kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

Vincent Collateral is one of the best characters of the 21st century.

Also Tom Cruise is good when he's serious even in his lighter movies (see: Mission Impossible, Top Gun) and Tom Holland is not to be taken seriously when he gets the bass in his voice. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I watched this one, and it's one of my least favorite roles for him (I never bought his acting here)...as a huge fan of Cruise's movies, I skipped this one til my Covid-induced completionist phase, so it didn't sell me at the time or later...

On paper it feels like a role written for De Niro that he aged out of at the time, but I thought his energy was perfect for Vincent. Different strokes, but man I thought he just crushed that shit

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

Collateral is literally the oooonly time Tom Cruise embraced his inherently creepy energy in a film. gotta be appreciated at least for that.

he's a creep in magnolia, albeit a more emotionally broken one

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Vincent Collateral is one of the best characters of the 21st century.

Also Tom Cruise is good when he's serious even in his lighter movies (see: Mission Impossible, Top Gun) and Tom Holland is not to be taken seriously when he gets the bass in his voice. 

Look, I love Tom Cruise, and the fact he doesn't have an Oscar by this point is a travesty.  So, I'm not gonna argue against the going point that Cruise is one of the best actors currently working:).  

But, I'll say Holland can follow in his footsteps, and should try...that's where he can make a Cruise-like career...it's a path laid out for him, b/c you'll always need the light comedic/romantic/athletic action hero in some movie...but Holland's a "hero vibe", and he should accept people want to see him that way, and not as the villain or the evil, twisted one...

And if that also leads to musicals, it should - but again, certain musicals...

‘Lightyear’ Director and Producer Laid Off From Disney Pixar (vulture.com)

the people behind Lightyear have been Fired! Damn. Well that's what happens I guess when you make your Buzz Lightyear movie a poor man's Interstellar and sell the film by talking about how dumb the original Buzz Lightyear is and how "cool" your version is

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I love that he has a wolf fursona as a stand-in during his pick-up artist meetings. PTA lowkey predicted Nazi furs and it's kind of hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not just that Tom Holland has to play good guys, he can't play good guys with an ounce of intensity. No way could he be Jack Reacher or John Waroftheworlds or Mark Minorityreport. I agree that Holland would likely be very well served in a romatic comedy or a musical. Like a more handsome Michael Cera or a less clever Hugh Grant. Not Tom Cruise!

• Like 5

Uncharted was a hit so Holland now probably has a lot of negotiating power since he has shown he can "sell" a non Spider-Man film. I notice there is still no sequel to Uncharted announced though. Wonder if the studio feels they got away with it once but that is not guaranteed again 

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

He needs to lean into his existing image instead of trying to do the offbeat macho older dude who has deep-rooted issues stuff. His face just isn't suited for it. He's a theater kid, he should try for a romcom or musical instead of these darker movies 

Honestly that Fred Astaire movie might be the thing that gets him back on track in terms of non-Spider-Man stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

I love that he has a wolf fursona as a stand-in during his pick-up artist meetings. PTA lowkey predicted Nazi furs and it's kind of hilarious.

That whole performance feels right in-line with guys like Tate, the movie's aged so well. is it a little film-school-y with the Altman-like structure? maybe, but compared to the film-school ass shit Aster just did, it's subtle lol

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Uncharted was a hit so Holland now probably has a lot of negotiating power since he has shown he can "sell" a non Spider-Man film. I notice there is still no sequel to Uncharted announced though. Wonder if the studio feels they got away with it once but that is not guaranteed again 

I think the Uncharted release date helped, i think they'll release the next one on the tail of the next spidey film so they can sling-shot off of Holland's mega-success like they did with NWH for the first one

Edited by TMP

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

different kind of creep energy for sure. Tom Cruise isn't a pickup artist "power over pussy" type creep like the magnolia character. more like very intense gaze, wouldn't be totally shocked to find out he's killed a person, type energy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What's weird is I don't like the MCU Spider-Man movies much and I don't like Tom Holland as an actor but I like Tom Holland alot as MCU Spider-Man.

Holland Spider-Man is so frustrating, because everything about his performance and personality in a vaccuum is what I want out of Spider-Man and I feel the other guys didn't capture (though Garfield acting circles around the other two in NWH was hilarious), but then they got rid of the working class/"hero and regular guy" balancing act stuff that always made him so endearing as a character and it kind of ruins everything? Having him be Iron Man's apprentice arguably helped make his character stand out from the other versions, but it's just a pet peeve I can't really get behind...and also Jon Watts sucks.

This is why Spider-Verse is the perfect package. Captures that working class energy, while also having great performances and great writing and great direction. Really, why do we need all these other movies at this point? (This is rhetorical, don't answer this lol)

• Like 3

After he’s done with M:I I hope Cruise opens himself back up to working with filmmakers like PTA again, or at the very least starts doing more stuff like Collateral and Jerry Maguire. The projects that he announced with Chris McQuarrie seems like he’s considering doing that too.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

So Spiderverse had some creative jokes that got some decent laughs out of me but the funniest thing all night was when they showed a trailer for Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken and after the trailer ended someone in the audience shouted out "I am NOT gonna be watching that!" I almost choked on my water holding in the laugh.

HA! Happen to live in Victoria, BC? Because I literally did that last night :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Not really a huge fan of him, but it will always annoy me how he and his agents keep forcing him into action movies and thrillers and dark, twisted stuff when he clearly has major theater kid energy and would do well in lighter material. Like he was a contender for Wonka and he would probably do solid in the part.

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

He needs to lean into his existing image instead of trying to do the offbeat macho older dude who has deep-rooted issues stuff. His face just isn't suited for it. He's a theater kid, he should try for a romcom or musical instead of these darker movies 

He is doing that Fred Astaire thing, which seems well suited for him. I wonder whats the status on that. Last I heard was that it had found a director but that was 3-4 months ago. 

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

An Uncharted sequel would totally bomb. The movie got away with NWH hype carrying its OW and literally no competition carrying its legs. You are not gonna get that ever again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

different kind of creep energy for sure. Tom Cruise isn't a pickup artist "power over pussy" type creep like the magnolia character. more like very intense gaze, wouldn't be totally shocked to find out he's killed a person, type energy.

https://youtu.be/E76E0plhGy4

The interview that infamously inspired Christian Bale's performance in American Psycho lol. 

• Like 1