Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

With that Flash number I'm going to say it's down in the high 50s for the weekend,  maybe $57M.   So there's no real reason to focus on legs at this point,  the movie is DOA.   

Like I said, I think the reboot is putting these in an early grave. 

2 minutes ago, John2015 said:

Empire City has some good news on "Blue Beetle".   Looks like it won't be a bomb like "The Flash"

I love BB as a character, but that one needs a strong promotion at Comic Con and real good WoM if they want to avoid Shazam numbers.

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The main thing going for her is she's apparently barely in the movie anyway so the guilt trip is harder.

Not even that, tbh. One is accused of serial abuse against a sizable number of women and children. Other is, well, Amber Heard. Former Depp wife. Regardless how televised their trial is, I don’t see how it affects Aquaman 2. I think the worst thing about Aquaman 2 besides the ‘death’ of the DCEU is actually timing. It’s been too long, the film was delayed what, for 2 years. It isn’t a beloved franchise that kept a following like Guardians or Spider-Verse this year. I suppose it could work, but not sure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John2015 said:

Empire City has some good news on "Blue Beetle".   Looks like it won't be a bomb like "The Flash"

After The Flash received "NWH level feedback" from twst audiences, I'm bit trusting this Blue Beetle stuff at all.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

LAWD these Asteroid City numbers. It's going to opening within 70-80% of French Dispatch's OW despite nearly 50 fewer theaters. My audience last night enjoyed it, so WOM will hopefully be strong enough leading into wide next weekend.

At least one of the Asteroid City locations in LA is selling a "premium experience" with $50 tickets. Most showtimes are for typical rates, however.

Also, Fandango shows tickets available in 8 theaters between New York and Los Angeles this weekend:

Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Alamo Draft house Downtown Brooklyn

AMC Lincoln Square 13

Landmark Theatres Sunset

AMC Century City 15

AMC Burbank 16

AMC Burbank Town Center 8

AMC Burbank Town Center 6

Why so many AMCs in Burbank?

The cinemascore is somehow more shocking than how far the OW range has fallen.  The movie wasn't really good but it wasn't anywhere as bad a Black Adam or as boring as Shazam. This being at the end of a string of flops that no one even liked that much certainly played it's part to how much it's being rejected right now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, M37 said:

Following up on this, I mentioned in the tracking thread the other day that the sales pattern for Flash - both in overall trajectory and additional nuance in a local spot check - was a little weird, and I had a theory as to what was happening “under the hood”. Namely, that while the fans were still buying early and walk-ups were fine to good, a chunk of the typical middle ground audience - frequent but not really fans - one would expect for a release like this was somewhat missing, likely due to some combination of Erza’a issues and the impending DC reboot 

The fact that at least half of the reviews mentioned those issue in some form may have helped turn off as many people - largely women - as the overall decent RT score may have drawn GA folks in off the fence, at least for Thursday. But then the heavily skewed male/fan heavy audience were not impressed, and poor WOM dragged down potential even further from an already limited audience pool 

after diving a bit deeper: I want to walk a little back off this ledge. The big problem is that we still only have Thursday data and OD is a sausage factory. 

I pulled The Force Awakens' preview, OD and 14 day demo data for comparison.

Two separate sources (___ and posttrak) had TFA's previews at 71/72% male skewing but by Friday it had dropped to 64% in postrak and 70% in the other. At the end of the weekend, the other source source estimated 68% overall male skew.  Across 2 weeks the more male skewing one thought it was 64% male skewing and posttrak thought it was 58% male. 

This is still going to be very male skewing but if we get total weekend demo data it could look less crazy.