Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

With the pandemic over (?) maybe people wanna recoup the time lost and they are enjoying other forms of entertainment, maybe traveling more. Who knows why this weekend was so bad, not just for the openers, but the holdovers too.

Next weekend No Hard Feeling looks like a flop too. I don't think it will do 20M

Edited by Maggie

I saw Elemental and it is way better than I thought, especially judging from the early negative review. The movie is way more romantically charged than what trailer suggest, and than other Pixar movies. The movie will have a great legs this summer, and I am quite confident with the movie beating LY eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

6x sure, warning signs were there, but 1.5x/5.5x I just didn’t see as realistic without the hype of a mega-MCU opening, and with a decent final walk-up push rather than AMWQ-like slide all the way through 

But that’s what we got 

Flash may not be MCU but it is still a Comic book movie, was never going to have huge walkups like general audience franchise.

Plus it was that Big Cameo Fest which are naturally more frontloaded.

10 minutes ago, JWR said:

Looks like it's up to Elio and Inside Out 2 now.

I can’t see what about Elio would be appealing enough to pull them out of this. It will have to be that classic top tier Pixar quality i mentioned, and bounce back through spectacular WOM. I’d say any kind of big OW is basically a guaranteed no. 

2 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

If Wish bombs too... it's game over, man. I don't know how Disney can recover from this. In the past at least they had Lasseter, but now... man, things are about to get ugly in Burbank.

It's going to be the 80s all over again for the company if that happens.

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

With the pandemic over (?) maybe people wanna recoup the time lost and they are enjoying other forms of entertainment, maybe traveling more. Who know why this weekend was so bad, not just for the openers, but the holdovers too.

Next weekend No Hard Feeling looks like a flop too. I don't think it will do 20M

People have less money to spend than before. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 21C said:

What did the gender split for The Flash end up being?

1 hour ago, Bobzaruni said:

73 M-27 F, I think

THR said 70% this morning. 73% was a preview number so a slight decline makes sense. Or I guess you can read THR claim as rounded https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-flash-box-office-elemental-iced-1235518215/

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

IN THEORY having the Rock fight Superman would be money. IN REALITY nobody cares about the Black Adam character outside Shazam arcs and getting Snyderverse fans out for a post Snyder Cavill Superman film is probably more trouble than its worth.

If Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'ahoole had been more successful, what's the odds we would have heard WB talking about an animated Snyder Superman film?

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

We don't know how audiences will react to a high quality Pixar movie or another popular IP sequel from Pixar.

Remember superhero movies were dead before Guardians 3 came out.

Only fools thought they were "dead" before Guardians 3.

Only overly hopeful people thought they were all back after Guardians 3.

If Zaslav has any functional brain cells left he'll punt Aquaman 2 from the XMas slot and stick Wonka or Dune there after Blue Beetle inevitably bombs next.

Edited by MightyDargon

People got used to streaming and like staying home. Most people I know laugh when they find out I see movies in theaters anymore. Many don't even realize they ever reopened. To people younger than me (29) the idea of going to a theater is probably how I thought of using payphones. I guess it's just obsolete technology. We have to come to grips with this reality.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

The disinterest of female audience going back to theater has been a "headache" for theater chain in post-Covid era. People may underestimate just how much BO was lost because of resistance from female audience. Take a example at JW4, the $73.8m OW attract 31% female but the movie would have gone up to $81m OW, if JW4 managed to attract just as much as female share like JW3 (37%).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

People got used to streaming and like staying home. Most people I know laugh when they find out I see movies in theaters anymore. Many don't even realize they ever reopened. To people younger than me (29) the idea of going to a theater is probably how I thought of using payphones. I guess it's just obsolete technology. We have to come to grips with this reality.

Or the movies in theater suck

• Like 2

I do have to wonder if the whole don’t say gay Disney backlash last year from the crazies in this country has genuinely affected Disney. It would make sense it would hit animation the hardest since these people tend to be your suburban family conservatives who would have lots of kids. Also the type who traditionally loved Disney. I mean, look at what’s happening to Target right now. These bigots are not just some niche or small problem these days, they’re pretty rampant. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I do have to wonder if the whole don’t say gay Disney backlash last year from the crazies in this country has genuinely affected Disney. It would make sense it would hit animation the hardest since these people tend to be your suburban family conservatives who would have lots of kids. Also the type who traditionally loved Disney. I mean, look at what’s happening to Target right now. These bigots are not just some niche or small problem these days, they’re pretty rampant. 

Nothing to do with it at all. Mario wasn't hurt by people complaining about Peach being "Woke."

• Like 1