Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

I know it's off-topic but Netflix are  running a huge livestream right now to debut a bunch of shows that have currently not been written.

Edit: and a Turkish reboot of Riverdale for some reason.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

BvS - 373 pages

That was maybe the most fun I have had following the box office. What a weekend. r/boxoffice felt like the fall of saigon. Anyone remember the freaking Doritos argument?

21 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Both will lose like a $100M+ but we might have the king of flops in the next couple of weeks with Indiana Jones 5 if that $60M projection turns out to be true.

Ummm, that is what I've been predicting...especially since that budget is $290M, which is $70-$90M higher than $200M and $220M...

Of course, we might match this weekend at higher levels b/c Ruby could also go much lower than Elemental...although no budget released there, so maybe the loss just can't be bigger for that movie vs Elemental...

I'm not doing any predicting on Ruby except to say single midsize screens, even at 24-30 screen theaters, is not the path to making any money...that said, after this weekend, maybe more screens will be available than previously expected...

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

That Saturday number if it sticks is sooo bad. But luckily for the Flash, Fathers day and Monday being a semi holiday precludes it from dropping into the 40's range for OW. 

True, I'm not expecting strong Sunday either since it has yet to show any kind of staying power.

24.5M

15.5M

14M

54M OW

6 hours ago, Joel M said:

The cinemascore is somehow more shocking than how far the OW range has fallen.  The movie wasn't really good but it wasn't anywhere as bad a Black Adam or as boring as Shazam. This being at the end of a string of flops that no one even liked that much certainly played it's part to how much it's being rejected right now.

CS is fake news. being serious 

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

basketball fall GIF

a true GOAT gif

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Honestly a high-$50M opening wouldn't be that bad if not for the fact it got a kiss of death CS grade that ensures it won't be around much longer. Guardians 3 has proven it's possible for a comic book movie to rebound after a softer than expected launch. Just a total miscalculation on the WB's part.

not a believer in that cs

5 hours ago, LVB said:

I support Amber Heard. 

right to speak, sure

4 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Ain’t It Cool News really was the genesis for modern nerd culture bs.

killed ratners superman

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Seeing Jurassic world opening weekend is a core memory. 

"I DONT WANNA WAIT ANYMORE!"

*John Williams Jurassic Park theme explodes*

*tears*

2 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

Lex Luthor please.

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. Super fun movie. Still some of the best art direction, set design, creature design, visual effects. Awesome score. Awesome action. It's a convoluted mess of a story but Gore goes full Gore with it. I like World's End too.

KRAKEN is an unreal scene still

50 minutes ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

Damn. Going back through the old, monster weekend threads is a trip down memory lane. I don't know if anything can ever top the hype on this forum from the start of Endgame presales (anyone remember Gavin's chart in the China thread, or Deep Wang's gifs?) through the Monday after OW. Best box office period ever.....

:whosad:

TDK threads everywhere were best. The film was mind-blowing good and then obliterated every expectation and record. After the horrific ledger tragedy, this may be the best weekend for film internet ever. 

48 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think we can all agree that Jurassic World had the best weekend thread of all time. Those numbers going up and up and up throughout the day/evening Friday was legendary. 

June 12, 2015. No day on BOT has topped it since. 

Excel knew it was coming, too

Outlier runs are always exciting. Since 1999, so many good ones - Spider-man, The Dark Knight, Avengers, etc. Huge letdowns are a different beast. BvS wasn't just insanely hyped and marketed, but everyone knew it was supposed to lead to much more and that Justice League was already shooting. It was Matrix Reloaded situation but on steroids. BvS was the single biggest piece of marketing for Justice League and it was just not a good film, and the public really piled on to it. It felt borderline cruel tbh. 

First true giant letdown that I followed was 2001s Pearl Harbor. Back then, "forums" were moreso comment sections on sites like AICN. The marketing was absolutely incredible and the media push was just enormous, very few modern films compare to the level of media saturation that film experienced. Industry personnel were openly predicting $100m opening weekend numbers, thinking it would easily top the $72m opening weekend record held by LOST WORLD. It had 4th biggest opening weekend ever and 2nd largest Memorial Day, but the numbers would be been a bit higher if not for showtime limitations. This movie opened pre social media and mass cell phones so texting was not a big thing - its remarkable how quickly WOM spread that it was a quality disaster. Snarky web film snobs moved into "Its Michael Bay, I told you so" mode SO FAST after the reviews were dropped. We were all expecting $100m opener/$300m+ domestic total and easy summer champ. Instead it was beaten soundly by SHREK. 

Both lead by Mr. Ben Affleck

:sadfleck:

and directed by guys better served as action nd visual effects supervisors!

Since I see posters are mentioning a possible DC role for Tom Cruise, I'm gonna disagree on casting him as Lex.  He's just not right there.

Instead, I'd rather see him as Calendar Man or Kite Man - or Eclipso if he's the big bad (the smiles just match so well).

I personally would love a Kite Man who would do crazy-a$$ stunts that would make him seem like a real threat to Batman and other heroes...the possible real effects would be priceless!

PS - Just like Ultimate Spidey has redeemed the Spot, I think this could be Kite Man's time for the big time:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

YIKES

This is what I expected sooner, honestly - I think it's not enough of a discount, but it's a start...BOGO was a minimum for this to get traction, although maybe Father's Day is the exception...

I expect Ruby to do this soon...Disney NEVER price pushes, at least not generically wide (like a TMobile deal or a straight Fandango/Atom deal), so I would not expect to see it for Elemental or Indy...if Disney gives a deal, it's normally just to the pre-existing Disney fanbase...

Edited by TwoMisfits

James Gunn has the fate of the universe in his hands. 

Predictions for Superman: Legacy

- Earth Mother Dead, Absent Father

- Lots of Daddy Issues

- Aggressive Lois Lane who yells a lot

- lots of 80s/90s alt rock music for emotional beats and montages

Anything Else? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Blah blah blah. It ain't making a billion. Even Guardians 3 didn't make a billion. Making a billion is very rare now and I'm doubtful anyone was passionate enough about Aquaman 1 for that to happen again. Unless if Aquaman 2 is the equivalent of Avatar in VFX terms it's absolutely not happening.

Why would you move Dune 2 to Aquaman 2 spot when the latters first film made almost 3x what the formers first film did. Doesn’t make any business sense.

Also Aquaman 2 was on Fandangos Top 10 most anticipated 2023 releases, Flash was not. That list has some merit to it