Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Evil Dead is looking to be WB's first certified hit since...Elvis, 10 months ago.

Domestically that's true but they released Creed III overseas which has been successful  and Air's done decently for them as well OS.

• Like 1

is it also kind of ridiculous that Air cost 90 million

remember reading a comment from someone complaining "why don't we get more movies like Good Will Hunting anymore??" Yeah because Good Will Hunting cost 10 million which probably wouldn't even be 30 million today. Thus it can be easy profitable. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, John Marston said:

remember reading a comment from someone complaining "why don't we get more movies like Good Will Hunting anymore??" Yeah because Good Will Hunting cost 10 million which probably wouldn't even be 30 million today. Thus it can be easy profitable. 

The reason behind Air's inflated budget is super admirable through Artists Equity though

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Are you being sarcastic? That would be more shocking than it's box office run. Highest grossing animated movies don't automatically get that award. For instance, Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (110K WW) won it last year. Rise of Gru (940M WW) wasn't even nominated last year for Best Animated Feature last year... Nominees were Pinocchio, Puss In Boots, Marcel the Shell, Sea Beast and Turning Red. 

I imagine the favorites this year are likely Elemental and Spider-verse. Potentially Suzume might sneak in there too. And, I'm probably unaware of a few other animated movies that'll be in contention.

I do think Super Mario will be nominated for and maybe even win Best Original Song with Jack Black's Peaches though.

Yes, I was sarcastic lmao. I do hope though that Jack Black's "Peaches" gets a nom, that would be awesome and hilarious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Are you being sarcastic? That would be more shocking than it's box office run. Highest grossing animated movies don't automatically get that award. For instance, Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (110K WW) won it last year. Rise of Gru (940M WW) wasn't even nominated last year for Best Animated Feature last year... Nominees were Pinocchio, Puss In Boots, Marcel the Shell, Sea Beast and Turning Red. 

I imagine the favorites this year are likely Elemental and Spider-verse. Potentially Suzume might sneak in there too. And, I'm probably unaware of a few other animated movies that'll be in contention.

I do think Super Mario will be nominated for and maybe even win Best Original Song with Jack Black's Peaches though.

Academy doesn’t care about this award generally speaking (tragically). The fact that Mario could leave a pretty huge impact on the industry for video game movies and also be the biggest movie of the whole year means I could see it winning the award.

That may get their attention more than animation usually does, esp now that they can’t hit snooze and auto-pick Pixar/WDAS every year with neither studio being very successful atm. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

FRIDAY

14.09M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

10.30M | EVIL DEAD RISE

02.25M | THE COVENANT

01.57M | JOHN WICK IV

01.39M | D&D: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

01.13M | BEAU IS AFRAID

01.00M | THE POPE'S EXORCIST

00.91M | RENFIELD

00.54M | CHEVALIER

00.44M | SUZUME

Think Air is missing. haha

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Academy doesn’t care about this award generally speaking (tragically). The fact that Mario could leave a pretty huge impact on the industry for video game movies and also be the biggest movie of the whole year means I could see it winning the award.

That may get their attention more than animation usually does, esp now that they can’t hit snooze and auto-pick Pixar/WDAS every year with neither studio being very successful atm. 

This past year it seemed they cared. They nommed arguably the best cast of movies (although I would have preferred The Bad Guys over The Sea Beast) in years, and gave Del Toro's Pinocchio the first stop motion win since Wallace and Gromit (2006) I believe. They really messed it up in 2022 but I think they made up for the award this year.

Edited by Austin

1 minute ago, Austin said:

This past year it seemed they cared. The nommed arguably the best cast of movies (although I would have preferred The Bad Guys over The Sea Beast) in years, and gave the Del Toro's Pinocchio the first stop motion win since Wallace and Gromit (2006) I believe. They really messed it up in 2022 but I think they made up for the award this year.

You could also argue they just gave it to Pinocchio because it’s GDT and he has a pedigree with them now. Sometimes I question if most who vote even watch them. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You could also argue they just gave it to Pinocchio because it’s GDT and he has a pedigree with them now. Sometimes I question if most who vote even watch them. 

They watch the big ones, the indie ones not so much [which is absurd]

But since Pinocchio is a big one, i´m pretty sure it didn´t win solely because it´s from Guillermo, the movie is amazing 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But since Pinocchio is a big one, i´m pretty sure it didn´t win solely because it´s from Guillermo, the movie is amazing 

Personally would have picked Puss in Boots 2, but Pinocchio was really good too so I'm not complaining. Del Toro also gave his "Animation is not a genre, it's a medium" speech which was so satisfying to see. Also would have loved to see Marcel win because that movie was also amazing, but I'm glad it at least got the nom.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not implying Pinocchio was undeserving, just that I’m not sure if it won bc of quality. May have been more of a “let’s just give it to that GDT one” thing with voters. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Aur got budgeted like a streaming movie and Amazon was willing to throw big money at the project. Plus, the music rights, it has like every big hit from 1984. If it had been planned as a theatrical release all along, it probably costs $50? million (Covid costs have bumped up studio budgets). Maybe $40 million they film outside of LA, go a bit less famous in a couple of the roles and skip the superstar needle drops.

Side note, Air and Don't Look Up ($75m) costing what they did with the casts they have, just shows how wild Nancy Meyers was for wanting $150m for a Netflix romcom.

55 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Side note, Air and Don't Look Up ($75m) costing what they did with the casts they have, just shows how wild Nancy Meyers was for wanting $150m for a Netflix romcom.

Since that movie seems dead and the MCU seems to be in need of a shakeup, I suggest they have her direct one of their movies. Where the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom have their big showdown:

Nancy Meyers's Best Kitchens in Movies in Photos

Which somehow remains looking exactly like this by the end of the fight.

• Haha 1

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

I am not sure I should give any numbers tonight 😞

Hahahaha uh oh

FWIW, I look at a much smaller and more localized sample than you (6 theaters, all in southwest BC) but the trends from what I'm seeing are that Evil Dead is pretty much flat from true Friday, maybe a slight increase.

Beau is Afraid is falling pretty hard; I think there was definitely a fan rush for this movie (or maybe the WOM is killing it). Not awful numbers, but I wouldn't be so confident in 3M weekend. 

Mario strong but not 30M strong. Could see 25-26