Eric is Quiet

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

The 80's is still selling tickets.

Tom Cruise(Top Gun, Mission Impossible), Keanu(Matrix), 80's stars. Mario, Scream, Rocky, 80's property. 80's is still living today. While comic books have lots of movies, 80's still making lots of money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes but he didn't handle it well cause he posted the numbers of the other GOTG movies without explaining that boxoffice is cratering in China. I know that it's a good opening all things considered but not when pit against other numbers. He tried too many things at the same time in that tweet. 

Just focus on the numbers. You already know he isn't good at these comparisons. He just posts the earliest most of the time (just like today with GOTG III) and/or the numbers of the related movies that's why I post them here. Again, focus on the numbers and ignore his comparisons and projections.

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

52 including all the big ones. Yes, it is low from that POV but I guess the real story is the hold over the weekend not the number itself. So that's encouraging. 

I mean, are there any markets left to open?

Seems like The Super Mario Bros Movie’s OS gross will be above the OS grosses of all the Pixar movies, and the next animated targets for Mario to beat WW-wise, are Incredibles 2 & Frozen. 👩🏻‍💼💁🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️😲

And if the Super Mario movie gets to over more than $1.350B+ WW, then Harry Potter: DH2 & Black Panther are done for.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2

What BS here from Deadline

That said, why was the opening here for GOTG3 not as vibrant as GOTG2? Sources believe that part 2’s pinnacle was more of fluke in its overperformance, and that the gross here for GOTG3 is within it’s real mean for these outer universe Marvel pics, which we’ve been served plenty of, i.e. Deadpool 2 ($125.5M) in 2018, not to mention, we’ve seen the Guardians appear in a number of movies like Avengers and Thor. Still, many are telling me it’s not about overexposure of the Guardians gang.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

I think this is a -35% drop in holdovers from last weekend.

These numbers are estimates.

68.3M last weekend (14.3M from Japan)

50.3M this weekend (18.2M from Japan)

54.0M last weekend (without Japan)

32.1M this weekend (without Japan)

So a 40.6% drop which is still good.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Like 95% of recent Hollywood films have cratered in China. Projections there were sub $20M then jumped to $28M. Pretty sure that’s why he said “exploded”

The explosion in China is that it grew 50% on sunday on OW. I know saturday was a workday. But that is RARE and IMPRESSIVE

BOOOOOOOOOMMM

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fmpro said:

The explosion in China is that it grew 50% on sunday on OW. I know saturday was a workday. But that is RARE and IMPRESSIVE

BOOOOOOOOOMMM

WoM is definitely good; but most movies jumped strongly on Sun. Like you pointed out - Sat was working day.

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

WoM is definitely good; but most movies jumped strongly on Sun. Like you pointed out - Sat was working day.

Still think GOTG got the biggest increase. On OW..

Lets see what happens on monday. PS are down around 87%

I really want Guardians to cross 300M. Saw it again Friday, I came around to it in a big way, really great movie. It would just feel wrong for it to end up in the high 200s (or even lower).

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

They have an untitled Marvel film for July 12th next year. For that to make the date, they need to start shooting soon. The thing is, I don't think any of the previously announced Sony-Marvel titles are actually seeing some movement production-wise.

Sony was about to go into production on Venom 3, but I'm guessing that the writers strike will slow that down. With Joker 2 being a planned fall release (along with plans for MCU Blade and Deadpool 3), I could see Sony aiming to get that out in the summer instead of their usual fall strategy. Their only superhero competition would be Thunderbolts.

But, they'll have to get production on track soon.

• Like 1