Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

19 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Fans and the producers (who are fans) just got up their own arses with some of this stuff. They thought the audience watching these films were hardcore comic fans who cared about 'Kang' or even about bringing someone back from a poorly received Superman film. 

It's the same with Star Wars. For some reason some have to believe it's the biggest thing in the world or your personally attacking their identity by questioning the reach of their TV shows.

And social media inflates the opinions of this small minority of people way beyond their actual importance. Hardcore fans will always make the most noise on Twitter. The mistake the studios have made - especially WB when it comes to the DCEU - is listening to them. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

And social media inflates the opinions of this small minority of people way beyond their actual importance. Hardcore fans will always make the most noise on Twitter. The mistake the studios have made - especially WB when it comes to the DCEU - is listening to them. 

It’s not just social media. A lot of people on message boards like this one do the very same. Thankfully, we aren’t the ones in charge, and that WB finally hired someone that actually understands how to create epic superhero stories with actual heart on James Gunn. That he’s a full blown accomplished storyteller is a major plus, when the best we had so is Kevin Feige when it comes to world building. He is amazing, but he isn’t James Gunn. I always like to reference this post by brilliant Spider-Man’s comic book writer, which I already posted earlier on a different thread:

Right now, I trust and am confident that Gunn knows the process from all his years in the MCU and we are about to get the good stuff from DC Studios.

55 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

LMAO. Tepid results from the likes of Spider-Man: No Way Home, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Loki and last but not less important Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse? Sure, dawg… whatever makes you feel better about The Flash bombing.

chris-evans-laughing.gif

I'm talking about quality not box-office . Only ATSV and NWH were generally well recieved.  

You looking at it only from the perspective of money . If MCU has put up those numbers why is there downturn in interest ,why are they delaying projects and slowing down. Multiversal aspect has definitely caused some sort of fatigue .

Whatever makes me feel better about  the flash bombing ??? . After initial estimates have been predicting this do sub 300m . Just because I liked it ain't gonna change that LMAO.

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I'm talking about quality not box-office . Only ATSV and NWH were generally well recieved.  

You looking at it only from the perspective of money . If MCU has put up those numbers why is there downturn in interest ,why are they delaying projects and slowing down. Multiversal aspect has definitely caused some sort of fatigue .

Whatever makes me feel better about  the flash bombing ??? . After initial estimates have been predicting this do sub 300m . Just because I liked it ain't gonna change that LMAO.

Are you seriously trying to imply that *check notes* Loki and Multiverse of Madness weren’t well received? Everything Everywhere All At Once? Serioisly, dude. LOL.

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not just social media. A lot of people on message boards like this one do the very same. Thankfully, we aren’t the ones in charge, and that WB finally hired someone that actually understands how to create epic superhero stories with actual heart on James Gunn. That he’s a full blown accomplished storyteller is a major plus, when the best we had so is Kevin Feige when it comes to world building. He is amazing, but he isn’t James Gunn. I always like to reference this post by brilliant Spider-Man’s comic book writer, which I already posted earlier on a different thread:

If Gunn is actually left in total charge, then I'd agree and say that there's a better chance of the next iteration will be better than the DCEU was. But to be honest, I don't feel all that confident that is going to happen. Zaslav will be Zaslav.

Also, I don't think continuing to pursue a grand, unified shared universe is the right way to proceed at this stage in the lifecycle of the superhero movie. I'd have been far happier if Gunn had just announced Superman, and nothing else. I can easily see a situation where once again the executives at WB rush things, because they are impatient for profits.

Honestly, I feel like Gunn walking off the whole thing and WB being sold off again is the more likely scenario, than him being able to carry out his long term plans.

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

If Gunn is actually left in total charge, then I'd agree and say that there's a better chance of the next iteration will be better than the DCEU was. But to be honest, I don't feel all that confident that is going to happen. Zaslav will be Zaslav.

Also, I don't think continuing to pursue a grand, unified shared universe is the right way to proceed at this stage in the lifecycle of the superhero movie. I'd have been far happier if Gunn had just announced Superman, and nothing else. I can easily see a situation where once again the executives at WB rush things, because they are impatient for profits.

