Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

5 minutes ago, Rageofthegods said:

Zaslav has had some good ideas in his run (he's basically left HBO alone, I don't think he's diluted the brand, plus he's a fan of theatrical) but overall I agree with @Cmasterclay that he's just not been a very good CEO. Unsettling the creative community with the Batgirl cuts without giving anyone a phone call, foisting an albatross on De Luca with the De Niro mobster movie to impress his Hamptons friends, hyping up the Flash to unrealistic levels so that "pretty good" reviews ended up disappointing, riding CNN down to historic lows in ratings and relevance through an ill-conceived pivot-to-the-middle, these were all completely unforced errors that ended up damaging some key part of their business, to say nothing of the times when him or his team just embarrasses the company (e.g. Max "creator" credits). And while I didn't love the name HBO Max, I'm really not convinced of the logic of making another confusing rebrand just a few years after launch. It's not great that after a week, only 70% of people signed up. 

He's a financial wizard but he's not a content or branding or vision guy. His brightest idea is, what, a ten year reboot of Harry Potter? And when WBD is finally sold for scraps to another company, the best we can hope for is that he'll take his big sack of cash and ride off into the sunset. 

The big CNN story in the Atlantic made a good point about both Licht and Zaslav. It's theoretically fine to be a disruptor. But cultural and economic changes only matter so much, you need to have ideas for content. Ultimately, CNN's big bright idea was a morning show with Don Lemon and about nothing else. As you said, the main idea for content in entertainment has been Harry Potter and the already flailing DC reboot. Where's the bright ideas if this guy is such a genius?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Where is this optimism for The Marvels coming from??

Ant Man 3 trailer atleast got people talking about it. The Marvels trailer was just there. If you aren't a hardcore MCU fan , you won't understand anything that's happening there.

It should have been Captain Marvel 2 not The Marvels , a big missed opportunity and marketing fail

Marvels has less views then the FNAF trailer. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think that's true at all.  HBO is still HBO. It's still the king of Sunday nights. It's still the home of premium TV whether that was House of the Dragon,  The Last of Us,  Succession,  and I think he knows that.   So what if 'The Idol' isn't good.  It's not damaging the HBO brand and honestly, the Discovery integration into the Max app hasn't really changed much.  HBO is still front and center on the app.  

Succession just has a bunch of Tweets. It is nowhere near a phenomenon or dominating Sunday nights. The Real Housewives of wherever gets higher ratings                  

Edited by PenguinHyphy

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

The Supergirl there isn’t the Supergirl from the show nor does it have any relevance to the plot. Get a better bit.

Then it's even more difficult to understand her. In case of The Marvels atleast those who have watched Ms. Marvel or know who Ms. Marvel is can easily understand it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LVB said:

Kamala's existence can be explained through two minutes of exposition. It's not that deep.

I dunno, I’m concerned that civil war might flop because a lot of people didn’t watch ant-man and will be confused by Ant-man appearing

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

You're not interested in The Marvels because you're not interested in Captain Marvel. Just like a lot of people are not watching The Flash because they aren't interested in the Flash character. No one would say that I'm not watching The Flash because I don't know who Supergirl is and how her power works.

I mean I'm not interested in The Flash because Ezra Miller is a piece of shit and Zaslav did his damnest to twist everything about the movie and to just blatantly ignore what it's star did.

I also don't care for The Marvels because Captain Marvel was a meh film and The Marvels just looks very generic.

11 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

Very dependent on quality, and movies having as yet un revealed “hook” elements, so very wide plausible range. Being  somewhat hopeful let’s say:

Marvels 110-> 290

DP3 200->470

Cap4 100 -> 270

Thunderbolts 85 -> 260

If no hook then what?

Call me crazy, but I have a prediction Warners might move Joker 2 to this year if it tests well enough (they might test the initial cut by the end of summer) to improve this year's result after The Flash, Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle bombing. They know very well Aquaman 2 is another dead man walking, they can move it again to February and give December to Joker. I wouldn't be suprised if that happens, they are in a terrible situation.

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

Call me crazy, but I have a prediction Warners might move Joker 2 to this year if it tests well enough (they might test the initial cut by the end of summer) to improve this year's result after The Flash, Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle bombing. They know very well Aquaman 2 is another dead man walking, they can move it again to February and give December to Joker. I wouldn't be suprised if that happens, they are in a terrible situation.

Nah.

There pushing Dune this Oscar season.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The big CNN story in the Atlantic made a good point about both Licht and Zaslav. It's theoretically fine to be a disruptor. But cultural and economic changes only matter so much, you need to have ideas for content. Ultimately, CNN's big bright idea was a morning show with Don Lemon and about nothing else. As you said, the main idea for content in entertainment has been Harry Potter and the already flailing DC reboot. Where's the bright ideas if this guy is such a genius?

What a terrible idea though and it's not original at all. No one wants a reboot of Harry Potter and who is it for? The generations that are growing up knowing the author is a massive bigot and won't shut her mouth 

Furthermore I think News stations just need to be done away with in general. Who exactly watches the news anymore except for the Boomers? Majority of the generations get their news straight from social media as it's breaking and form their own opinions based on what they see.  They don't need to watch some station where some peon is paid to try to manipulate the viewer into thinking what he thinks or trying a scare tactic which is infamous of FOX to manipulate their viewers which are for the most part the Boomer generation.

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

why would aquaman 2 flop?

Last one was a massive hit and Jason Mamoa is likeable.