kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

1 hour ago, MotionPictured said:

People are really running with this $25m payday. It made sense for Don't Look Up because it was a streaming movie so her and Leo got paid upfront because there are no box office points. Why would she get the full payment upfront for a theatrical release? Leo only made $10m for Once Upon a Time. And Jennifer is producing NHF so she likely got paid much less for it because she is getting box office points. Use your common sense.

"And lol if you think studios are paying their stars $25m so they can open movies to $15m, you realize how silly that sounds to say she was any kind of draw with that OW?"

It is only the domestic OW. Ticket to Paradise had a $60m budget and made $16.5m domestic and still saw a profit. I don't understand why people keep dunking on NHF. It seems people want it to flop but unfortunately it is doing just fine?

We're going on a decade of JLaw resentment for some people out there: they've felt she is overrated for years and thus can't wait to latch onto anything negative they read (any sourcing on the $25m for NHF?) and point out what "flops" her movies are. Some people too seem mentally incapable of discussing female celebrities without pitting them against each other and cattily bashing one of them to lift up the other.

Also, because established IP/franchises have rebounded theatrically since the pandemic, it can cause a loss of perspective on how original comedies (and dramas) have performed since 2020. A result that is fine/good for the type of movie it is in the current climate, seems terrible to someone who normally only cares about CBMs, or is stuck on 1990s/2000s notions on what makes someone a box office draw.

Except for 2020, JLaw's had at least one movie per year get released since 2010. She just isn't in franchises now, on top of the other stuff she'd make.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

We're going on a decade of JLaw resentment for some people out there: they've felt she is overrated for years and thus can't wait to latch onto anything negative they read (any sourcing on the $25m for NHF?) and point out what "flops" her movies are. Some people too seem mentally incapable of discussing female celebrities without pitting them against each other and cattily bashing one of them to lift up the other.

Also, because established IP/franchises have rebounded theatrically since the pandemic, it can cause a loss of perspective on how original comedies (and dramas) have performed since 2020. A result that is fine/good for the type of movie it is in the current climate, seems terrible to someone who normally only cares about CBMs, or is stuck on 1990s/2000s notions on what makes someone a box office draw.

Except for 2020, JLaw's had at least one movie per year get released since 2010.

I like JLaw. My single grievance with her was her role as Mystique, but that was so long that I barely remember it happened. There are lot of weird hate ons with actresses lately that I just can’t understand it for the life of me.

Not enough to watch No Hard Feelings at a movie theater maybe, but I’m interested to see it eventually.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’d argue that either Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse have seats at the table when it comes to the best superhero films of all time, if that’s what Zaslav, Gunn, Cruise, King, Del Toro and all the bloggers were talking about. There is a clear silver lining for me here, instead of one, we got two of the best superhero films of all time. Just not the one that it was been hyped as such.

Those are not even near the best superhero films of all time.

TDK trilogy, The Batman and Logan is way better movies than those. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the source on Jennifer Lawrence's pay for the film: 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/jennifer-lawrence-gene-stupnitsky-sony-no-hard-feelings-1235030372/

"The project hit the town a few weeks ago, generating plenty of buzz. But the price tag gave some sticker shock - Lawrence was looking for a $25 Million payday, and Stupinsky's fee was also in the seven figures."

It's very weird being accused of hating on Jennifer Lawrence and the movie just because I answered a question someone asked (especially since I've been pretty positive about the film on here!). I didn't say anything negative about the film or anyone involved. If other people are then yeah they're dumb but don't drag me into that. Some of you seriously need to calm the hell down.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

If Jennifer Lawrence and her team really convinced Sony to pay her 25 million for this movie then good for her! It’s really on Sony if that expense is justified or not (assuming it’s real).

Maybe the nude scene blew up her paycheck anyone remember what Demi Moore Got for her striptease nude role 

33 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I still don't get what essence you are talking about, but agree to disagree I guess.

Yeah. I'm not totally sure what is the essence of Spiderman that MCU movies mantained.

I mean, I'm not necessarily dislike the changes for MCU Spiderman, but the changes to the character are pretty big. So, it's difficult to say the essence is mantained.

29 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Here's the source on Jennifer Lawrence's pay for the film: 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/jennifer-lawrence-gene-stupnitsky-sony-no-hard-feelings-1235030372/

"The project hit the town a few weeks ago, generating plenty of buzz. But the price tag gave some sticker shock - Lawrence was looking for a $25 Million payday, and Stupinsky's fee was also in the seven figures."

It's very weird being accused of hating on Jennifer Lawrence and the movie just because I answered a question someone asked (especially since I've been pretty positive about the film on here!). I didn't say anything negative about the film or anyone involved. Some of you seriously need to calm the hell down.

Thanks for the information. The story does note that the final package amount couldn't be verified and the streaming sevices dropped out of the bidding war because of the $25 million salary demand. The movie got made, but I wonder if it's like that scrapped Nancy Meyers movie where the budget/salaries were going to be higher at Netflix than a traditional studio.

BOGO on Flash? Lolol

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yeah. I'm not totally sure what is the essence of Spiderman that MCU movies mantained.

I mean, I'm not necessarily dislike the changes for MCU Spiderman, but the changes to the character are pretty big. So, it's difficult to say the essence is mantained.

Doesn't the Tom Holland Spider Man go through every single (Spider Verse Spoiler)

Spoiler

Canon Event that is mentioned in Spider Verse? With Tony acting as a Police Captain stand-in?

He's also a cocky, smart-talking scientist genius teenager who loves his family and MJ, and is torn between his duty to protect NY, his secret identity and his loved ones... tries to go big and prove himself too early, and gets humbled by multiple deaths in his close circle. What exactly are the changes that the MCU made to his character? 

Edited by Dephira

2 hours ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

Inaccurate. It takes an upfront debt load to build the customer base but it's certainly profitable. Netflix pulled in nearly $4.5 billion in net income last year and is tracking over $5 billion this year. 

You took the words right out of my mouth, you were quicker. When you're making as much money as they are, you have to keep providing original content like extraction and extraction part 2 and stranger things in Cobra Kai and so on. You have to provide your client base enough properties to get excited about. So they are definitely not losing money.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Flash's drop is kinda shocking when you look at its online audience scores, which are actually decent (80% all audience on RT, 7.3 on IMDb). Cinemascore was the only bad one, I guess they are really the most reliable metric to predict legs.

Flash will be far below imdb 7.0 after 400k reviews, maybe imdb 6.6/6.7

1 hour ago, jasonlawrence said:

Maybe the nude scene blew up her paycheck anyone remember what Demi Moore Got for her striptease nude role 

20 mill

1 hour ago, jasonlawrence said:

Demi Moore was paid 12.5M for Striptease. At the time it was the highest a woman had been paid for a movie as she was coming off of Ghost, A Few Good Men, Indecent Proposal and Disclosure. 

Edited by Flopped

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Huh:

Animation? Color me intrigued with this one. Sounds cool.

Directed by Josh Cooley too, so it's got a really great director at the helm. Feel like this one is going to be a winner quality wise at least. Unsure how well it will do box office wise but they moved it to September with very little in the way of competition.

• Like 1