kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

1 minute ago, GambitPool said:

If we're just throwing names out, I wanna direct Secret Wars. Get ready for a 1978 Doctor Strange cameo!

I'll be your producer and get Timothee to play Peter Parker LIKE HE DESERVES TO BE

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I feel that the industry only lets singer/actors be successful AND acclaimed in both fields if they establish themselves first as singers. When they turn to acting, it's a bonus if they are good and they aren't any less respected as musicians going forward.

The reverse doesn't seem to be true, especially if an actress does pop music, movie critics seem to treat the pop career like it's a frivolous distraction that takes the star away from the "real" art of film. And they might say it's made them too famous in the wrong way, so they can't take that person seriously anymore in acting roles. Maybe it hasn't always been true, and not every singer who tries acting succeeds with it. Then you have the Disney/Nickelodeon alums who got simultaneous pushes as singers and actors as kids, but as they grow up  their careers end up going mostly one way or the other.

Very acclaimed but she auditioned for so many franchises and lost out due to supposed lack of star power. I think her career is far better for it. Is she much of a household name outside of Ireland and maybe the UK? I have doubts.

Good hold for The Little Mermaid!

Jennifer Lopez.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric 2099 said:

I'll be your producer and get Timothee to play Peter Parker LIKE HE DESERVES TO BE

Looking at those reviews for The Crowded Room, Tom Holland's gonna be spider-man till his ass is 50 at this point lol

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Looking at those reviews for The Crowded Room, Tom Holland's gonna be spider-man till his ass is 50 at this point lol

Nathan Drake, too...

I actually see Tom Holland with a Tom Cruise-like career...he's just not gonna be loved in certain roles...but put him in a charismatic action movie, and he'll bring in the masses...

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

L&M don't need Disney micromanaging that sucks out creativity. Very doubtful they would have more freedom at Marvel than they had at Lucasfilm where Kennedy reportedly didn't like the way they folded their socks (this was THR or Variety report not some insider site like Grace).

They allowed Gunn to do his Gunnisms. I don't see why they can't let them do what they want.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Not really a huge fan of him, but it will always annoy me how he and his agents keep forcing him into action movies and thrillers and dark, twisted stuff when he clearly has major theater kid energy and would do well in lighter material. Like he was a contender for Wonka and he would probably do solid in the part.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I actually see Tom Holland with a Tom Cruise-like career...he's just not gonna be loved in certain roles...but put him in a charismatic action movie, and he'll bring in the masses...

Cruise only did dramas in the 90's, i don't think Holland will have that kind of luxury with the kind of scripts he's getting asked for. He could always do an A24 film and then do prestige smaller films, but even with crowded room he got paid like $20m so idk

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

For any project that's not Spider-man Tom Holland is a red flag.

Even beyond career reasons, where he ended up in NWH sets him up for a pretty compelling spider-man arc. He could be another tobey where this is all he does and it wouldn't be that bad

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1

Just now, Eric 2099 said:

Not really a huge fan of him, but it will always annoy me how he and his agents keep forcing him into action movies and thrillers and dark, twisted stuff when he clearly has major theater kid energy and would do well in lighter material. Like he was a contender for Wonka and he would probably do solid in the part.

Yeah, that was my point - he's not dark and twisted, and audiences don't want him in those roles - they'll take light, charismatic, energetic, high speed, athletic, and I think musical...fun, not fear and loathing, for him in roles...

No one liked Tom Cruise in his dark and twisted roles (the few of them), either...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

LOLOLOLOLOL imagine thinking Holland will have the opportunity - or capability - of doing movies like Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, A Few Good Men, or Jerry Maguire. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

LOLOLOLOLOL imagine thinking Holland will have the opportunity - or capability - of doing movies like Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, A Few Good Men, or Jerry Maguire. 

Those are not dark roles...and thus, why folks absolutely loved Cruise in them...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No one liked Tom Cruise in his dark and twisted roles (the few of them), either...

idk, he got oscar nominations for born on the fourth of july and magnolia, and even collateral made $100m dom in 2004. Shit, Vincent Collateral is probably his most bad-ass role too

c60b10bb76c6a8e7507100c5fb0e0144f6962bdf

Edit: It's almost a shame his whole brand now is being the cool action stunt guy, because he was pretty incredible as a sleezy, misogynistic, emotionally stunted man-child grifter in magnolia. Maybe an even more socially relevant performance now than it was back then

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

He needs to lean into his existing image instead of trying to do the offbeat macho older dude who has deep-rooted issues stuff. His face just isn't suited for it. He's a theater kid, he should try for a romcom or musical instead of these darker movies 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TMP said:

idk, he got oscar nominations for born on the fourth of july and magnolia, and even collateral made $100m dom in 2004. Shit, Vincent Collateral is probably his most bad-ass role too

c60b10bb76c6a8e7507100c5fb0e0144f6962bdf

I watched this one, and it's one of my least favorite roles for him (I never bought his acting here)...as a huge fan of Cruise's movies, I skipped this one til my Covid-induced completionist phase, so it didn't sell me at the time or later...