Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

With that OW and with a very realistic chance that Flash could have a poor Saturday jump and go sub 50m OW, that Elemental overtakes it domestically.

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Gunn really has no choice but to fire Muschetti. Like… come on. This is a career ending flop.

The DCEU was dead before this movie came out. This just goes to show no one has interest in this universe anymore. Gunn should stick to his guns and keep Muschietti. 

• Like 1

There's a legit possibility that The Flash makes less than movies like Elvis, Creed III, and Puss in Boots 2 (to name some surprisingly big blockbusters over the past year). I'd say it almost feels painful to see these DC performances recently, but the universe is on track to be completely rebooted anyway.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Gunn really has no choice but to fire Muschetti. Like… come on. This is a career ending flop.

. Obviously, the quality of the movie plays a factor. But I think that The Flash was facing an existential crisis, regardless of if it really was “the best comic book movie ever.”

The biggest problem with The Flash is it doesn’t matter. It’s a moot point. 

They already announced a new DC films timeline/regime. So there’s no reason to watch this one, because they’re just going to redo it sooner rather than later. It’s like a new Netflix series. I don’t care how good it is, it’s just gonna get canceled after the first season, so why am I gonna invest my time in it?

Aaand, We can discuss how “too online” we are, but the Ezra thing definitely refused to go away. 

• Like 6

Just now, Cap said:

Aaand, We can discuss how “too online” we are, but the Ezra thing definitely refused to go away. 

I do think that did play a bigger part than expected, though not in the ways most folks think it did. For such a heavily touted and expensive movie, where were all the promotional deals that these blockbusters always have (heck, WB themselves is already gearing up for a whole bunch of product launches to tie in with Barbie)? I have to imagine Ezra's antics ended up costing them a whole bunch of sponsors that would really get awareness out for this movie.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ross612 said:

The DCEU was dead before this movie came out. This just goes to show no one has interest in this universe anymore. Gunn should stick to his guns and keep Muschietti. 

The bad legs can absolutely be blamed on Muschietti though. 

I'd get this bizarre instinct to defend Muschietti if we were talking about a critical and audience darling with The Flash, but we aren't. We are talking about a film that's at best receiving middling reactions from the GA. At worst? Same level as Quantumania. And a meh critic score to pair it up. These are not the signs of a great or reliable director that you just have to keep regardless of an embarrassing flop like this. 

Gunn should 100% get rid of him. There's zero reason to believe the same won't happen again. Too big a risk for too small a benefit.

Edited by 21C
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1