filmlover

Poor Things | 12/8/23 | Searchlight | Emma Stone | Yorgos Lanthimos

Lol, so Grace Randolph has just seen this and tweeted out the premise to her followers (plus everyone else). It's going exactly as well as you'd expect. She also hated Oppenheimer and I don't think its awards chances will be hurt any by Beyond the Trailer's disapproval.

Though I agree that Searchlight must have caught the MPA on a good day for Poor Things to get an R rating.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Lol, so Grace Randolph has just seen this and tweeted out the premise to her followers (plus everyone else). It's going exactly as well as you'd expect. She also hated Oppenheimer and I don't think its awards chances will be hurt any by Beyond the Trailer's disapproval.

Though I agree that Searchlight must have caught the MPA on a good day for Poor Things to get an R rating.

I do think reviews will get worse a little now that these bloggers are starting to watch it. 

Not that they can’t enjoy something weirder, but Yorgos work overall is uncomfortable by design and sadly a lot of these type of reviewers have a really hard time dealing with movies beyond the simplest things, and the subject and proud sex here will probably just make it worse, even if the movie probably have more than enough subtext to work with it. 

But yeah it’ll be surprising if this hurts it on award season, but online discourse will be insufferable once this opens.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I do think reviews will get worse a little now that these bloggers are starting to watch it. 

Not that they can’t enjoy something weirder, but Yorgos work overall is uncomfortable by design and sadly a lot of these type of reviewers have a really hard time dealing with movies beyond the simplest things, and the subject and proud sex here will probably just make it worse, even if the movie probably have more than enough subtext to work with it. 

But yeah it’ll be surprising if this hurts it on award season, but online discourse will be insufferable once this opens.

So, Poor Things is going to be this award season's Licorice Pizza? Hooray... /s

$644K Start at 9 Theatres

In early exits polls, Poor Things received an A- CinemaScore. Audiences skewed 56% male, 70% under 35, 62% Caucasian, 17% Hispanic, 14% East Asian/Pacific Islander, 6% Black/African American, with 68% excellent with a 75% definite recommend. More than half the crowd are going to tell their friends to see Poor Things ASAP, describing it as visually interesting (81%), well-acted (79%), funny (69%), different/original (68%), interesting (65%) and entertaining (63%).

• Astonished 1

Very good film despite the obnoxious cinematography. Emma Stone and Mark Ruffalo are both amazing. Disturbing, moving and uplifting. But man I fucking hate the camera angles and the tiny image size.

Japan

4.4「Movie Walker」

4.2「Filmarks」

4.1「映画.com」

3.3「Y! 映画」

16.0 pts (80% RT)

Excellent Early OD Reception (missing the evening and late night shows) Y! 映画 is down for the time-being so Score will lift up once more ratings are been place.