Eric S'ennui

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Terrible for FLASH and ELEMENTAL. Expected big drop for TF. Very good for SPIDEY, what an amazing run.

We can put the TLM legs debate to bed and those claiming it's doing great can go to sleep, play time is over. Hard to see it breaking even now worldwide. It needed domestic to hold strong. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Review bombing doesn't affect Box Office no matter how hard Braindeadline try to convince people. Captain Marvel making a billion should have ended this argument.

First of all, there is no way to make that counterfactual... Maybe Captain Marvel was fine because the MCU was almost untouchable at that point, but does that really mean review bombing has no effect? Narratives surrounding movies matter and we've seen the water cooler effect play out a million different ways at the box office. 

Regardless, there is a difference between the direct effect of review bombing and what it represents. What it represents for TLM is added baggage and many people who were turned off by its very existence = lower BO potential (in my view, again its impossible to prove a counterfactual)

I am interested in the extent to which people avoided The Flash on principle. I expected to see far more people on social media discussing his transgressions and boycotting the film. I think WB played it well with not pushing Ezra on to a big press tour (despite what Anthony at deadline might think)

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

We can put the TLM legs debate to bed and those claiming it's doing great can go to sleep, play time is over. Hard to see it breaking even now worldwide. It needed domestic to hold strong. 

I haven't seen anyone claiming it is doing great. That said, it will cross 300m domestic, and that's looking more and more impressive as big IP tentpoles around it continue to flop. DIS's ability to recoup costs on the back end through ancilliaries is unmatched (that's not necessarily a good thing lol), TLM will be fine, I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it.. Gosh I can't believe I'm defending TLM I didn't even like the movie, I just respect BO numbers and "just breaking even" is somehow becoming impressive for tentpole in this dreary world of terrible B.O. numbers

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Didn’t she pass on it because she wanted to do Mad Money.

That was the official story. I mean, it wasn't like anyone was going to say, "Her husband won't let her be away for months without religious minders on set," or, "Nolan is f---ing done with her professionally after her antics promoting Batman Begins."

Mad Money made $26.4 million worldwide, somewhat less than The Dark Knight, but playing the doomed woman in a Nolan movie isn't artistically fulfilling for everyone... Yeah, thats it.

13 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

I haven't seen anyone claiming it is doing great. That said, it will cross 300m domestic, and that's looking more and more impressive as big IP tentpoles around it continue to flop. DIS's ability to recoup costs on the back end through ancilliaries is unmatched (that's not necessarily a good thing lol), TLM will be fine, I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it.. Gosh I can't believe I'm defending TLM I didn't even like the movie, I just respect BO numbers and "just breaking even" is somehow becoming impressive for tentpole in this dreary world of terrible B.O. numbers

Agree. With Fast X, Transformers, The Flash , Elemental and soon Indy5 doing awful nobody is going to be sitting around saying how bad a film that grossed over 300 domestic did just because it had a high budget. 

• Like 1

Checked my Cinemark app just for fun. Flash has six shows left tonight at my theater, 35 tix sold so fear. Their one premium screen (a 3D) is showing Elemental at 9:20, zero seats sold so far. Nine tix sold to two regular Elemental screenings.

Meanwhile, Spiderverse has been moved to the smallest theater. Two shows left, 52 tix sold.

What a fiasco.

• Sad 1

Kind of funny, decided to look at my closest two theaters and while Flash seems like it's overindexing at my local by a bit, not by an insane amount but almost every show's packed, at Garden State however (One of the 10 biggest AMCs in the US) it's a disaster. Barely any seats sold, and it's doing so poorly they've given it barely any showtimes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Checked my Cinemark app just for fun. Flash has six shows left tonight at my theater, 35 tix sold so fear. Their one premium screen (a 3D) is showing Elemental at 9:20, zero seats sold so far. Nine tix sold to two regular Elemental screenings.

Meanwhile, Spiderverse has been moved to the smallest theater. Two shows left, 52 tix sold.

What a fiasco.

#JusticeForATSV

All Hollywood/Western live-action adaptations of Animes have always been and will always be terrible. It is a law of the universe, there's no need to debate it any more than gravity

Edited by Dephira

Between Puss in Boots, Super Mario, Spider Verse, GotG 3, Ant Man, Flash, Fast X and Transformers it has certainly been an exciting year for Box Office watchers, covering the full range of emotions

And there are more near-guaranteed bombs yet to come

Edited by Dephira

I just realized Oppenheimer only has a $100M production budget.  Sign me even further up on that movie will be a big studio win and another "makes money theatrically" movie for the summer...

Edit to Add: Although, damn, he was betting on himself - from Wiki - "Some of Nolan's demands included a production budget of $100 million and an equal marketing budget, a theatrical window of at least 100 days, 20 percent of the film's first-dollar gross, and a three-week period before and after the film's release in which Universal could not release another new film."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1