Honestly, I feel like Gunn walking off the whole thing and WB being sold off again is the more likely scenario, than him being able to carry out his long term plans.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s obvious that WB is going to be sold again. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t keeping James Gunn. If DC loses Gunn, what you will get is Gunn going back to Marvel Studios and blowing everyone’s heads once again. Yes, Zaslav is an idiot, but I don’t think the old school approach works any longer. Yes, The Batman and Joker did well, but that doesn’t mean that’s the only way that DC needs to go. In fact, it’s not sustainable. Why? Well, you get your The Batman trilogy, awesome. What happens afterwards? Yet another retelling of Batman? How long WB will have to wait for that? I understand that you personally prefer isolated stories like the old days, but there are more reasons to make the actual DC Universe bigger than one director’s take that goes far beyond fans preferences.

Use Domestic 50%,International 40% and China 25% formula to calculate the theatrical rental and net theatrical profit(without other cost and income, just see box office can cover product cost or not):
Quantumania 
Domestic :214.5M
International :209.7
China :39.4M
Theatrical:~201M
Production Cost:200M
Net Theatrical Profit:+1M😂

Shazam 2
Domestic :57.6M
International :68.5M
China :6M
Theatrical:~58M
Production Cost:100M-125M
Net Theatrical Profit:-42M-67M

Mario
Domestic :572M
International :738.4M
China :24.8M
Theatrical:~588M
Production Cost:100M
Net Theatrical Profit:+488M

Gotg 3
Domestic :344.3M
International :387.5M
China :89.3
Theatrical:~349M
Production Cost:250M
Net Theatrical Profit:+99M

Spider-Man AtSV
Domestic :280.3M
International :166.9M
China :42.1M
Theatrical:~217M
Production Cost:100M
Net Theatrical Profit:+117M

38 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Are you seriously trying to imply that *check notes* Loki and Multiverse of Madness weren’t well received? Everything Everywhere All At Once? Serioisly, dude. LOL.

Talking about CBMS .check OP.

MOM yes it wasn't well recieved . B+ CS is one of the lowest for the mcu and it had really shitty legs with basically no major competition till TGM. It has same CS at TLT which also wasn't well recieved . Like the movie and some don't like to hear this but it wasn't a well received movie by MCU standards

Yeah forgot about Loki but agree that was well recieved..

Once again  DS2 ,TLT, BPWF made had 100m+ profit, quantumania even after it's box-office may end up profitable.

Why is Disney making changes and slowing down production then???. 

Audience feedback on the quality of films (4 B CS ). The multiverse saga isn't being particularly excuted well and it has produced a considerable amount of mixed results enough to reduce audience enthusiasm in the franchise.

Just now, Liiviig 1998 said:

Talking about CBMS .check OP.

MOM yes it wasn't well recieved . B+ CS is one of the lowest for the mcu and it had really shitty legs with basically no major competition till TGM. It has same CS at TLT which also wasn't well recieved . Like the movie and some don't like to hear this but it wasn't a well received movie by MCU standards

Yeah forgot about Loki but agree that was well recieved..

Once again  DS2 ,TLT, BPWF made had 100m+ profit, quantumania even after it's box-office may end up profitable.

Why is Disney making changes and slowing down production then???. 

Audience feedback on the quality of films (4 B CS ). The multiverse saga isn't being particularly excuted well and it has produced a considerable amount of mixed results enough to reduce audience enthusiasm in the franchise.

Dude, are you even proof reading what you’re writing here or just spewing ‘Marvel is declining’ non sense? What about Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is about multiverses? What about Thor: Love and Thunder is about multiverses? Hell, other than featuring Kang, what about Quantumania is about multiverses?! As for Marvel Studios changing their schedules… what do you even mean by this, lol? Delays and changes happened in the MCU since it’s very beginning. Your original claim was that films featuring multiverse storylines received a tepid reception before The Flash. Then you changed your tune to claim that it wasn’t about money but how they were perceived, which is just crazy shit. Marvel Studios aren’t ‘declining’, and their changes of schedules and delays are happening because if you aren’t aware, there is a strike going on right now that might delay not just Marvel Studios productions, but everything else. 

