Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

I'm honestly not sure how much all the Ezra controversy has factored into it. Let's face it, people are more than willing to see movies starring actors with dubious personal lives. Cruise's attachment to scientology, and everything that goes with it (sexual and physical abuse the most heinous) has never seemed to affect his box office.

I maintain the absolute biggest factor in Flash's demise is the fact the audience hates the DCEU. Absolutely hates it.

I think one part of why it might be getting rejected is that even if you ignore Ezra’s offscreen antics, their take on Barry just wasn’t particularly well liked in the first place. In both versions of Justice League I found the character to be extremely grating, so signing up for 2+ hours of that just isn’t appealing. Add that to the fact that most people’s prior exposure to the character was in a piss poor Justice League film nearly 6 years ago, and it’s easy to see why people might not be flocking to this.

• Like 3

Just now, FunkMiller said:

Every DCEU movie for years has flopped. Non DCEU stuff has succeeded.

I assure you none of the general audience knew (or would've cared) that Joker and The Batman were 'non-DCEU'. If we look back the earliest DCEU box office flop was Birds of Prey. WW84 & TSS can't be considered because of day & date. Black Adam had a decent OW but bad legs thanks to reception. Shazam 2 and Flash are the first real flat out massive bombs. That's 3 films who flopped out of the gate, and a fourth which was doomed by its bad legs. That's not enough to establish causation especially when Shazam 2 and Flash could've been hurt by other factors. You evidently dislike the DCEU which is fine, but you don't represent the general audience.

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I mean this film is getting good reviews here in Asia though

Bur even with the good reviews it isn't making much money in Asia,

It's total take in China is going to be less then TF's opening weekend.

In South Korea, Elemental is already outperforming it according to that thread.

It's really disappointing to see.

The B Cinemascore is just atrocious. Basically a rejection by the general audiences. Obviously some of the fanboys really loved it, but not much of anybody else. 

I thought AM:Q was going to be the nadir for CBM's this year, but I was wrong. 

This movie is likely to be a significant money loser for WB. The way this is trending they may not even make back their marketing costs, much less their production budget. They spent a ton of money on marketing, and because of Ezra got almost no marketing from corporate partners.

3 minutes ago, JpTransformers said:

Holy shit a 125 million opening worldwide weekend? That's atrocious. This thing might genuinely miss 400.

Edited by Mulder

They clearly don't like it either.

You have no evidence of this and quite frankly it's funny that you really think the general audiences know the difference.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

You have no evidence of this and quite frankly it's funny that you really think the general audiences know the difference.

Well, I have evidence that the audience likes non DCEU stuff from the box office. And I think it's pretty clear that things like The Batman and Joker weren't DCEU. Not sure how you can maintain a position that the DCEU is liked, given every single box office we can look at in recent years. But hey, if you think different, then I doubt anything I say can change your mind. 

• Like 3

Well, I have evidence that the audience likes non DCEU stuff from the box office. And I think it's pretty clear that things like The Batman and Joker weren't DCEU. Not sure how you can maintain a position that the DCEU is liked, given every single box office we can look at in recent years. But hey, if you think different, then I doubt anything I say can change your mind. 

'In recent years' means literally only three and 2023 has different circumstances. You also can't prove that general audiences knew Joker and The Batman were unique non-DCEU films. It's just an absolutely asinine reason to propose over Ezra Miller's much publicized constantly in the news antics which were heavily discussed on social media. (And yes I know there's other actors who have done shitty stuff, but Tom Cruise's scientology stuff has become a joke not something people are actually mad at him for).

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Holy shit a 125 million opening worldwide weekend? That's atrocious. This thing might genuinely miss 400.

Wait you still thought 400. Depending on next weekend this can go sub 300m.

Asia where reception is good are very front loaded markets. 

• Like 2

I know it's all doom and gloom now at the box office, and it will probably continue with Indiana Jones underperforming, but I think Mission Impossible, Barbie and Oppenheimer can do quite well in July with all three matching or exceeding expectations. 

I'm also not that pessimistic about the rest of the year. I think November looks like the best month that's left (minus July) and December, although much weaker than previous years, it will have some decent numbers for Wonka (+$175m), Aquaman 2 (+$200m) and Migration (+$150m).

I am expecting Aquaman 2 to significantly drop from the first but I still think it will crawl past 200m DOM and 600m WW with holidays.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

I'm honestly not sure how much all the Ezra controversy has factored into it. Let's face it, people are more than willing to see movies starring actors with dubious personal lives. Cruise's attachment to scientology, and everything that goes with it (sexual and physical abuse the most heinous) has never seemed to affect his box office.

I maintain the absolute biggest factor in Flash's demise is the fact the audience hates the DCEU. Absolutely hates it.

I don't think GA have strong feelings about franchises like that. My assumption is that GA do not "hate" the DCEU, they just couldn't really care less. Its not a brand that will get butts in seats by itself

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

'In recent years' means literally only three and 2023 has different circumstances. You also can't prove that general audiences knew Joker and The Batman were unique non-DCEU films. It's just an absolutely asinine reason to propose over Ezra Miller's much publicized constantly in the news antics which were heavily discussed on social media. (And yes I know there's other actors who have done shitty stuff, but Tom Cruise's scientology stuff has become a joke not something people are actually mad at him for).

I mean, it was fairly obvious from the absolute get go that neither of them were DCEU films, from every single trailer, advert and promotional piece of material both films had. Not least the fact that The Batman has a completely different Batman from the DCEU Batman, who was still appearing in DCEU films. I know the audience can be a bit stupid, but not that stupid.

Let's face it, the DCEU was a bust from the beginning, other than a couple of exceptions that sold themselves as stand alone projects more than anything. The fact WB listened too much to a small minority who disagree with that, is part of the reason why they're in such a hole today.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

No legs can save either Flash (not that it will get any legs anyways) or Elemental from flopping. Flash has a worldwide OW of like 110-140m, even with 3x legs would get to at most 400m (but not happening as I said given B CS) which is still a huge flop.

Elemental has worldwide OW of like 50-70m, even with 4x legs off the high end it would still only get to under 300m worldwide but it's probably not gonna get to that, maybe even only half of that if legs aren't superb. 2 bombs for the ages in one weekend. Wild stuff.

I think tbh Elemental can still do 300m. Not all the territories are open, in fact in opens away from The Flash in Europe to like early to mid audience and wom seems good enough for it.