Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

13 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Also Aquaman 2 was on Fandangos Top 10 most anticipated 2023 releases, Flash was not. That list has some merit to it 

I don’t really think so. The Flash was the third most anticipated film of the summer, and Keaton’s Batman was the most anticipated hero of the summer according to Fandango polls.

Edited by Speedorito

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is the fake movie about the fake history of Cheetos the biggest movie of the weekend? It's the only film this weekend that got Biden's endorsement (just realized that Disney beat WB at their own game)

Fun fact: that movie was ready for nearly two years. The whole story is fabricated, and I’m guessing Disney paid off whoever they needed to pay so they don’t get sued.

32 minutes ago, AJG said:

We are in hell!!!

I don’t care what state DC is in, you don’t send Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 to streaming… all it takes is back to back films hitting streaming to train audiences to wait or expect them on there. Just ask Pixar. 

Release them and recoup as much money as you can. Who knows maybe they’ll break out. Stranger things have happened and DC is unpredictable, plus in the case of Blue Beetle, it’s break even point is so low that it’s worth the risk 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Both will lose like a $100M+ but we might have the king of flops in the next couple of weeks with Indiana Jones 5 if that $60M projection turns out to be true.

Even if it makes uo to a 100 it's gonna be ugly

6 minutes ago, Dephira said:

The DCEU has really been one singular disaster since 2013. 

Batman was an unkillable Box Office draw when they started. Now it takes however many Batmen are in this movie to open below Black Adam numbers

Batman’s fine. The Batman 2 will do extremely well (in much the same way TDK did off of BB). 

I don’t have anywhere near as much positivity for whatever Gunn cooks up with the character though. 

If everything else is very clear it’s nothing to do with the DCEU, I’m sure there will be other successes too.

Edited by FunkMiller

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

The creator is involved and this actually looks very good and loyal to the anime.

This means close to absolutely nothing when it comes to live-action versions of Japanese anime. The creator is either “involved”, or just excited that a live-action version has been made. Aside from Cowboy Bebop I’ve never seen a creator be anything but supportive for these things, which is weird because most of them are abysmal (Attack on Titan is one of the worst movies ever made and a must-watch for fans of horrid horrid cinema).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Marathon said:

I miss the early 2010s era of mega-bombs. Disney in particular rained sacks and sacks of dollar bills on supposedly proven directors and reaped the rewards with three wonderful mega-bombs: John Carter, The Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland. Even WB dabbled in this excess, such as green-lighting the one-and-done Wackowskis predictably bombing Jupiter Ascending.

Don't forget Mars Needs Moms, not only an epic flop but one that convinced Disney that movies with Mars in the title wouldn't be hits. So, John Carter of Mars became just John Carter, which really helped with the movie's problem of seeming nondescript to audiences. /s

5 hours ago, The GOAT said:

She could've been in The Dark Knight, instead of Maggie Gilingwhateverhernameis. Pain. Why Tom?

Was always surprised Katie wasn't legally obligated to return for The Dark Knight, given how franchise contracts usually go. Supposedly the way she promoted TomKat more than Batman Begins in 2005 didn't go over well with WB and her performance was fine but nothing extraordinary. Maggie Gyllenhaal is an Oscar nominee but I didn't really buy her as Rachel. Rebecca Hall would have been perfect except she already co-starred with Bale in The Prestige, and maybe Nolan wanted to avoid a retread story arc with those two actors.

4 hours ago, Speedorito said:

YIKES

No BOGO? I kind of wonder how is an emergency price reduction decided: does the studio CEO have to approve it or is it up to the discretion of the marketing department? Are there emergency Zoom meetings on Friday night as the numbers come in?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I need Netflix to go BankRupt

I fear for the day Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa) becomes a Hollywood live action remake... witch is never, I hope.

Edited by Boxx93

16 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Was always surprised Katie wasn't legally obligated to return for The Dark Knight, given how franchise contracts usually go. Supposedly the way she promoted TomKat more Batman Begins in 2005 didn't go over well with WB

Didn’t she pass on it because she wanted to do Mad Money.

• Like 1