kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | April 28 - 30 | Weekend Actuals | 40.84M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 12.13M EVIL DEAD RISE | 5.10M RETURN OF THE JEDI

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it was tracking for 110m or more then suddenly the last three weeks it had rapid theater loss leading to one bad drop after another. A shame

7 new wide releases on April 14th alone and 5 this weekend will do that unfortunately. In hindsight they all should’ve just kept Scream VI though lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Flip said:

I wonder if D & D has done well enough to warrant a sequel. It obviously won't break even, but it has great WOM and it unfortunately released the week before Mario in a crowded schedule

Probably not. Best we can hope for is a Paramount Plus series or something along those lines. Even in that case, any series that they do will likely be a "spin-off" set in that world.

I dont think Guardians will be that big to suck away all the screens. Look at the holds when Ant 3 opened. We will see good holds next weekend as well. Mario will do 25m+ despite losing PLF. Other holdovers will also do well except movies which are not received well. I am expecting Margaret to have a great hold for sure but that wont help overall as the OW has been disappointing. 

D&D could squeeze to 100m domestic. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Blankments said:

@Eric Foreman @WrathOfHan April is practically over so I wanted to do this the week before summer officially starts:

16x:

Oppenheimer: Nope Dolby, The Black Phone, Nope Round 2 IMAX, Bullet Train Dolby, Jaws Round 2 IMAX, Avatar Round 4 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, The Pale Blue Eye, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Close, 2022 Live-Action Oscar Shorts, Moving On, Inside, How to Blow Up a Pipeline Round 2

14x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Sing 2 Dolby, Belle Round 2, Morbius Dolby, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Missing, 2022 Animated Shorts, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Shazam! Fury of the Gods IMAX, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, Suzume

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Selfiee, Creed III IMAX Round 2, 65, Return of the Jedi

11x:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie: Black Adam Dolby, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby Atmos Round 0, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Pathaan, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts

9x:

Fast X: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Cocaine Bear, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Shazam! Fury of the Gods IMAX, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, A Thousand and One

The Little Mermaid: Avatar Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar Round 3 3D, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts, Return of the Jedi

8x:

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Scream VI Dolby, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, A Thousand and One, Suzume

7x:

Renfield: M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear, 65, Scream VI Dolby, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

Elemental: The Fabelmans, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, Suzume

6x:

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Elvis Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D

Evil Dead Rise: M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear, 65, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

Beau is Afraid: The Whale, Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Close, Tori and Lokita

5x:

Air: Navalny, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Scream VI Dolby, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby

Chevalier: The Menu, The Inspection, Close, Navalny, A Thousand and One

Polite Society: Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Selfiee, Inside, A Thousand and One, Suzume

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Creed III IMAX, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby, Return of the Jedi

4x:

Mafia Mamma: Violent Night, Emily, Scream VI Dolby, Air

Reveal hidden contents

Realizing I saw a grand total of four (public release) movies this month oops

12x:

Oppenheimer (Nope, Bullet Train, Jaws IMAX, Avatar Re-Release, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4, Air)

8x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, The Super Mario Bros. Movie)

6x:

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Cocaine Bear, John Wick: Chapter 4, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Air)

5x:

Chevalier (Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Infinity Pool, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Creed III, Scream VI)

Fast X (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, The Super Mario Bros. Movie)

The Little Mermaid (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves)

4x:

Barbie (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, The Super Mario Bros. Movie)

Evil Dead Rise (M3GAN, Infinity Pool, Knock at the Cabin, Scream VI)

The Flash (Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Air)

Renfield (M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear, Scream VI)

3x:

Beau Is Afraid (M3GAN, Infinity Pool, Knock at the Cabin)

Elemental (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves)

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, The Super Mario Bros. Movie)

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Air)

2x:

Air (Creed III, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves)

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant (Creed III, Air)

Strays (Cocaine Bear, Beau Is Afraid)

1x:

About My Father (Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (Magic Mike's Last Dance)

Big George Foreman: The Miraculous Story of the Once and Future Heavyweight Champion of the World (Air)

Blackberry (Beau Is Afraid)

The Blackening (John Wick: Chapter 4)

The Boogeyman (Scream VI)

Book Club: The Next Chapter (The Super Mario Bros. Movie)

Joy Ride (Air)

Mafia Mamma (Air)

Migration (The Super Mario Bros. Movie)

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (Top Gun: Maverick)

Past Lives (Beau Is Afraid)

Polite Society (Knock at the Cabin)

Sanctuary (Beau Is Afraid)

Sisu (John Wick: Chapter 4)

Somewhere in Queens (Air)

Sweetwater (Air)

Talk to Me (Beau Is Afraid)

Trolls: Band Together (The Super Mario Bros. Movie)

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

7 new wide releases on April 14th alone and 5 this weekend will do that unfortunately. In hindsight they all should’ve just kept Scream VI though lol. 

I don't understand why people feel every movie needs to be released in theater. Movies like Margaret and George Foreman are perfect for straight to streaming movies. No need to take away screens from movies people are more likely to see

I just finished watching Return of the Jedi in theaters, and am now happy the last SW movie I watched in a theater wasn't that piece of garbage Rise of Skywalker.

My showing was 75% full, surprised at the turn out. Probably would be 90% if had been A New Hope.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I don't understand why people feel every movie needs to be released in theater. Movies like Margaret and George Foreman are perfect for straight to streaming movies. No need to take away screens from movies people are more likely to see

No male would willing see a movie about a preteen female puberty, and all boxing movies are flops unless they are part of or spinoffs of the Rocky franchise. Both movies should have went to streaming for sure.

I think theaters were desperate for content and studios decided to throw them into the fire to make a quick buck.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I would've never seen Margaret if it released straight to streaming, so nahhhh

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

No male would willing see a movie about a preteen female puberty, and all boxing movies are flops unless they are part of or spinoffs of the Rocky franchise. Both movies should have went to streaming for sure.

I think theaters were desperate for content and studios decided to throw them into the fire to make a quick buck.

Bet if they released it in more theaters it would have  easily been 3rd this weekend

What the heck I was trying to quote mojoguys rotj post

Edited by screambaby

If Lionsgate keeps the title, a theatrical release increases the value of said movie for licensing, even if it flops. With how much streamers are cutting down their spending, it was unlikely that any of them would buy the movie outright from Lionsgate, or they wouldn't offer enough to make it worthwhile. Additionally, Lionsgate doesn't have a streaming service of their own that's on the level of their competitors, and from what I've read, they frequently pre-sell foreign distribution rights to their titles to offset production costs. For a $30m production from them, I think it was still worth a shot sending it to theaters.

• Like 7

Margaret’s actual apparent quality will ensure it does ok for those that invested in it.  You’ve got a much better shot at breaking even if your film has longevity. It’ll go through the windows and in time find its audience.

it’s not like its key audience isn’t aware it’s apparently great. You’ve just got to get them to pay for it somewhere along the line, which is much more likely with the profile of a theatrical release. 

Better to be associated with theatres than lost in the mud with the rest of the straight to television thumbnails, no matter how disappointing your numbers are. I say that for a certain budget of film mind.  If you’re Strange World there’s no coming back. 

19 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Absolutely massive start in Japan, took down Frozen 2s opening (and 2x Frozen 1). If Mario has legs like non-sequel Japanese breakouts can often have, this is going to be an extremely exciting box office run there. Knew Japan was gonna show up for such a cultural icon. 

Actuals are out now, and looks like Universal overestimated Mario's opening in Japan. Frozen 2 still holds the Hollywood animated opening record, but Mario will gain quite a bit of ground on that comp with the huge holiday week ahead. 

• Like 2