Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

26 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

China is next to worthless for any US film that isn't Fast or Avatar at this point. Get used to it.

Random films like Coco, Aquaman and Venom have connected with Chinese audiences and exploded. Don't see why that wouldn't be the case going forward as well.

• Like 2

Watched Transformers last night. Dragged my friend to it, who really REALLY didn’t want to go (to the point where I texted a mutual friend before the show saying “lol I dragged Jacob to Transformers I think he hates me”).

At the end of the movie he looked at me and said “that was such a stupid movie… and I loved every minute of it.” Word-of-mouth at my screening was very strong, and the theatre was packed. I enjoyed it enough (probably 6/10 which was better than I expected).

I could honestly see this having decent enough legs. The fact that expectations were probably SO low will likely contribute to WOM (and another piece of evidence that expectations certainly contribute to WOM).

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Past lives in 10th place with just 26 theaters, when was the last time something in that few theaters made it into the top 10?

Last July Marcel finished in 11th in just 22 locations (2nd week), before climbing to 8th the following weekend in only 46 theaters

Before that, EEAAO was 9th in just 38 locations for its week 2 expansion

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Random films like Coco, Aquaman and Venom have connected with Chinese audiences and exploded. Don't see why that wouldn't be the case going forward as well.

Really a pity John Wick 4 is R rated and not shown in China with a Superstar like Donnie Yen as co-lead. The view counts I am seeing on China streaming / piracy sites / weibo since its digital release... is outstanding. Even the trailer was trending on Weibo when first released. Could have easily done USD150 - 200m in China if there was a theatrical release back in March.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Watched Transformers last night. Dragged my friend to it, who really REALLY didn’t want to go (to the point where I texted a mutual friend before the show saying “lol I dragged Jacob to Transformers I think he hates me”).

At the end of the movie he looked at me and said “that was such a stupid movie… and I loved every minute of it.” Word-of-mouth at my screening was very strong, and the theatre was packed. I enjoyed it enough (probably 6/10 which was better than I expected).

I could honestly see this having decent enough legs. The fact that expectations were probably SO low will likely contribute to WOM (and another piece of evidence that expectations certainly contribute to WOM).

My baseline is that it will leg out similar to a Jurassic film (more FK), with not great holds but decent enough, finishes north of $160M if not $170M

• Like 1

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

This weekend was surprisingly healthy and not a trainwreck. Is the BO back to pre-pandemic normal now that there is a consistent flow of enjoyable movies opening in theatres? 

I don't think it can ever get back to "pre-pandemic normal". It may however be as close to that as it's going to get. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Past lives in 10th place with just 26 theaters, when was the last time something in that few theaters made it into the top 10?

MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON (June - July, 2022)

#13 / $159,403 / 6 theaters / first weekend

#11 / $262,022 / 22 theaters / second weekend

#08 / $322,167 / 48 theaters / third weekend

BEAU IS AFRAID (April 2023)

#15 / $320,396 / 4 theaters / first weekend

5 minutes ago, XXRptimus Primal said:

I don't think it can ever get back to "pre-pandemic normal". It may however be as close to that as it's going to get. 

This isn't the best summer to judge the potential for box office.

90% of the releases had a 350m or 250m ceiling.