Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I'd be curious to see the distribution of a poll for next weekend's number 1, there are four clear contenders and even Asteroid City could challenge if it expands beyond expectations

I don't have the numbers in front of me but when has Wes Anderson ever had a movie open above 10 million?

3 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Okay. Complete hypothetical, not movie in production.
Say WB did a Keaton Batman movie in the style of Logan or something that was completely unconnected to the DCEU and was JUST about Batman and his attempt at a "last ride" in a doomed Gotham.

You can say "Keaton isn't Tom Cruise" or whatever but I seriously think THAT would have made money. Of course it would also have to be genuinely good like Logan was but I think it's stupid to write off Keaton's Batman as they did.

He did this. It was called Birdman.

Keaton is just too long ago. Logan is still relevant. No one actually cares about who played Batman, they want to see Batman - and they did with The Batman.

People in the media and online talked a lot of trash about the Rock and "Black Adam" performance but when you pull the curtain back, General Audiences do not know "Black Adam" like that yet The Rock almost got it to 400 Million WW.   The "Flash" had 2 Batman's in it so what's the excuse?   "Black Adam" wasn't as bad of a performance as many proclaimed again I think the budget  was a little much for a character not known as much. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

I'd say this is perfect karma for this piece of trash Zaslav.

Don't know about how to build DC bramd back up, but if you want to see more comedy then remove Gunn and give DC to twitter comic book nerds. 

32 minutes ago, M37 said:

Pretty sure Flash didn't have a two week IMAX exclusive, or tickets would have been on sale for upcoming weekend in advance of release (see Indy 5 and Oppenheimer, for example)

So most likely its a split/discretion week, with ATSV, Flash, and maybe even Transformers getting some IMAX and other PLF shows (the same thing we saw on this same weekend last year when Elvis and Black Phone opened, but PLFs were shared among JWD, TGM, and even LY)

I can understand Flash still being the primary option, but have a full run everywhere is just dumb 

Bet most of the non-IMAX PLFs switch to ATSV, so AMC going to make a killing on the Dolby shows 

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

How many more movies have to fail before the board gives Zaslav the boot, this is three in a row that have severely underperformed.

None of the movies released by WB under Zaslav were made by him. So he can say that these weren’t his fault but the old leadership (though his hyping of certain films didn’t help).

isn’t Barbie gonna be the first movie released that he green lit? 

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filmscholar said:

People in the media and online talked a lot of trash about the Rock and "Black Adam" performance but when you pull the curtain back, General Audiences do not know "Black Adam" like that yet The Rock almost got it to 400 Million WW.   The "Flash" had 2 Batman's in it so what's the excuse?   "Black Adam" wasn't as bad of a performance as many proclaimed again I think the budget  was a little much for a character not known as much. 

I've been saying from the beginning that Rock is a Star, a genuine Star.

And he should be given what he wanted and WB were making him look the villain for Black Adam stuff.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I actually bought Black Adam on iTunes when it came out, not proud of it. With that said, while the execution with the Justice Society of America was nowhere near flawless, I actually dig Hawkman and Dr. Fate. Wouldn’t be mad seeing them again.

It's a huge shame they were wasted so close to the end of the franchise, as it greatly diminishes the chances of those characters ever appearing on screen again for at least another decade. Pierce and Aldis were definitely great though. I kind of wanted a whole movie around Fate after seeing Black Adam.

• Like 5

I don't think BA was ever a terrible performance tbh - even back then I think I said the main problem was tbe budget being way too high

...though in hindsight the film (and Rock in particular) has been vindicated a lot, the brand is so weak there's really no other way the film would've gone that high other than for him

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't have the numbers in front of me but when has Wes Anderson ever had a movie open above 10 million?

Never, his biggest weekend was with Grand Budapest Hotel at $8,539,795

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

How many more movies have to fail before the board gives Zaslav the boot, this is three in a row that have severely underperformed.

I don’t think people understand what is Zaslav’s master plan here. WBD is clearly being prepped for another merger. I think it’s a matter of time before Amazon / Microsoft or even Netflix take a swing at it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I'd say this is perfect karma for this piece of trash Zaslav.

To be fair a Batgirl releasing at this point would probably have been yet another flop so it at least saved them a little bit of embarrassment.

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

None of the movies released by WB under Zaslav were made by him. So he can say that these weren’t his fault (though his hyping of certain films didn’t help).

No, Barbie was greenlit prior to the Discovery merger. They were far along enough to provide a first look image on the very month said merger closed.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t think people understand what is Zaslav’s master plan here. WBD is clearly being prepped for another merger. I think it’s a matter of time before Amazon / Microsoft or even Netflix take a swing at it.

The Office Thank You GIF

Seriously, this is such an obvious pump and dump scheme it's not even funny. That's why I'm not going to get too excited about James Gunn's slate just yet. The way DC has been, there's a scarily real chance he could have clashed with regime number 30101717151 and left by the time Superman Legacy makes it to theaters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

None of the movies released by WB under Zaslav were made by him. So he can say that these weren’t his fault but the old leadership (though his hyping of certain films didn’t help).

If I'm not wrong, the first movies green lit by Zaslav are Joker 2 and The Batman 2