Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

The Pixar fall from grace is insane. Elemental has to have an incredible 4x multi merely to match Lightyear DOM, which was an epic bomb. It’s absolutely dire. I simply don’t know what they’re going to do. Disney killed them with the D+ shaming and diluting of the brand, and they can’t seem to make a film anymore that really hits that classic Pixar top tier quality for most people either. Even their good stuff recently hasn’t fallen into that category. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Both The Rock and Cavill are/were represented by the same agents iirc.

Cavill didn't have a contract at the time and his scene at the end had to be digitally superglued into the movie. It managed to juice the OW to the point that Black Adam's gross is higher than what Beasts will ultimately make, but was still nowhere near enough for the movie to actually make money.

It was clearly a last minute patch to try to hype the thing. "The power dynamic has shifted" or whatever.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What James Gunn has planned is somewhat inspired so there might be a novelty factor that allows DCU to begin with a clean slate.

Is the clean slate in the room with us rn?

I honestly think the soft reboot is a mistake and it's only a matter of time the new dceu implode once again once they introduce the old dceu characters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Pixar fall from grace is insane. Elemental has to have an incredible 4x multi merely to match Lightyear DOM, which was an epic bomb. It’s absolutely dire. I simply don’t know what they’re going to do. Disney killed them with the D+ shaming and deluding of the brand, and they can’t seem to make a film anymore that really hits that classic Pixar top tier quality for most people either. Even their good stuff recently hasn’t fallen into that category. 

Looks like it's up to Elio and Inside Out 2 now.

1 minute ago, Boxx93 said:

I really thought Elemental was gonna do more. I'm still processing this.

It's pretty dire. Shame too cause the movie is pretty great but guess the brand being on Disney+ for two years have really crippled Disney's animation side. At this point I'm willing to call it for Wish as well but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, GipJo said:

Is the clean slate in the room with us rn?

I honestly think the soft reboot is a mistake and it's only a matter of time the new dceu implode once again once they introduce the old dceu characters.

Other than very few Suicide Squad characters, I don’t think anyone is coming back. Not even Gadot or Momoa.

• Like 1

I kinda feel Pixar's failure needs to be talked about more than DC's here. At least the main problem with the DCEU was that TOO MANY people were trying to do their own thing and it kind of fell victim to a clusterfuck of internal politics and splintered fandoms. But at least there were efforts being made, no matter how misguided.

With Pixar, with one exception (Inside Out), for more than a decade they coasted on inconsistent sequels of pre-established IPs and didn't pay much attention to original ideas. Finally when a crop of new concepts came around, Disney unceremoniously dumped them on OTT, even when people were ready to watch movies in theatres like in Turning Red's case.

At this point, it's viewed as a Disney+ brand other than the usual suspects like a potential Incredibles 3. I don't even know if TS5 will be a big success considering the mixed reactions to TS4, its almost zero cultural stay, and Lightyear's terrible performance. Pixar is way more fucked than DC IMO. Which is horrific considering how ahead it was of other studios in terms of quality and popularity in the 2000s

• Like 4

Meh, I'd rather pull a Jurassic Park and let the DC Universe other than Batman/his associated characters take a decade off.

Also if you're gonna do a Keaton Batman it should absolutely be a Dark Knight Returns type story ABOUT Batman and not just him as some old Luke Skywalker crank.

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

I kinda feel Pixar's failure needs to be talked about more than DC's here. At least the main problem with the DCEU was that TOO MANY people were trying to do their own thing and it kind of fell victim to a clusterfuck of internal politics and splintered fandoms. But at least there were efforts being made, no matter how misguided.

With Pixar, with one exception (Inside Out), for more than a decade they coasted on inconsistent sequels of pre-established IPs and didn't pay much attention to original ideas. Finally when a crop of new concepts came around, Disney unceremoniously dumped them on OTT, even when people were ready to watch movies in theatres like in Turning Red's case.

At this point, it's viewed as a Disney+ brand other than the usual suspects like a potential Incredibles 3. I don't even know if TS5 will be a big success considering the mixed reactions to TS4, its almost zero cultural stay, and Lightyear's terrible performance. Pixar is way more fucked than DC IMO. Which is horrific considering how ahead it was of other studios in terms of quality and popularity in the 2000s

I wouldn't go that far... yet. 

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Pixar gets merged into Disney animation by the end of the decade. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

No, we didn't treat him harshly enough. Black Adam still lost boatloads of money with his star demands and having him fight Cavill's Superman would be even more expensive. Snyderverse is dead, get over it.

For the record, I don't really care about the Snyderverse or whatever. In fact, I'm honestly really confused as to why Zack Snyder of all directors has such an intense cult following. Never made sense to me. This entire situation we're in now can be traced back to his decisions and WB's failure to not just give the whole thing a complete and hard reboot. 

I'm more in disbelief at what I said there. Having The Rock fight Superman should NOT sound like a better idea in hindsight.

• Like 1

Just now, WorkingonaName said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Pixar gets merged into Disney animation by the end of the decade. 

Okay, no. Things are rough, but nowhere near dire enough for that to be a possibility.

16 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

If only I had stuck to my initial 54.321 😆

Couldn’t see this reception coming, but the Fri sales were pretty yikes the whole way through plus relatively predictable +10ish Sat -single sun taking 1.6x to a 6x.

6x sure, warning signs were there, but 1.5x/5.5x I just didn’t see as realistic without the hype of a mega-MCU opening, and with a decent final walk-up push rather than AMWQ-like slide all the way through 

But that’s what we got 

If Wish bombs too... it's game over, man. I don't know how Disney can recover from this. In the past at least they had Lasseter, but now... man, things are about to get ugly in Burbank.

Edited by Boxx93

1 minute ago, Koni said:

For the record, I don't really care about the Snyderverse or whatever. In fact, I'm honestly really confused as to why Zack Snyder of all directors has such an intense cult following. Never made sense to me. This entire situation we're in now can be traced back to his decisions and WB's failure to not just give the whole thing a complete and hard reboot. 

I'm more in disbelief at what I said there. Having The Rock fight Superman should NOT sound like a better idea in hindsight.

IN THEORY having the Rock fight Superman would be money. IN REALITY nobody cares about the Black Adam character outside Shazam arcs and getting Snyderverse fans out for a post Snyder Cavill Superman film is probably more trouble than its worth.