Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

3 movies below 1M in the top 10. There is a massive problem with depth going on right now. Dramas and comedies not connecting at all is very concerning. Air only did a measly 50M. A Man Called Otto struggled to hit 60M. No Hard Feelings will be lucky to do the same.

Dramas not connecting the way they used to is concerning I get, but at least in my memory comedy has been struggling hard for a while. I remember most of the ones in the 2010s bombing.

In regards to the new Transformers movie and how much it needs to make to break even, there are definitely examples of other movies in a well established franchise that barely broke even and were granted gigantic budgets and not only got sequels, those sequels went on to make huge money.

Remember when Batman begins cost $150 million dollars and ended up making about $350 million dollars worldwide? And the same thing when Star Trek was rebooted with Abrams and Chris pine. I know Transformers is not exactly rebooting it the way Batman begins did and that version of Star Trek, but at the same time they moved away from Michael Bay's Transformers and maybe they're not overly concerned with making a huge profit right now.

As @Gopher said, there's a litany of ancillary earnings films end up making that we'll never know about. And if this movie is well received and fans obviously enjoy it then it's kind of like the saying, "past is prologue". This is just laying the groundwork maybe for future Transformers films that could see a resurgence and interest from the public because this one is received so well.

I think all of us here have a better than average understanding of how the box office works, better than the average person. But when it comes down to it there's still so much we don't know about. I don't think these films would be given these enormous budgets if they were just strictly relying on theatrical.

So I guess just to reiterate what gopher saying, maybe we all need to lighten up and have a bit more fun LOL.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

On the topic of No Hard Feelings I do think that film is being underestimated. Jen Lawrence isn’t appearing everywhere like she did from 2012-2018 which will make her movies seem like more of an event, plus the trailer got a ton of buzz.

that said, I have concerns that the lack of talk show promotion could hurt it a bit since that’s pretty crucial for comedies. Hoping for at least $20M opening.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Bumblebee takes place in the late 80's. ROTB continues in the early 90's.

Both pre-date the Bayformer films.

I haven't seen ROTB, but is there anything that connects these two movies at all? Characters (outside of Bumblebee, who has no character), storyline, themes? Anything?

Is a reboot a sequel? I would say no.

1 minute ago, KGPatt2 said:

I haven't seen ROTB, but is there anything that connects these two movies at all? Characters (outside of Bumblebee, who has no character), storyline, themes? Anything?

Is a reboot a sequel? I would say no.

They mention the events of Bumblebee.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

just realized it’s basically the ten year anniversary of the time I got @CoolioD1 banned for cracking a joke about now you see me 1 that ended up being the actual ending of the movie lmao

Now You See Me, that was quite the movie. Maybe I should rewatch that tonight.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:29 AM, WorkingonaName said:

Why are Hispanic's not counted as Caucasians? 

Because we’re not, unless forced to identify as such by the government. Identifying as White robs us of our Native American heritage (and African depending on the country). 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, baumer said:

In regards to the new Transformers movie and how much it needs to make to break even, there are definitely examples of other movies in a well established franchise that barely broke even and were granted gigantic budgets and not only got sequels, those sequels went on to make huge money.

Remember when Batman begins cost $150 million dollars and ended up making about $350 million dollars worldwide? And the same thing when Star Trek was rebooted with Abrams and Chris pine. I know Transformers is not exactly rebooting it the way Batman begins did and that version of Star Trek, but at the same time they moved away from Michael Bay's Transformers and maybe they're not overly concerned with making a huge profit right now.

As @Gopher said, there's a litany of ancillary earnings films end up making that we'll never know about. And if this movie is well received and fans obviously enjoy it then it's kind of like the saying, "past is prologue". This is just laying the groundwork maybe for future Transformers films that could see a resurgence and interest from the public because this one is received so well.

I think all of us here have a better than average understanding of how the box office works, better than the average person. But when it comes down to it there's still so much we don't know about. I don't think these films would be given these enormous budgets if they were just strictly relying on theatrical.

So I guess just to reiterate what gopher saying, maybe we all need to lighten up and have a bit more fun LOL.

This post put a smile on my face.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DTP said:

I'm surprised Madagascar hasn't gotten a proper sequel in over a decade.  I liked those movies.

There was gonna be a Madagascar 4 but after Katzenberg left DreamWorks and then the studio was purchased by NBCUniversal in 2017, plans for a new movie where dropped.

Personally, I kinda love that they stopped at 3. They got back to NY, saved the animals at the Central Park Zoo and then they joined the Afro Circus. It's a good ending for the franchise and I like when franchises end on a high note and leave it alone. Something that sadly don't happen often in Hollywood.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kon said:

Do you think TLM has locked 550 M worldwide?

It lacks a goos amount for that number, but the legs seem to be pretty decent.

It still has a chance. It really depends on how it will hold against THE FLASH and ELEMENTAL this coming weekend.

Love how many people will make wild box office guesses and not fess up to being wrong.

"GoTG 3 will do under 300 million domestically"-Said after its OW, hasn't owned up to being wrong

"RoTB won't pass 200 million worldwide"-Said a few weeks back, dude's just vanished after all his big talk

"The Little Mermaid will be another Solo and drop 65%"-Said during its near-100 million OW, its passed Solo both Domestically and Worldwide this weekend, also hasn't been acknowledged as wrong. Amazing.

To counteract this and not be a hypocrite, thinking Across The Spider-Verse would only do 60 million pre-presales is the dumbest prediction I've made on here and I was also too pessimistic on Rise of The Beasts. Would love others to do this more.

Edited by Mulder

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Love how many people will make wild box office guesses and not fess up to being wrong.

"GoTG 3 will do under 300 million"-Said after its OW, hasn't owned up to being wrong

"RoTB won't pass 200 million worldwide"-Said a few weeks back, dude's just vanished after all his big talk

"The Little Mermaid will be another Solo and drop 65%"-Said during its near-100 million OW, its passed Solo both Domestically and Worldwide this weekend, also hasn't been acknowledged as wrong. Amazing.

To counteract this and not be a hypocrite, thinking Across The Spider-Verse would only do 60 million pre-presales is the dumbest prediction I've made on here and I was also too pessimistic on Rise of The Beasts. Would love others to do this more.

I don't want my Elemental club to be wrong but all evidence points to it being extremely wrong

Hope I'm not wrong about Wish and Elio though.

• Like 3