So yeah… with Marvel Studios releasing Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Sony releasing Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse being two of the best blockbuster films of the year both when it comes to box offfice and reception back to back this year and hell, even Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantumania earlier this year, saying that there is a decline of interest is more wishful thinking than anything else. Ant-Man never was a big MCU franchise. It has always been like this. That film might not be the best, but I can guarantee you that I’m not alone in saying that me and the GA are more interested on Scott Lang’s non sense through the quantumverse than whatever The Flash is, and with good reason because Marvel Studios created a natural build up for that.

Wishing that Marvel will fail isn’t nothing new. It isn’t novel. We’ve been hearing about the MCU decline since Age of Ultron. And here we are.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Dude, are you even proof reading what you’re writing here or just spewing ‘Marvel is declining’ non sense? What about Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is about multiverses? What about Thor: Love and Thunder is about multiverses? Hell, other than featuring Kang, what about Quantumania is about multiverses?! As for Marvel Studios changing their schedules… what do you even mean by this, lol? Delays and changes happened in the MCU since it’s very beginning. Your original claim was that films featuring multiverse storylines received a tepid reception before The Flash. Then you changed your tune to claim that it wasn’t about money but how they were perceived, which is just crazy shit. Marvel Studios aren’t ‘declining’, and their changes of schedules and delays are happening because if you aren’t aware, there is a strike going on right now that might delay not just Marvel Studios productions, but everything else. 

So yeah… with Marvel Studios releasing Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Sony releasing Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse being two of the best blockbuster films of the year both when it comes to box offfice and reception back to back this year and hell, even Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantumania earlier this year, saying that there is a decline of interest is more wishful thinking than anything else. Ant-Man never was a big MCU franchise. It has always been like this. That film might not be the best, but I can guarantee you that I’m not alone in saying that me and the GA are more interested on Scott Lang’s non sense through the quantumverse than whatever The Flash is, and with good reason because Marvel Studios created a natural build up for that.

Wishing that Marvel will fail isn’t nothing new. It isn’t novel. We’ve been hearing about the MCU decline since Age of Ultron. And here we are.

Honestly I don't get the cinemascore for The Flash. I watched it yesterday and I thought it was quite solid and pretty entertaining. Sure there are things that can be improved, specially on the third act, but overall it is a good movie. Controversies aside, I don't think it is as divisive as Batman v Superman or Multiverse of Madness. 

I think this movie had the perfect storm to be a bomb. Ezra controversy, DCEU being rebooted, opening after two great superhero movies (one of them also multiverse related)...I think it is also pretty confusing for general audiencies what they are doing with DC. I mean if you want to copy Marvel fine but at least do it well. Marvel had proper solo films before events and crossovers. It's like they are not taking to properly introduce characters so we care about them when they interact with others, it's like if Marvel would have done Multiverse of Madness as the first Doctor Strange movie or Civil War as the first Captain America movie.

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

multiverse stories has already oversaturated the CBM . Like God how many multiverse related projects from 2021-2023 and most have released to tepid results and have been majorly been used for fanservice cameos and have overall hindered stakes in stories.

👆Note "CBM" .  Man just read my comments . It's just like you decide to ignore what I'm saying.

Literally said all 2022 movies were profitable . and I literally said audience enthusiasm is down evidenced by 4  BCS.  And once again I said " multiverse saga" in my second post . WF is part of that. QM is definitely multiverse film lol.

Yes I think reception has a hand to play a hand in the delays too.

Your cherry picking what you want to read.

Dude saying MCU is declining is not wishing it to fail? After AOU MCU was still swimming in As  .

And again what's with  the comparison with the flash again? 

You literally misrepresenting everything iam saying .

I do think we'll eventually see fatigue with multiverse and/or time loop stuff that seems pretty common now. But, it's not here yet. Can't have stuff as big as Spider Verse and say it is. But, eventually it'll kick in. It's too pervasive in blockbusters for people not to tire of it eventually here. It's one of the things that was refreshing about Guardians 3... It almost felt like a throwback. Ant Man 3, Spider Verse and Flash all feature it especially the later two but you feel it in Ant Man because with NWH and MoM, MCU is all in on it. And, because of the ending of Ant Man.

When is Loki Season 2?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Thanks 1

Multiverse of Madness definitely had not good reception.

If is the 2nd movie after Batman vs Superman to not make 1 billion after having more than 400 million opening.

But is not a Multiverse problem, it's a movie problem, movie wasn't good enough, Multiverse didn't have to do anything with it.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 2