Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

7 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

You know would be perfect for Batman Brave and the bold

christopher-mcquarrie-seems-open-to-talk

Joseph Kosinski is another one they shoud call. Him + Gunn would probably make an insane crowdpleaser.

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

I won’t beating the dead horse when it comes to box office, but I’ll talk about Muschietti 

I think this “it’s a flop he needs to be fired from upcoming projects” argument to be very anti-art. The Flash is in it’s core a studio movie, they’re planning this with multiple people for a decade now, there’s pieces from all this process in the final movie. 

This is not an Andy Muschietti passion project, he’s just a tool for Warner, he didn’t even write it, he’s just following executives plans. 

And he did deliver a generally well received movie despite being one of the most chaotic hollywood projects of the century. If it’s not clicking with audiences or making huge money is hardly something in his control … there’s an obvious fatigue where even excellent movies are fighting to do numbers that a few years ago mediocre movies would do easily, there’s strong problems and backlash involving the lead, there’s DC brand struggling overall, the awful WB marketing that created a gigantic pressure for the movie to be revolutionary that backfire on them and became a punchline on social media etc. 

There’s no reason to think his next project in a new direction and rebranded DC will deal with the same chaos for him to be fired immediately. We’ve seen him working with smooth productions before and they went well critically and commercially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

I care. I want original animated movies from other studios to do great.

Yeah rooting for it to do well too. I want original animation to do well in general. It's sad Dreamworks newest original got sent to Netflix the other day.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I won’t beating the dead horse when it comes to box office, but I’ll talk about Muschietti 

I think this “it’s a flop he needs to be fired from upcoming projects” argument to be very anti-art. The Flash is in it’s core a studio movie, they’re planning this with multiple people for a decade now, there’s pieces from all this process in the final movie. 

This is not an Andy Muschietti passion project, he’s just a tool for Warner, he didn’t even write it, he’s just following executives plans. 

And he did deliver a generally well received movie despite being one of the most chaotic hollywood projects of the century. If it’s not clicking with audiences or making huge money is hardly something in his control … there’s an obvious fatigue where even excellent movies are fighting to do numbers that a few years ago mediocre movies would do easily, there’s strong problems and backlash involving the lead, there’s DC brand struggling overall, the awful WB marketing that created a gigantic pressure for the movie to be revolutionary that backfire on them and became a punchline on social media etc. 

There’s no reason to think his next project in a new direction and rebranded DC will deal with the same chaos for him to be fired immediately. We’ve seen him working with smooth productions before and they went well critically and commercially.

This pretty much. Don't know why some can't just trust Gunn on this if you actually trust him with Superman: Beyond. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think this “it’s a flop he needs to be fired from upcoming projects” argument to be very anti-art

Again, this would make sense if Muschietti was an auteur or even just someone who was respected in the indie world.

But what? Lol. Anti-art? To say that he shouldn’t direct a Batman movie because his other big superhero movie is bad and is bombing big time? Come on.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do think that did play a bigger part than expected, though not in the ways most folks think it did. For such a heavily touted and expensive movie, where were all the promotional deals that these blockbusters always have (heck, WB themselves is already gearing up for a whole bunch of product launches to tie in with Barbie)? I have to imagine Ezra's antics ended up costing them a whole bunch of sponsors that would really get awareness out for this movie.

weird gender splits are leaning more for the other hypothesis (though they're hardly an either/or thing). 

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The critical reception is ok at best and poor with top critics + the post trak is atrocious

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Man I just have to disagree with you. Frankly I think it's even more anti-art to keep a dude as director for one of the biggest franchises DC has just because "well he's been a good and loyal employee". And you can make about a hundred arguments about "oh but he didn't come up with this" and all that but... he was the director, man.

No one worked more on The Flash than he did, and as such, it's only fair to signal that at least a good chunk of the responsibility for the final results of the movie do 100% fall on him, especially when there are technical aspects of the film (the CGI) that have been largely lambasted by audiences and critics and that are probably playing a factor in the bad reception of it. 

If the movie was a hit, or if it at least showed great signs of legs and audience reception, I think everyone would be comfortable giving him credit for that; so now that it's the other way around, why make excuses for him? If he's set to get credit if it does good, then he's set to share the blame if it does bad.

It's not like anyone's saying "He shouldn't work on anything ever again", it's just that he shouldn't be given the keys to another 200 million dollar blockbuster starring WB's most valuable IP. That's all there is. Because also, it's not like Brave and the Bold is just an easy project handed to him on a silver plater either, it'll have many many challenges to overcome, and there's no reason right now to believe Muschietti would be the guy to overcome them all. 

He did well in mid-budget horror? Ok, give him more mid-budget horror. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I can’t believe there were actually NWH and Top Gun  Maverick comparisons to the Flash 

if it was really one the greatest superhero movies of all then and reviews reflected that then why not, in a smaller scale of course

In theory, a $130-140M total (where I guess it's headed) for this movie wouldn't be that bad all things considered (Ezra becoming persona non grata, the universe about to be rebooted, this entire project just coming across as 5 years too late). But the studio's relentless overhyping is just going to make these numbers look much worse.

Checks in on weekend thread …

28 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

I’ll open an onlyfans so people can see me getting double peneatrated

hide GIF

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

Uhhh… did he though?

I was talking about the RT score, should say it more clearly. 

Audience scores is definitely bad, but i do think the many problems around it can have some impact in how audiences perceive a movie. For example, if someone goes to a theater expecting to watch a top tier CBM is easy to give it a mid grade when the expectation don’t materialize.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

Yeah rooting for it to do well too. I want original animation to do well in general. It's sad Dreamworks newest original got sent to Netflix the other day.

Orion and the Dark? Oh no.

Comcast really don't know how to handle this studio.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

He’s Argentinian, for US (and Hollywood) he’s not a white man 

I wasn't aware. My apologies. I didn't know he was Argentinian

• Like 1