Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

48 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I just finally caught the full trailer for TMNT Mutant Mayhem... Looks much better than I expected. Also didn't realize the co-director of Mitchell's vs. Machines is the director. If it's good, does it have potential to break out a bit? 

I don't think so. Its main problem is that kids these days don't give a shit about the Turtles, and the rest of the audience was burned out by Michael Bay's movies. And that's not even getting into the larger struggles the medium has had ever since the pandemic. It has a hard ceiling, and that ceiling is Smurfs The Lost Village numbers. They should have done a story-driven, Gravity Falls-style reboot on TV first to make the brand relevant again before going into another theatrical movie. At least in the worst case scenario the brand would still have alternate means to stay alive in case the movie relaunch failed, like Earthspark and One for Transformers.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I don't think so. Its main problem is that kids these days don't give a shit about the Turtles, and the rest of the audience was burned out by Michael Bay's movies. And that's not even getting into the larger struggles the medium has had ever since the pandemic. It has a hard ceiling, and that ceiling is Smurfs The Lost Village numbers. They should have done a story-driven, Gravity Falls-style reboot on TV first to make the brand relevant again before going into another theatrical movie. At least in the worst case scenario the brand would still have alternate means to stay alive in case the movie relaunch failed, like Earthspark and One for Transformers.

I mean… I barely remember that the TMNT Michael Bay joints even existed lol. I swear I didn’t even remember they existed until you mentioned. While I think you could be into something, this trailer released like two weeks ago has 12m+ views already:

If WOM is strong - and it’s starting to look like it will, I could see it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Sure, from studios perspective this is why they make movies … money, always, therefore they are products.

I just don’t believe we as audiences should think of movies the same way, just like the artists don’t do it. Like Nope to keep the example, i wouldn’t like to see a worse version of it due lack of budget … from a commercial pov i’m sure every single movie would benefit from being cheaper including this one, still i’m not an executive, these movies aren’t just numbers to me, i want quality first. 

I think it was a mistake for OP to bring up Nope because it's just orthogonal to these debates. Even with Nope's relatively poor performance, it's clear that Peele alone is a brand in the Universal stable. After 2 incredibly lucrative hits, it's 100% rational for Universal to give Peele a significantly larger budget to make a film with a larger potential audience to see what would happen. It didn't fully pan out for universal but you'll make that bet every time especially because Poole really showed he could pull of the larger set pieces in that film. 

• Like 2

I love this franchise and I even love this novel, but this SCREAMS bomb it's not even funny.

I'd watch a movie though with Jennifer and Josh reprising their roles and going in depth prior to the epilogue. Having them go through their relationship post hijacking and post war would be very interesting seeing how they get to the epilogue. 

Just now, MightyDargon said:

Mutant Mayhem should be fine but the most promising thing about it as that it's using a "cartoony" style rather than a hyper realistic one.

It’s giving me Into the Spider-Verse vibes without trying to copy it. I’m actually genuinely impressed with it. I don’t usually go to animated films, I am likely going for this one. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There's been two popular TV shows since Nick got the property in 2010.

12 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Jurassic World Dominion showed that theaters are alive & kicking.

Look at its reception, in the era where even average reception is considered bad, a movie did billion with Horrendous reception.

The Jurassic franchise is an Avengers, Spider-Man, or Star Wars level franchise, so no one was surprised when it did 1 billion with more than average reception(A- Cinemascore)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Also, the new TMNT Shredder’s Revenge videogame is incredibly popular and just got added to PS Plus. I think it’s on XBox Game Pass too.

https://kotaku.com/tmnt-shredder-s-revenge-1-million-sold-game-pass-1849174885

Also The Last Ronin is getting a game adaptation inspired by big action RPGs such as God of War:
https://www.polygon.com/23645176/tmnt-last-ronin-video-game-graphic-novel-ninja-turtles

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean… I barely remember that the TMNT Michael Bay joints even existed lol. I swear I didn’t even remember they existed until you mentioned. While I think you could be into something, this trailer released like two weeks ago has 12m+ views already:

If WOM is strong - and it’s starting to look like it will, I could see it. 

I kinda think there's somewhat of a lower ceiling like the other poster but the trailer is great. The creatives behind it are proven. Looks like a fun one. I'm hoping for 100M+ DOM (Essentially matching the admissions of Out of the Shadows). I think that that's doable. It wouldn't shock me if both it and Meg 2 do a bit better than expected. Excited for both.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

The Jurassic franchise is an Avengers, Spider-Man, or Star Wars level franchise, so no one was surprised when it did 1 billion with more than average reception(A- Cinemascore)

That A-ha Cinemascore is outlier, maybe a sampling error, Posttrack was indicating a worse score.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I kinda think there's somewhat of a lower ceiling like the other poster but the trailer is great. The creatives behind it are proven. Looks like a fun one. I'm hoping for 100M+ DOM (Essentially matching the admissions of Out of the Shadows). I think that that's doable. It wouldn't shock me if both it and Meg 2 do a bit better than expected. Excited for both.

The films I’m likely watching at a movie theater for the rest of the year are likely Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, TMNT Mutant Mayhem, Blue Beetle and Marvels. Not that excited for anything else. Maybe Dune 2, but I won’t get out of my way to see it. If it’s something my friends will be up for it sure, but that’s the current plan.

25 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Mutant Mayhem should be fine but the most promising thing about it as that it's using a "cartoony" style rather than a hyper realistic one.

I'm surprised I didn't know until today that he directory worked on Mitchell's v. Machines. Animation in that is kinda in the Spider-Verse mold. Creatives aren't that different than Spider-Verse creatives. Jeff Rowe even worked with Lord and Miller on Mitchell's. Give me faith that it could be a good or even very good time at the movies.

Is Katie from 'The Mitchells vs. The Machines' LGBTQIA+?

Might need input from @TwoMisfits on this one as to whether they think kids will wanna see this new Turtles enough to carry it over 100M+ DOM if it's a good movie?