 Dolbys, 2 4DXes, the works. It's clearly what people want, and the low supply and high demand for this stuff is going to hurt every movie this summer, at least for their second weekends. And while maybe some movies can survive bad second weekend drops, it won't be as easy as it was last summer with far more product out there.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Barbie ahead of oppenheimer. 🌚

edited to add, but where is guardians of the galaxy?

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think they started with Fast X for summer blockbuster season. Didn't include Guardians on the poll. That's the only thing that makes sense...

That is exactly it. I don't know why, but whatever floats their boat.

6 minutes ago, Eric Williams said:

I kind of get that renovations are expensive, especially since most theaters probably only barely break even, and this kind of stuff would destroy small movies even more than they are now, but...man, theaters really need to add more PLFs. Like 2 IMAX auditoriums, 2 Dolbys, 2 4DXes, the works. It's clearly what people want, and the low supply and high demand for this stuff is going to hurt every movie this summer, at least for their second weekends. And while maybe some movies can survive bad second weekend drops, it won't be as easy as it was last summer with far more product out there.

It'd be nice if there was an IMAX closer than 45 minutes away

5 minutes ago, Eric Williams said:

I'm not sure it's possible to have multiple versions of PLFs like 2 IMAXs and 2 4DXs etc the format owners are very strict on how many of these formats are in cinemas. 

32 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I'd be very surprised if TRANSFORMERS breaks out. There's nothing about it that makes it special or appealing to people who hopped off the series train, it's just another TRANSFORMERS movie.

sneider heard it was a bit of a disaster, with duelling edits rn

33 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I'd be very surprised if TRANSFORMERS breaks out. There's nothing about it that makes it special or appealing to people who hopped off the series train, it's just another TRANSFORMERS movie.

sounds like it could win big in China then, since even the last knight made 200M+ in there

in terms of breakouts I see Spiderverse doing well, but not insanely breaking out just because of how suffocated it is by other movies releasing around the same time. I see MI7 doing over 400m so that's probably my boldest prediction